1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius repeated wheel bearing failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ligma, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Ligma

Ligma New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone else experience repeated wheel bearing failure almost imediatley? I just bought my prius used and knew it needed wheel bearings. Replaced those and the replacements failed imediatley. Repeat that 2 more times and thats where i am now. I kept thinking it was cheap parts but its happened enough for me to think its something else. Before the replacement bearings would separate causing my bearing to pull out around corners making my rotor hit my caliper bracket making grinding noise, but no hum. Now i have only one wheel grinding lightly around corners and loud hum in both. Ive done bearings multiple times in the past on other cars and no problems. Im wondering if there is anything i am missing or anything else could cause this or is it bad parts again?

2. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using OEM or aftermarket bearings? Aftermarket parts from China won't last.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    could be an install or parts problem. i don't recall reading that this is a common issue

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This sounds like an assembly issue. There's no way properly installed bearing hub should separate to the point the wheel is moving outward.

Are you trying to replace just the bearing or are you doing the entire hub? If you're just swapping bearings, quit. You've got a serious installation problem, or the wrong bearings. Buy hub assemblies.