1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius traction battery failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Patrick Wong, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My daughter lives 500 miles away. Her 2007 has 143K miles and the traction battery failed.

If we weren't facing the current worldwide virus concerns, I would have jumped upon this as a great DIY project. However, after considering the need to make two 1,000 mile roundtrips to southern CA, a further need to make a couple of 250 mile round-trips to Phoenix to pick up a replacement battery and return the core, etc., I told her to visit her local Toyota dealer and be ready to pay a premium price.

She was not disappointed with regards to expecting a premium price and was quoted $3,200 by Marina del Rey Toyota. The dealer rate is $165/hour and 7 hours of labor were included in the price.

I encouraged her to negotiate the price considering the current battery list price and the expectation that labor should be for 4 hours.

She ended up getting a 10% discount. Hence the discounted price was $1,790 for the battery, $18 for the battery vent fan filter, and 6.3 hours of labor. Including sales tax, the out the door price was $3,021.

I'm posting so that other southern CA Prius owners have another data point regarding current local dealer pricing practices.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    terrible. a member in new york was just offered a new pack out of the blue, by his local dealer. $2,250. installed.
    he's trying to decide if it's worth it on his '05 he hopes to keep another 4 years. nothing currently wrong with the original battery.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup! We just decided to it, Monday, for $2145. They're giving me a loaner, too! FYI: Work is being done at our closest dealer that abuts the north side of Chicago, not New York.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You’ll have to update your thread and let us know if you have any mpg improvement with the new battery :)

Data Daedalus and kenoarto like this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad its been taken care of especially at these times.. You made the right decision.
    Speaking of.. me too! Remember when I first bought my prius and I was asking you all kinds of stuffs for I know nothing about hybrids and finally got all my 100k miles service complete. Now it all worked out. Its been close to 40k miles now. I think I got my money back plus its a great vehicle.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for sharing.

Phoenix, for a battery? It’s a long drive to Marina Del Rey but I would think you could get a battery without a trip to Phoenix....

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are two Toyota dealers in Tucson but I probably would have to find a Phoenix Toyota dealer to get a discount from MSRP.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Data Daedalus and Patrick Wong like this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I see seems already repaired... Hope car is running well again!

Patrick Wong likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for researching that. I am supposed to be working from home during the work week and my daughter’s apartment is small so it might be difficult to get everything done with only one round trip.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Apartments and car work can definitely be another can of worms so to speak. But I hope the parts.toyota.com site can help others as well.

(Stay safe! To you, and everyone else here).

moto g(7) power ?

12. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apartments and car work. Know it well.

Too bad there is the corona virus. I SERIOUSLY would have offered to go to Southern California and help out!

I have lots of relatives that could have offered a hand, also.

Least I could do for Mr. Wong.
    kris

13. Queueball

Queueball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I offer another point of reference for replacement of the traction battery in a Gen2. I paid $2347 installed before sales tax for a Toyota battery with a 3 year warranty. Another dealership in SE Michigan gave me an estimate of $3400 so it is worthwhile to shop around. During the corona virus quarantine some dealership service departments here were closed while others remained open for appointments only so some shops were hungrier for business than others.

My original battery failed after 14 years and 175K miles. I am quite content with that service life especially given the weather conditions in the Midwest.

While deciding the fate of my 2005 I came across an orphan 2019 Limited brand new still on the dealer lot. For $29.5K (before tax and registration) we became a Prii family. That helps to make up for the sting I still feel for having had to pay full sticker price in 2005. I continue exploring all the features in the new car but I am enamored with the adaptive cruise control.

14. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Patrick.
    I have a question on my 07. So far everything works fine but I notice when I'm on a long wait drive thru like lets say 35 minutes and up, my dash goes all the way down to the last purple bar. I try to turn off all consuming gadgets even my lights but still goes there. Then the car starts by itself then charge to 3 blue bars, shuts off again and do the same. I could be there in the drive thru even close to 2 hours but I dare not to turn off my engine. Is this normal or is the hybrid battery getting old. But when normal driving even with headlights on and accessories, the bar is almost all the way full.
    Anyways do I worry about this?
    By the way, I installed a brand new 12 volt battery last few weeks ago from Toyota.

image0.jpeg

15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In general the process that you describe is "normal", but I cannot say if the amount of time it takes to discharge the HV battery is bad or not.
    You might want to get the paid version of the Dr Prius app and a compatible OBD2 adapter in order to run a capacity test (listed as a "life expectancy" test) on the HV battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whatever you do make sure you DO NOT shift to N while waiting in lines. This tends to disable the engine from starting and charging the HV battery in hybrid vehicles.

moto g(7) power ?

Paul Schenck and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an obd scanner (I know how to use)
    and

Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream V13.00.22 (this one I haven't tried it yet)
    will this do the diagnosis per cell?

Okay.. I had it on park???

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As mentioned previously, the cycle you describe is normal operation for a Gen 2. The car functions will operate using the HV battery as the power source until the battery SOC gets down to around 40-42%, (typically somewhere in the 2 purple bar range.) then the engine turns on and performs a minor recharge into the 3 blue bar range. Once you start driving again, the battery will charge back into it's normal ~60% SOC range.

The car will not charge the battery while in neutral, by design. Good or bad design? I don't know. This is one reason to not take your car to an automatic car wash that requires you to put the car in neutral, especially during the summer when running the AC. It will possibly drain the HV battery and code out. If idling or waiting in line and you must have the car on, just leave it in drive or park and the car will take care of itself.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Park is good. Engineers are safety freaks. In N and something goes awry guess what, engine start may make the car move.

To tell the truth I experienced the dying EV battery in a Ford C-MAX Energi waiting for my son in the car line at his school. Decided to have the bright idea to shift to N. Nevermore, learned my lesson...

Don't have Gen 2 experience so glad @TMR-JWAP chimed in that purple is normal....

moto g(7) power ?

20. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know much about the hybrids. @Patrick Wong was the one that was helping me out when I started with the car and maintaining it... Oh its been 2 years+ now and after 50,000 miles so that's a good sign. This car gave me 2 years of flawless riding back and forth to work which was very important I guess to anybody.
    Other than this light, nothing else... for now.
    PS.. this might be a wrong thread but just a quickie. I have 150k miles on my 2007, I'm using 5w-30 oil. At 4,500 miles I add 1/8 of a quart. Do you guys think its time for me to switch heavier oil or leave it. My gas mileage is around 43 to 45mpg.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.