1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius repair - second opinion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tampaite, Oct 30, 2015.

1. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. There are very few records online. Except for regular oil changes etc the only two that i saw was regarding recalls.

I just found out that Amazon is selling the drive belt for about $16.20 w/o tax and shipping. Will checkout few online videos and steps to see if I can change the belt myself.

#21 tampaite, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Patrick Wong also did a write up on changing the belt and the water pump at the same time.

All the work can be done from the top side also. No need for the rack like what is shown in the video.

Don't over tension the belt. If you do, the water pump will leak.

valde3 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are close to Tampa FL, we have a great member that operates tampaprius.com. He should be able to do the services you need, he specializes in Gen2 cars, sells a bunch of them.

4. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I checked out their website - looks like they have an inventory of Gen2 vehicles and they probably work on Hybrid batteries but I don't see that they do repair jobs like transmission flush or engine and coolant flush etc. do they?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ask him, he's a member here.....search tampaprius.com is his user name

rogerthat likes this.
  6. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ordered the belt from Amazon so should have it soon.

Still on the fence about the tranmission service - I looked at the dealer website and they have below two description. Based on the price quote($175) it matches #2. Is this what's recommended?

What is the difference between Transmission Service(Drain&Fill) Vs Transmission Fluid Exchange Service.

#1. Transmission Service (Drain & Fill) : Basic Transmission Service and Drain and Refill System - $59.95 Plus Tax and Shop Supplies

#2. Transmission Fluid Exchange Service: Using specialized equipment, we add an oil dispersant to clean and suspend harmful varnish and sludge in the old transmission fluid. Old fluid is then replaced with new transmission fluid.
    TT fluid add additional $15.00 - $168.95 Plus Tax and Shop Supplies

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a transaxle fluid drain and refill using Toyota WS fluid (4 quarts). No other explanation to it.

8. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the belt yesterday - Took it to my local mechanic and they installed it. I watched the installation process - very qucik - took them like maybe 15 minutes or so. Definitely a DIY project but I was a bit hesistant replacing myself.

Total price - $16 for the belt and $30 to install = $46

9. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    For the transmission service, as others have stated, all you need is a drain and fill.
    • 4 qts Toyota WS fluid (mine took 3.5 quarts to reach the fill hole after draining, but I've heard of it taking anywhere from 3.5 to 4)
    • 2 crush washers (optional, but recommended)
    • 24 mm socket (iirc)
    • 10 mm (hex bit)
    • torque wrench (29 ft-lbs when you put the plugs back in, iirc)
    • Fluid pump or funnel w/extension to get the WS fluid into the fill hole
    That should be all you need for the job. The fluid is about $9/qt at my dealer right now. This is a $50 DIY (including some cost for tools if you don't already have everything you need) or a $100 max mechanic job. It should take no more than 15-30 minutes. And yes, that would be recommended by virtually everyone here.

You already got the belt done, that's great. I would have recommended that, and you got a good price, so that's even better.

I would also recommend the coolant exchange. I personally wouldn't do a DIY for this on my Priuses, but the dealer price seems high. The mechanic who changed out your belt would likely give you a better deal, just be sure they use the proper Toyota-specified fluids.

As for the EFI and induction service, I wouldn't do it if I wasn't having problems, but with 150k, it might not be such a bad idea. Your call. I don't think the price is great, but it's not too terrible either. Maybe see what your other mechanic can do for you there.

Brake system is probably a good idea as well. Not terrible/not great price from the dealer. I'd check with your other mechanic for price on this as well.

#29 johnnyb588, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You know, I have doing auto repair for years (DIY/shade tree) and I have found the Prius one of the easier cars to work on. Additionally, you have all the helpful threads on this website.

11. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am still considering changing the engine coolant, inverter coolant and transaxle fluid at either Dealership or with a local mechanic based on cost.

Are the below the correct parts number for 2007 prius?

Engine and Inverter Coolant: Amazon.com: Toyota Genuine Fluid 00272-SLLC2 Long Life Coolant - 1 Gallon: Automotive

Transaxle fluid: Amazon.com: Genuine Toyota Lexus Automatic Transmission Fluid 1QT WS ATF World Standard (4 Pack): Automotive

Since I have to buy fluids in gallons online, I believe I need about 3 gallons of Engine and Inverter Coolant and 1 gallon of Transaxle fluid.

WS_ATF fluid is about $38(1 gallon)
    SLLC2 fluid is about $75(3 gallons)

Is that right?

#31 tampaite, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  12. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My coolant wasn't that old when I changed it during a coolant valve replacement, so I only used two gallons. When I drained the ICE system, 6 qts came out, and 2 qts out of the inverter. I didn't try to get every last drop out, though. By spec, the capacities are about 9 and 3, so theoretically you should need 3 gallons. Your items, quantities and prices sound right and match what I paid at the local dealer.

tampaite likes this.
  13. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Those fluids are correct. I haven't purchased the SLLC from my dealer recently, so I can't verify whether that's a good price or not, but the WS is a good price. I paid $9.29/qt a couple of months ago.

tampaite likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [
    Toyota refers to the Prius transmission as a "transaxle", and cautions that nothing but Toyota ATF-WS fluid should be put in. The above ad bodes troublesome. All you do:

Raise and level the car, drain the fluid (90%+ will come out) and refill with Toyota ATF-WS 'till it starts coming back out. Four liters or quarts is sufficient to purchase (around $10 per) and it'll take around 3.5.

15. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so after reading several PC member's experiences about fluid changes, decided to call up another Toyota dealer in Tampa and they provide me with a phone quote for $367(after 15% service coupons) for Transaxle fluid change(drain and fill), engine coolant(drain and fill) and inverter coolant(drain and fill) compared to the $615 provided by a different dealer.

I was happy :) since they quoted almost half the price of the other dealer and took the car-in.

They said it will take couple of hours and I left the dealership to go back home only to get a call 1.5 hours later and quoting me $1200 for several additional things that need to be fixed.
    I immediately drove to the dealership since phone conversation was getting difficult and I never provide authorization for services over the phone courtesy PC. They suggested(or recommended) that I do induction service, tune up, replace front brakes, clean and adjust rear brakes, fuel injector service, change spark plugs, wiper blades along with engine water pump change.

I declined all except spark plugs(figured it might be due,due to the miles on the car), wiper blades(needed this for sure) and engine water pump(they said it was leaking)

They declined to perform trans-axle fluid change claiming it was life-long fluid, declined to change invert-er coolant and said I didn't have to change engine coolant since it was likely performed during a safety recall. I maybe interchanging engine coolant vs invert-er coolant so pardon me since it was getting difficult to have a conversation with lot of jargons thrown around and how risky it was to drive with leaking water pump and it needed immediate fix.

PS: we were going to take the Prius for a 8 hour trip for thanksgiving so that played into my mind when making decisions.

I did a safety recall in 2013 and the description is as below

Recall Link: 2007 TOYOTA PRIUS | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Question: Since they performed the above safety recall, can I assume that took care of the inverter coolant change or the engine coolant change?
    Also, is the water pump from the above recall different than what's being replaced?

They quoted me $520 even for changing spark plugs(~$100), wiper blades(~$30) and engine water pump(~$390). This was after a 15% service discount coupon.
    Car is still at the dealership until tomorrow evening since the Prius technician is gone for the day!

#35 tampaite, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  16. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The dealer did not change my car's inverter coolant under the inverter pump recall. It was practically brand new at the time. Do not assume it was changed.

The engine water pump is not affected by the recall. I hired the dealer to replace the engine coolant pump and paid extra for new coolant at that time. They were going to put the old stuff back in.

17. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up the car this morning and carefully looked at the invoice.

The engine water pump was replaced(possible Part # 16100-29157-83) and along with it I see that Super Long Life C(00272-SLLC2) which is the coolant liquid was replaced. I was afraid they might recycle the existing coolant.

The service advisor confirmed and I have a note that as per the safety recall for the inverter water pump, they changed the inverter coolant as well so am covered for both the coolant for another 100k miles or so.

They gave it in writing that the transaxel fluid does not require changing since it's a life long fluid unless absolutely requested by the customer so I let it go.
    I have read several reviews where PC members changed the transaxle fluid but if Toyota dealer can provide it in writing then am confident that it doesn't have to be changed anytime sooner.

Overally, for the spark plugs(possible Part # 90080-91184) and wiper blades and engine water pump and engine coolant change the total price was $520 which was reasonable.

Question: Of the several recommended repairs, one of them was the fuel injection service - can I use Chevron Techron 65740 Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner occasionally and will that provide adeqate cleaning ?

#37 tampaite, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  18. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's interesting to me that so many dealers are refusing to do this service. If they actually look at their fluids when they get drained, they'd realize "lifetime" doesn't mean forever.

#38 johnnyb588, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  19. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I changed my transaxle fluid on my 05, it was very dirty. I changed it at 149,000 and 8 years old. I would highly recommend changing it at 100k. I changed it at 149k b/c that's the mileage I bought the car at and there was no record of it being changed. It was a brownish color and very murky. The magnet was also full of small metal particles.