1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius: To Fix or Not to Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Road Tunes, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Road Tunes

Road Tunes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi! I’m a newbie with a 2007 Gen 2, bought for $1K from a family member 2 years ago. It was great shape with maintenance all done like clockwork. Everything was wonderful…until it wasn’t.

I have now read things I wish I knew from the start, alas. I’ve had a nightmare of a summer of repairs, and I’m at a crossroads. I’m on a low (no?) budget, to be real.

As a newbie, I’d like to spell out the issues and get advice. Is there a preferred format, or just do my best to sum things up with mileage, problems & repairs to date?

It’s a bit daunting to dive in here with years of posts. I’ve tried searching for answers, but there’s just so much already shared.

Thank you!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once you replace the failed parts with NEW PARTS, that car will be really reliable.

What you will have problems with is if you go with a low budget repair and use old parts, that will cost you headaches and more money in the long run

3. Road Tunes

Road Tunes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Truth! Already took that wise advice! I will type up a history soon.

4. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll get a lot of different opinions to almost anything you post here. If you really are on a no/low budget and are willing to have the car limp along without spending much money, at the risk that at some inconvenient time it will just die, or fail to pass some inspection, then I might be able to suggest some ideas to keep it limping along. But, in my experience, you can throw a lot of money and parts and repairs at it, but ultimately you will still have a car which is highly complex and requires constant maintenance. It's one thing if you can do that yourself, or have a mechanic friend who works for "free", but it's a whole different deal if you have to pay to get everything fixed.
    In my cynical opinion, from owning 4 Priuses, any Prius with over 100,000 miles or over 10 years old is passed it's economically useful life. If you own one of these cars and need reliable transport, you need to have multiple cars so you can fix one while you drive another. Others will no doubt disagree, and that's more than fine. Good luck. Just go ahead and post whatever you know about your car. Some really smart, experienced, kind, generous and helpful people are on here (I exclude myself) and the level of expertise you can get to help you is truly astounding!

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I disagree. I've owned well over 10 of these, from NEW to over 300k miles. Even the ones that required an engine replace or a transaxle replacement, those cars were economically useful.