1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius won't start, but has interior power....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jackieh2o8, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone-I am new to PriusChat, so please excuse any errors I make.

I have a 2007 Prius that I obtained second (third) hand. I was on my honeymoon for 3 weeks, and when I got back my car would not start. It had some power--interior lights worked, key fob worked to lock/unlock doors, etc. After reading several posts, I tried jump starting my car-that did not work. Then I replaced the 12v battery (brand new optima yellow top)--still does not start. I checked all the fuses, they are fine. One note is that my dad did change my key fobs while I was away, but only the exterior case/batteries were changed--nothing in regards to the chip or anything was changed (I don't believe this is the issue, since the key fob will still unlock/lock the door remotely).

Currently (after replacing the battery), things that WORK:
    ----interior lights
    ----chime when the door is open and the key is in the slot
    ----headlights
    ----power locks
    ----horn
    ----key fob for locking/unlocking doors.

Things that DON'T WORK:
    ----ZERO dash light activity, as far as starting goes (it works because it tells me when the door is open)
    ----the light over the parking button DOES NOT turn on
    ----the light over the power button DOES NOT turn on

I'm at a loss, because all the other threads, people at least had some activity with the dash, were able to jump start, or had zero power. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealership, as I know the cost will be astronomical. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try, that would be great.

THANK YOU!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like your dad didn't transfer the RFID chip from the old keyfob. Do you have a spare?

3. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If he didn't, then how would it open the doors? He said he only changed the case (and battery) and kept everything else intact. I hope that's not the issue, since he threw away the old case.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the chip may only be for starting the car. if the fob battery dies, you can unlock the door with the mechanical key, and the chip allows you to put the fob in the dash slot to start the car.

5. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, the current key fobs I have DO unlock the doors remotely (ie I don't have to unlock manually)...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, so the battery is good, but you need the chip to start the car. it works remotely with a good battery, or in the slot with a dead battery.

7. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My dad said he replaced the outer case only. so everything internally is the same. I would imagine that the chip has to be in there/operating, otherwise anyone with a key fob with a decent battery could unlock my car... so, there has to be some sort of identifying information that ties the key fob to my car (which seems to be working while locking/unlocking my car)...

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    many people have made this mistake before but it's a pretty expensive mistake to make if you threw out the old case

9. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    so, if he threw out the old case, what are my options at this point? go to the dealership? Can they even reprogram without the original?

10. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also, I don't think my car has SKS.. below the steering wheel, there is no button for it and I've always had to insert the key into the slot to start the car...does that make a difference (I'm guessing not, but thought I would check anyway)?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with @3prongpaul at boulder hybrids.com, he knows what your options are.
    give them a call, or click the link and 'start a conversation' with him.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two parts to the key fob, the circuit board that has the radio and electronics for operating the remote lock/unlock and the RFID chip, which is in the front of one of the case halves, that, when place in the key slot, talks to the immobiliser to start the car. So without the RFID the car will lock and unlock fine but will not start the car. With the RFID chip but without the circuit board the car will start (with the key fob in the slot) but will not remotely lock or unlock the car.
    It doesn't make a difference to you. If you did have SKS, the key fob would have a different circuit board that contains both the radios for the remote locking and the SKS. You would also be able to start car without the key in the slot, but would not start the car with the IN in the slot.

If the old key fob case has truly been thrown out and you do not have a spare working key fob, you are in a bad situation, because you are really in the same situation as someone who has lost their keys. You will need to purchase new keys and have them added to the car by the dealer. Probably will cost $400-$600. Sorry.

greasemonkey007 likes this.
  13. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks everyone! I called the dealership and, luckily, because my Prius is a 2nd Gen, they don't have to do a full ecu replacement job if I lost all my key fobs. Hopefully, they can use the key fobs I do have (which would save me $185). The quote I got from the dealership here was $124.95 to program the key and $90 to do the ECM Immobilizer Reset-so $214 plus tax (if I need a new key fob it would be a total of $400 plus tax). Not great, but much better than the $1,000+ I was originally thinking. So fingers crossed! My appointment is on Monday morning, so I will update everyone, in case this happens to anyone else.

bisco likes this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your dad changed the cases on both your keys?

What the dealer is doing is erasing the cars memory and adding new keys. This process can program used prius keys. So if you can get some cheap used keys, it'll save you more money than buying new from the dealer

15. Jackieh2o8

Jackieh2o8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks JC91006. I only had one key and I guess he had the second one (I live about 3 hrs away). So he changed both of them, forgetting about the transponder (he used to be really good at stuff like this, but sometimes shit happens). Just an (expensive) mistake/inconvenience, but, I guess it could be worse. Thanks again for all your help-I miss the days of "easy" car fixes. I'll update once I'm done with the dealer on Monday.

16. Zack1366

Zack1366 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi jackieh
    I had the same problem on my prius 2006. Have you solve that problem?

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Zack,

Please read post #12 in this thread. Did you replace the key fob case like Jackie's Dad did?

Here are photos of the mentioned RFID chip.

Prius Key Fob RFID Chip 2.png Prius Key Fob RFID Chip.png

JC91006 likes this.
  18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without that chip in your key fob you will have to buy new ones. You need to have a working chip in the fob.