1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius wont go into inspection mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chevy305caprice, Aug 11, 2012.

1. chevy305caprice

chevy305caprice New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius base that won't go into inspection mode. I changed the engine coolant after swapping out the water pump. I followed the steps from here and also a youtube video. When I do the last step the screen says problem and it doesn't start the motor but it acts like it is in ready mode and the MFD has a small red car in the top left corner with an exclamation point. No other warning lights are present.

What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with the car? The car also seems to surge/pulse at a stop when the engine is running when it is cold. It doesn't seem to surge/pulse 15 minutes into driving. I don't know if these two things are related?

Thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't worked on this problem before... But what if you disconnected the 12v battery for 15 minutes and then reconnected (aka: computer reboot) and see if that works... Also check for error codes via MFD as well as plug a code reader into the OBDII port... Hope that helps...

3. chevy305caprice

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will give that a try.

Thanks

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not an inspection mode issue that's just an engine Issue. You need to get the code its throwing read asap. Auto store may do it for free. Hopefully it will read. Some codes are Toyota specific like Hybrid codes. Those must be read by Toyota software found at the dealer. If you get codes read post them back here.

Did you change the water pump chasing this engine code or because it was leaking?
    First thing that comes to mind is you did not bleed the coolant loop properly and its air locked & overheating the engine but you did not specify time interval on code. Be careful don't overheat this engine you'll damage the aluminum cyl head....Big $$$$$$:eek:

Bleeding the coolant loop on this car is not easy and you really have to know what your doing to do it properly. Air lock is usually quickly evidenced by water gurgling sounds under the dash with heater on low.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. This is my procedure to invoke inspection mode: Make the car IG-ON (not READY) where the instrument panel warning lights come on. Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice while in Park. Then shift to Neutral and fully depress the accelerator pedal twice. Then shift to Park and fully depress the accelerator pedal twice. Then depress the brake pedal and start the car by pressing the POWER button. The hybrid vehicle warning light will come on and the engine will run continuously.

2. See post #88 in this thread where another member could not make his Prius go into inspection mode. I am not sure why this happened: Changing engine coolant | Page 5 | PriusChat

3. Also see my post #42 in that thread where I noted that my 2004 sometimes would not respond to accelerator pedal input while in inspection mode.

As a workaround if you cannot invoke inspection mode, you might turn on your AC system and make the temperature MAX COLD. Since the AC compressor is forced to run, that may encourage the gasoline engine to also run so that the traction battery will be charged.

6. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesnt sound to me as if you're pressing the power the final time with your foot on the brake, I think its going in inspection mode but youre not going all the way to ready.

7. chevy305caprice

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replys. I got the engine to run consistently with a work around like you outlined Patrick. Nothing has overheated yet so I guess I got the air bubbles out and the heat is really hot with no gurgling. I took it out on the highway for over 30 minutes with no overheating and no warning lights.

My wife and I just bought the car with 113,000 miles. I saw all the previous service records and I am doing the preventative maintenance that has not been done. (plugs, transaxle fluid, throttle body cleaning, serpentine belt, water pump (old one was leaking), inverter coolant and engine coolant)

Any preventative maintence that I should be doing that I missed?

Love tinkering on the Prius! My neighbors think I bought a piece of junk (everday I am doing something different) but I just love puttering around with it.

This car replaces a 2002 Ford F-250 diesel 4x4. Love the 40+ mpg vs the 13 mpg we were getting with the truck.

Thanks again for the help!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The preventative maintenance that you performed is a great start. Don't forget the PCV valve which is mounted on the valve cover close to the inverter. You will have to remove the relay box above the engine and the engine wiring harness bolted to the valve cover, for access.

I suggest you check the front struts/rear shocks and replace if needed. I've posted on how to do both. I also suggest you have your car's VIN checked by your local Toyota dealer to see if all recall work has been performed.

What about the cold start engine surging that you mentioned in your OP? Is that still an issue now that you have cleaned the throttle body?

If it is, you might look for a vacuum leak. For example, maybe the throttle body is slightly loose where it is bolted to the intake manifold so there is a little leak when the engine is cold. When the engine warms up, the parts expand and the leak goes away.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. chevy305caprice

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,

Thanks for the tips and I will look into the PCV valve. I will have the VIN checked by the local Toyota dealership about the recalls as well.

The surging issue could be something wrong with the transaxle. It doesn't act up in electric. I mostly notice it when the motor is running at a light or stop sign and it acts like it is pushing against the brakes. If the motor is off and goes only on electric no problems...smooth as glass. I retorqued the bolts for the throttle body on the intake when I cleaned it and the pulsing was still there.

Love the car and even with this issue, still glad we made the purchase.

Thanks again!

10. chevy305caprice

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fluid that came out of the transaxle was dark but not burnt smelling and nothing but very fine shavings on the drain plug. I replaced with the Toyota fluid from the dealer. The drain and fill procedure was steps I followed from the well documented steps found on here.

This site is great for myself who likes DIY and saving money from not taking it to the dealer!

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. chevy305caprice

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Talked to the dealer today and they said that the car does not have any recalls outstanding. I also mentioned the transaxle thing and they said not to worry about it. I guess they only want to see the car when it comes in on a flatbed....DOA:)

Thanks again for all the help