1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Roof Rack System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priuscamper98, Mar 20, 2019.

1. priuscamper98

priuscamper98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody know a temporary roof rack system that I can put together for a 2007 Prius?
    I've been considering a 1345 kit for a 480 traverse foot pack.
    I would like to be able to install and take it off casually. A Thule cargo box will be mounted on.
    Any suggestions/comments/pictures will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will destroy your gas mileage. I tried putting a yakama rack on my gen2 a couple of years ago. Mileage tanked to around 20 mpg. You would protbe better of to put a trailer hitch on and get a box to tow. Something that will draft rather than act like a parachute. I wouldn’t tow anything other than a small storage box.

3. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    yakimaprius3 small.jpg I use a Yakima rack set with mounts that clip to the top of the doors. They can be put on and taken off easily with a key. And we have a fairing mounted on the front to bump the window over top. The fairing is really important - it helps the aerodynamics and reduces substantially wind noise from the rack. And then we use bike holders and the Yakima Rocket box. That's the largest box they make, about 8 feet long. We've been using this setup regularly on our 2007 gen 2 for almost 12 years, without any problems.

priuscamper98 and Lord Byron like this.
  4. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried that with the fairing and it ate up my mpg.. you may have different luck though.

I was considering trying a hitch for a small cargo box for light storage, but never did it. My thinking is that the box would draft and not have aerodynamic problems.

priuscamper98 likes this.
  5. priuscamper98

priuscamper98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's my biggest concern, I don't know how my prius will take it. From what I've heard, some people's mpg's suffer more than others. 20 mpg though?! that's heartbreaking... :eek:

6. priuscamper98

priuscamper98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does your mpg typically look like when using the rack set?

Looks great btw