1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius will not go into ready mode. Only door ajar light on dash.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jcampprius, Dec 13, 2019.

1. jcampprius

jcampprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hello, this is the first time I ever joined a forum. Excuse me if I am not posting correctly. I have a 2007 Prius with smart key. When I push the start button nothing happens. I have installed a new battery and have a battery tender on the Hybrid battery.when I have my key with me the only light that will come on the dash is the door ajar light. If I leave my key in the house the door ajar light and the no key lights will come on. When I press the brake pedal I hear the motor noise from the engine compartment, but when I push the start button nothing at all happens. I pulled codes B2287 and B2289 with my Autel Maxidas scanner. This is using the auto scan feature of this scanner. If I try to connect to the main ECU it reads communication error. probably because I am not in key on mode? I read I should check continuity between the power source ECU and the key transponder ECU. I cannot locate the Key transponder ECU. I have the dash torn down and a picture of where this ECU should be, but it's not there! I bought a power source ECU on line. When I plug it in I lose the door ajar and no key lights on the dash. I am guessing it has to be programmed. I have checked all fuses and I have power at the AM1 and AM2 fuses, but not at IGN fuse.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy moly what are you into lol....

First of all the obd code reader your using does not have Toyota Techstream software so you will never harvest the correct codes.
    The codes you posted are irrelevant.

What battery tender do you have on the hybrid battery? if you have se4rviced the hybrid battery most people mess up the insertion of the orange safety plug. You push it in flip up the handle THEN push that handle straight down till it locks.

Give us a chance here and please post some background with this car just bought it etc why are you thinking there's a key transponder issue?

In the meantime use the search forums blue tab up top and search

techstream

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This initially had all the indications of a blown AM2 fuse, until I read about ripping the dash apart and an ecu missing?

We definitely need more history for this one...….have you just recently bought it? Have you ever seen it functional?

Please post the model of the HV battery tender, I'd love to get one too. :) Just messin around, but if you really do have one, post it. Seriously. A hundred members would buy it.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They actually don't seem to be.

DTC Detection Item Trouble Area
    1 B2287 LIN Communication Master Malfunction
    • Power source control ECU
    • Transponder key ECU
    • Wire harness
    2 B2289 Key Collation Waiting Time Over
    • Power source control ECU
    • Engine immobiliser system
    • Wire harness

There is one workup that covers both codes:

DTC | B2287 | Lin Communication Master Malfunction
    DTC | B2289 | Key Collation Waiting Time Over

Hope that helps.

SFO likes this.
  5. jcampprius

jcampprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You are absolutely correct . I know I am lacking the correct scanner. I am a back yard mechanic mostly working on domestic cars. I was given this prius by a friend. It has 200,000 miles on it. The story is he drove it into his garage it sat for 3 weeks and then it was in this state. The battery tender is a Prolong. The orange plug is definitely in correct with the Handle slid down.
    Thanks for the responses.

6. jcampprius

jcampprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    That write up link is what led me to tear into the dash. When I could not locate the key transponder ECU. I took a stab and purchased a not to expensive power source ECU. I am not one to throw money at a problem, but I felt I was at a dead end.

7. jcampprius

jcampprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    This was moved to another forum.
    How do I find it?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must have found it considering you just posted in it! :whistle: ;) :)

From the home page scroll down to "GEN 2 (2004-2009) TOYOTA PRIUS FORUMS"

Then click on the "Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting" forum. I just replied, so it should be near the top of the second section ("NORMAL THREADS") which is under the "STICKY THREADS" section.

9. jcampprius

jcampprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks, I thought I was missing suggestions, but no such luck.

10. Hkang

Hkang New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi.
    I have 2005 Prius with same problem you had.
    Can you give me some tips for fixing the problem.
    Thank you.

#10 Hkang, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
  11. Miketheheadski

Miketheheadski New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello guys. Did you ever solve this problem? I am having the same issue. After the Auxiliary 12V battery went dead, the car will not go into ready mode. The only light on the dash that is lighting up is the door ajar light. When we press the Power button, nothing works happens. What did you find out?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dead 12 volt, how can you have a battery tender on the hybrid battery?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This was posted a few years back, but to be more specific:

The usual issue with third-party scan tools is that they might not show all of the trouble codes the car has. A Prius has a lot of ECUs in it, some that generic scan tools wouldn't even know are there, much less think of asking for codes.

So if you have a generic scan tool, and it doesn't show you any codes, there could still be codes. Or if you have one and it shows you some codes, there could still be more codes.

We have a thread about tools that are better about getting all the codes from a Prius:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

By the same token, if you have a generic tool and it shows you some codes, you may as well post those here. They might not be all of the codes, but they will still probably be real codes. The work a scan tool needs to do to decode and display a trouble code is simple; a tool can show you codes correctly even if it has no idea what they mean.

It's not very common for a scan tool to just display bogus codes. Never say never, though: at one time there was a bug in the Dr. Prius app where it might display a B2799 code as "CA799", for example. (It got fixed in a later version.)

But bugs like that aren't super common. (And you can sometimes catch bogus codes like that by just remembering the second character in a real one can only be 0, 1, 2, or 3.) Someone who understood the bug in Dr. Prius could even look at a code like "CA799" and figure out it was really B2799.