1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Smart Key Programming?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by adamorzol, May 4, 2007.

1. ace502

ace502 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just purchased a used remote on ebay ( smart key silver logo). It is in perfect working order as the dealer checked it and as it is from another prius they could not reprogram it to work on mine. I took it to two different dealers, nether could program it. Can anybody add any other solutions other then purchasing a brand new unit. I might add the remote is the correct part number for the car. I don't understand why the dealer just cannot erase the old info off it.

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fob does not get reprogrammed; the car does.

Try this: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

If your car already has 4 (?) fobs programmed into it, you may need the dealer to clear them.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can't erase a key fob. Furthermore, the car is programmed, not the fob. Once a fob has been activated a few times with another car, your Prius will refuse to associate with it.

If you want to pair a used fob with a Prius you have to do a seed reset. Your dealer attaches the proper programmer to the car, calls Toyota for a new seed code, resets the seed, and then adds *all* of the fobs to the now reset system. Not all dealers are willing to do this.

Tom

4. TRStahl

TRStahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One SKS quit working, but the other was ok. Just messing around, I let myself in with the working one, removed it from the car and tried to start it with the bad one. No luck. I then put the bad one in the dash slot and pushed Start. Success! It started. I then removed it from the slot and pushed Start. Again the car started and the proximity door locks and the push buttons both work. This a silver logo fob. Try it, it might work for you too. Mine is a 2007 Touring. Good luck

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2007 is old enough for the battery in the keyfob to be bad. It will still work plugged into the dash, but I'd recommend replacing the battery for the other functions. As I recall, it's a CR2032.

6. forgeagain

forgeagain New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so here's a new one for you guys. Any help is appreciated!

*2007 Prius with SKS feature
    *Lost 1 of the 2 original keys that came with the car new a few years ago
    *Bought an ebay replacement that was programmed to start the car only (a backup)
    *Accidentally ran the other original key through the washing machine (in pants pocket)
    *Dried the key out overnight, worked all SKS features the next day or so without any major issues - a little erratic and then stopped working - replaced the battery, didn't help - the key will still start the car when plugged in - no issue there even after the wash
    *Brought car to dealer, paid way too much money for a brand new key ($220) and programming ($80) - but they couldn't manage to program the door locks/remote feature - just the starter - and didn't mention this to us until after it was paid for
    *They claimed we had to bring it back for them to re-seed, etc. and that it'd be $200 to do that - which is fine, we're willing to pay it if that's absolutely what it takes
    *They spent pretty much 2 full days trying to figure it out - said they can't.
    *I sent them links to this forum, to the instructions/manual linked on it, etc.
    *Now they're claiming they've tried that and that the ECU is broken (coincidentally, right after the key went through the wash?) and the ONLY way to use the smart key feature ever again on this car, even with a brand new dealer key, is to replace the computer for $1800.

Now, I'm taking it to another dealer, because I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the car's ECU just happened to stop working when the one original working key we had fizzled out and that even a brand new key won't work with it. Does this sound too impossible to be true? Has anyone heard of the ECU just dying for no reason like that? Is this dealer just clueless?

7. sclark

sclark Junior Member

I have 2007 prius with 2 smart keys. Both worked fine until I tried to use the spare this week, when I discovered it was dead. It starts car if plugged in, but battery was so dead it measured 0.15 volts. I installed working, correct new battery and now no remote functions work, including panic button and pushbutton unlock. It clearly sat unused for over a year. Is there a process to reset this? Pair it with the car again?
    This is not as if I bought a key online. I have good experience with hacks, etc. I learned here.
    Thanks

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By "It" you mean the fob, not the car?

What is the state of the "Key" button under the steering wheel? Should be out, not in.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My take on this is that there still isn't any power getting to the fob. Maybe the new battery is bad, inserted backwards, or the connections are corroded. Does the red led flash when you press a button?

koolingit likes this.
  10. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok! I have read ALL of this thread, from end to end. I'm willing to except that in my situation, "rebuildable wreck, 2006 Gen2" no FOB or Keys at all. Dealer willing and able to re-program the ECU to a new Virgin FOB, even if I purchase it online (ebay) for $150 and willing to pay the $87 dealer fee.

I still have another question and will poss it here and with the dealer. I have to replace both left doors. The door latch outside handle are damage and driver door key slot may or may not be salvageable. If required, I could salvage the door transponder. My question: Will the dealer need to add the new SMS fob to the ECU or reseed the ECU and what way should I go in the door mechanical lock cylinders. I know the Gen2 keys are cut like a standard key and I could end up with two different door key cylinders (right and left).

And thanks to all contributors to this Informative Thread!

Steve (75 & still learning!)

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only key cylinder on a Prius is in the driver's door. The passenger door does not have one. A replacement key cylinder comes with two matching mechanical keys.

The SKS decoding is done in the "Smart Key ECU" in the dash - the electronics in the door doesn't know anything about the specific key being used. A used door from any smart key (silver logo) equipped Prius should work without any concern about the smart key encoding.

Several people have reported success in programming a virgin fob themselves. A reseed is only required for a used fob.

12. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, maybe then I should go back to the fellow I got the driver door from and ask him for the key out of his Fob. He's not going to need it any more.
    Now my question, is there a proximity transponder in the doors. As walk by my other Gen2 Prius with the Smart Key in my pocket, I get a response from the vehicle when I'm within a couple feet of the drivers door. I know there is a Smart Key reciever in the rear near the Traction battery left side. And there is some kind of transponder under the rear bumper. Do either of these need to be changed out or as you state, the Smart Key ECU is the source of all "Smarts". Now if that is the case, as I suggested earlier, just change out the SKS ECU from another car that has a matching SKS Fob. Some have suggested that there are other system components that need to be changed out as well. I know the location of the SKS ECU, not and easy replacement but do-able in my opinion.

Steve

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Definitely get the key that fits the cylinder in the door you got. I'd also get the fob, as it can be used as an emergency key to plug in the dash. Full smart function will require a seed reset.

I haven't seen inside a door, but the proximity unit is functionally the same as the one near the battery. I think there are 5 units - 2 front doors, console, inside trunk, and outside trunk.

As for replacing the smart ecu, I think there is some sort of Techstream command that is used to introduce the smart ecu to the other ecus. So while you may not need a seed reset with a different smart ecu, you may still need the dealer to run Techstream in order to install the different ecu. You might get a two day subscription to TIS and see what the procedure is to replace the smart ecu.

14. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for this info Rob

I'm not sure he would give up the Fob since he stll needs it for the moving the car around until it is being completely parted out.

If there is a proximity sensor in the door, I can get the one out of the old damaged door. However, I have to ask if there is a "relationship" between the key and the Fob?? Am I creating a problem by using the "cut" key that matches the new door with a virgin Fob. So does the key/Fob have to match?? I think I will try this with my other Gen2 and two other key/Fobs I have from junk yard Prius'.

Steve

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Steve the key is purely a mechanical item it does not have to match the fob, obviously it has to match the lock barrel in the door.

16. Sajjad Siddique

Sajjad Siddique Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently bought a used prius 2007 and car dealer gave me just 1 key of it with no duplicate key. Here the local Toyota authorised dealer do not deals in their hybrid cars. Pls suggest any suitable remedy before I faces any unforeseen emergency.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you only have one key fob, in your situation it is very important that you get another as quickly as possible, because you will have no means of starting your car and no means of programming the car to accept another fey fob if you loose the fob you have.

Does your car have the smart key entry system or do you have to unlock the car with the button on the fob the put the fob in the slot in the dash to start the car.

From where was the car imported.

18. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to update my SKS quest: I got the door key for the replacement door after insisting the seller had no need for it anyway and my door is the only lock it is going to fit. Yah! Won that one!
    I have done a couple more searches of the car for the Fob without any luck. After charging the Aux battery and installing it, I hooked it up and got nothing even close to the reponse I got when I earlier hooked up jumper cables to the under-hood terminal. The only display light I get is the door ajar, since one of the doors is damaged and won't close completely, plus I had the hatch open while hooking up the battery. If the Fob is in the car, someplace, it may have a dead battery since it would have been there for over a year with the SKS active since the Aux battery was run down completely flat. Had to charge it with another good battery to get fake out the Smart Charger. Load tests fine now.
    If I don't find the Fob, and that looks like a possibility now, I'm considering replacing the required components/modules since I know where there are two donor cars with SKS Fobs and systems. I'm going to have to pay the going rate for what I get but still might be cheaper than the dealers price of about $200.

So that bring me to two basic questions:

1) How do I tell which system my car has now. Does it use the Black emblem Fob or does it use the Silver emblem Fob?

2) Which components need to be transplanted from one of these donor cars to make this system fully funtional to OEM status.

I recently looked at an ebay add that included a SKS system. I intially counted 8 components but just went back and zoomed in on what was being offered, in addition to the mechanical key/cylinder for the driver door, the Immobilizer Module, the Fob dash socket, Network Gateway module??, MPX PSC??, then there is the HV ECU and the Engine ECU. Not sure that the latter replacement are required to be replaced. (these are terms that I have gleaned from the photos in the add and I'm not even sure which one is the Fob dash socket)

A little direction would be appreciated.

Steve

19. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    An SKS car has the black buttons on the outside door handles (front only), plus another on the trunk. SKS keyfobs have the silver emblem.

I'm not sure which ECUs you would have to replace. Certainly the immobilizer one. And not the keyslot (any eBay offering including an immobilizer + keyslot is just wrong). Maybe the Body ECU, but I'm not sure.

If you can get a new keyfob + programming from a dealer at $200, take it. A really good price for a new keyfob is $150, plus at least an hour labor to do a seed reset on a car with no keys. Both the immobilizer (key in dash) and the smart system have to be reset.

You could save at least 1/2 by giving up SKS function. Any used key (black or silver logo) has a transponder in it that can be programmed to work in the keyslot. So you would use the mechanical key in the door, and plug the fob into the dash. The remote buttons and proximity key detect for the Power button wouldn't work. So a used fob for $50, plus a half hour dealer time to reset just the immobilizer.

Check for a switch labels "Key" low on the dash, near the steering column. It could be turned OFF, disabling SKS.

Note that the 2010+ uses a different SKS system. In particular, it doesn't have the transponder/immobilizer system.

20. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know the deal price I got is pretty fair but due to the damage to the car, I'm not going to be able to get it to their shop for a couple months. In the mean time, I have to push it around with one axle removed. Can't even confirm that the engine and drive train are in good working order. Right now I have the left portion of the dash removed to access/repair the "A" pillar, so half of these components are easily accessable now.

In my Bentley manual, elect. section. The show seperate detail and diagrams of the 2004 and 2007 cars. Am I to understand that the 2004 would cover model years 04, 05 & 06?? While the 2007 would be 07 thru o9?? The car I'm working on is a 2006 according to the registration. Not sure of the exact year of the donor cars I have in mind. I should verify that.
    BTW. The project car has the black buttons on the drivers door and liftgate.

I'm looking at the component locations in the 2004 Prius electrical manual and see "Smart Key ECU"(left upper dash), "Body ECU"(left side under dash), "Transponder Key Computer", (under dash right of MFD) and "Gateway ECU??"(up high behind the upper glove box).
    I'm wondering the function of some of these and which ones actually need to be replaced along with the Fob from another car.

Steve