1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - trickle charging 12v battery overnight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tampaite, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know and it's hard to go back and explain or even make an argument. Perhaps, its a costly lesson to avoid this dealership.

I have never had my clock reset when I've been to oil changes before.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our car often sits idle for a day or two, and what I've come around to is hooking up a smart charger, just leaving it connected. It's occurred to me that doing that might be a plus, for a service department, especially for protracted service, doubly so when the doors are often open.

It seems odd that negative cable disconnect is needed to load test. Again, again: research Solar BA5.

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With all respect....

LOTS of fires caused by trickle chargers, even smart ones, because most have ZERO circuit protection built into the 12v side. I would NEVER leave a battery charging unattended (overnight, in an attached garage, etc), too much risk.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My CTEK's have inline fuses. And, I'm not going to sit watching it for 6~8 hours, lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What else you got going on :whistle:?

jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rub it in... :cautious:

jerrymildred, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so received the battery from Amazon on Saturday but still haven't hooked it up.

• Friday PM - drive home and park car in garage.
    • Friday PM to Sat Noon - car was left alone(wasn't hooked up to any trickle charger) - tried to start few times, it did everytime - starting voltage 12.1v to 12.5v and when engine starts, it dips to 11.6v to 11.8v and goes back upto 14.1v. The test was for about 1-2 minutes(in total).
    • Sat Noon into Sun AM - car was left alone(wasn't hooked up to any trickle charger) - tried to start once and engine started without any issues. 12.1v at start-up, dips to 11.8v at engine kick-off and then stable at 14.1v while engine is running.

I had hoped that the internal clock would drain the battery sufficiently so it doesn't start - apparently, I was wrong.

I will keep the newly ordered battery in the car trunk and test the vehicle out for few more days. If at all, during any of the test, had the battery dipped below 11v, would have it replaced but now will monitor and continue my research.

8. Radu Stauceanu

Radu Stauceanu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bosch S4 45Ah 12V 0092S40220 - it's about 60$ in Europe.

SFO likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a measure of your charging system and doesn't give any info about the battery. Well, it kind of does. If it's reading 14.1V and your battery is low when the car isn't running, you know you've either run down the battery or it's not holding or accepting a charge. If it reads below 14V when the car is running, then there's a problem in the charging system. If your battery is 12.1V after sitting overnight, given its history, I'd change it before it strands you. You already spent the money. Easier to change it at home than in a dark parking lot.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I drove probably 400 miles between Plock malfunction errors on a 5 year old OEM 12v battery. Multiple starts including multiple short trips and multiple 100 mile trips between error messages. Didn't realize it meant the battery couldn't release the parking pawl. Cost me more in tow charges than a new battery did. Since replaced.

No idea why a more informative error message isn't available nor why Toyota service had no "just jump it and get the battery replaced" suggestion. All they wanted to do is call a tow truck to tow me to a dealer who was closed for the next 40 hours.

Since replacing the 12v no recurrences.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it works, it is a flooded lead acid (FLA) battery. It typically has a lower operating voltage and is at more risk of running flat quicker when compared to the absorbent glass mat (AGM) battery that for which the Prius is spec'ed. I have a one of each in my Prii, so can offer some insight in comparing AGM to FLA.
    This is not true. All you can infer from this is that the charging circuit has detected the 12 V battery is flat (or low in charge) and the charging circuit is in charging mode.
    While that will solve your problem, 12.1 V after sitting overnight just means the 12 V battery is flat (discharged). While it will provide service well into the 11 V range, you need to get that 12 V battery on an external charger and ensure it operates most of its time at the 12.9 V end, more often than not, to ensure you get maximum life out of your Pb/A (lead/acid) battery.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: After 7 days of driving(daily commute to work) and with over 500+ miles, including multiple stops and starts, the original 12v battery has held up well and I didn't have to use the battery that I ordered from Amazon. Am not returning it yet, will keep it as a back-up.

Based on this:
    1. The load test at AutoZone, Sears etc is unreliable ? clearly, they put a load that decreased the voltage down to 8.5v and recommmended that I purchase a new battery. Good that I didn't bite.

2. The only realiable way I have found(correct me if am wrong) is that when you put a small load using the headlights(turn them on/off 3x) and if battery dips below 11v - then, the battery is almost done with it's life and it's time for replacment.

3. Trickle charge your 12v battery atleast ONCE a year for couple of hours, it might breathe new life into it.

Only time will tell me if am incorrect.

#32 tampaite, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are driving around on a marginal 12V battery. It's going to give up the ghost at any moment without warning. Trickle charging it may breathe some life into it, but it's not going to cure it. If you relish the possibility of having to change the 12V battery with your new shiny (already paid for) one in the unpredictable circumstances, then by all means continue doing what you are doing. If it were me, I would install the new battery as soon as I received it.

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh heck, once more: for a reliable DIY electronic tester: Solar BA5.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) Load testing is most meaningful for cars that have a starter, that cranks the engine. The Prius 12V battery just power the various ECUs. The HV Battery cranks the engine.

To give you perspective, you can start a Prius w/ the small 12V SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries found in home alarm components and UPS (Uninterruptibpe Power Supplies) for home computers. This type of battery will not be able to start a conventional car with a starter.

2) Read Post #5&8 to become a little bit more enlightened.
    Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat

3) Trickle charge as needed, ideally w/ a smart AGM compatible 12V charger. If you driver regularly and never have a discharge event, like you did, you will never need to trickle charge. Some do like to trickle charge occassionally as "maintenance," as you recommend.

A discharge event leads to a shortened battery life. Your current battery will not live as long as it otherwise would have.

16. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This *may* be just the clue you were seeking.....

Presuming the lube place did load test the battery, one of two things was likely the case:
    - They used a standard load testing tool designed for high capacity STARTING batteries, which would just about ensure it failed
    - The 12v battery is in fact weak and load testing it (even correctly) caused it to fail the test

In either case, it is very likely that the open circuit voltage was depressed to the point that it reset the clock and computers and would take the DC-DC converter a L O N G time to completely recharge it. Remember, the battery is only there to wake up the modules and the DC-DC is there to provide them with power and MAINTAIN the 12v, not to actually charge it - since it should never really be "discharged".

j12piprius and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 to exstudent and 05PreeUs, these two posts have excellent information/advice.
    It is not necessary to switch the headlights on and off 3 times. You maybe getting confused with how to access the vehicle check screen, in which one of the methods it to switch the PARK LIGHTS on/off 3 times while holding a button on the MFD. Just switch the headlight on and leave them on.

More importantly than the actual voltage, is what the voltage is at when the voltage stabilises (relative to the starting voltage) and for how long can the battery sustain that voltage under the load of your headlights being on. Anything under 10.5 V for anything less than 2-3 minutes is going to give you problems with the electronics.
    You will need more like 24 to 36 hours of trickle charging to charge a flat 12 V battery. Further, the frequency should be more frequent than once a year, but entirely depends upon how long at a time your car sits unused. If it was sitting for more that a week or two without being used, then on with the trickle charger. Furthermore, the charger (and I'd recommend a proper 4 Amp charger in this case) should immediately be used anytime the battery is significantly or fully discharged.

Hope that helps.

#37 dolj, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  18. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …whenever I leave the car in the garage I plug it into in the maintenance charger (via a quick-disconnect) so the 12V AuxBattery gets topped up. The car has sat in garage since last Saturday night, and with the colder weather coming, I'm sure it will spend even more days in the dry and warmth of the garage.

dolj likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another trick, especially if the car is out in the elements, electricity out-of-reach, and/or going to be out of commission for some time, is to fully charge and then disconnect the negative lead. It's the dang background drains that slowly pull it down.

dolj likes this.
  20. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    11/20 Update: Battery has ZERO issues since the trickle charge and going strong. However, out of abundant caution, i replaced it with the one ordered from amazon today

jerrymildred, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.