1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius wont Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Codnameleo, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Codnameleo

Codnameleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello,

So i am kinda a silent reader of this forum. But i usually don't post anything. But today is the day i feel the need to post, as i need some help.

So on Friday i was driving back home. And all of a sudden my 2007 Prius stalled on me. No warning lights. No nothing. The car just went into neutral gear and stopped accelerating. The dashboard lights went dark. And nothing whatsoever there. So i turn off the car and tried to restart it. But of no avail. I tried to jumpstart it too. But didn't work. I finally had to tow the car to my home. Initially the tow truck tried to use the flatbed tow truck. But because the power button is unresponsive, the guy couldn't change the gear to neutral. So he used a different towing technique to tow it. And finally got the car home. And since then i have tried everything. After reading posts from numerous people here. I checked the 12v battery. Took it to the closest AutoZone. They told me that the battery is fine. So i tried checking all the fuses in the engine bay compartment and on the driver's side fuse bay. Everything looks fine there too. The guy from Autozone says it's weird that the power button is unresponsive. Because normally no matter what happens the color of the power button at least changes to Orange and that give you time to read error codes. But in my Prius the Power button is completely irresponsive. But everything else works fine. The car security works. The dome lights works. The headlights work. The Emergency flashes and indicators work.

The only thing i can think of i have done wrong while driving that trip is leaving the high beam on for too long. For like almost 2 hours. But that was while i was driving the car at work.

Please let me know if something like this has happened to any of you. And any solution for this kind of situation.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the am2 fuse in the engine compartment. I would replace it and see if you can start the car. I think it's a 15A fuse.

My guess is your inverter pump shorted out

3. Codnameleo

Codnameleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I checked all the fuse one by one. And all of them looks fine. None of them blown.

Will any fuse blow if my inverter pump shorts out ?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, AM2 fuse blows. That's why I recommended replacing it

RCO likes this.
  5. Codnameleo

Codnameleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I checked the fuse again. It looks fine. Do i replace it anyway ? But does shorted inverter pump had anything to do with unresponsive power button ?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's odd. That's the only common issue on the gen2 cars. While driving the car dies

Try disconnecting the 12v negative for a minute and reset the car. See if anything changes

7. Codnameleo

Codnameleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah. The guy at AutoZone was confused about it too. He was like atleast the power button should go Orange so that we can read the code.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you run out of gas? And then botched a jump start by reverse polarity?

9. Codnameleo

Codnameleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nope. The tank was half full. And the guy from the tow service tried to jump start it. And i watched him do it. And he did it right.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You tried resetting the car yet? Disconnect the 12v for a minute. Then insert the key fob into the key slot in the dash

You might need professional help with this. Call Avi at hybridfix.com. He may have more ideas. His shop is near USC

RCO likes this.
  11. Codnameleo

Codnameleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah. Tried resetting the car on Friday itself. Didn't work.

And i just came back from his place. Cannot locate his store. Although the address matches. I will try calling him tomorrow.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep us posted, I'm really curious what caused this failure

13. Jackie2

Jackie2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened to me. Not sure what it is....

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me neither, what does the dealer say?

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As mentioned previously....unplug the inverter cooling pump...replace AM2 fuse...

as Nike says.......just do it

When the AM2 lets go, the only light on the dashboard will be the small car symbol with the key in it (flashing slowly). The dome light will still work, and the small green lights on the key slot will be on. The MFD and radio will also be dead.

#15 TMR-JWAP, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  16. Henry1234567890

Henry1234567890 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base

You seem to
    About Prius help please! My Prius will
    Only start by jumpstarting. No engine lights! Works perfectly fine! Ac and acceleration all good. But as soon as I turn it off. Is dead gone! Nothing not a single
    Light on right away. I got the battery tested and I check with the multimeter and has voltage but acts as if it’s completely disconnected. I need help
    Please! The voltage at the battery is around 12v and Same when on. Terminal at the front by fuse box is 1.7V off and 14v when on. I don’t understand what’s wrong. Any help
    Would be greatly appreciated!

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was the result when you got the battery tested? It tested good on a load test?

If the battery was tested good under load, then I would check all the battery connections. Including the white plastic connectors on top of the battery positive connection. Make sure those 2 connectors are tight and not loose

18. Henry1234567890

Henry1234567890 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base

I wiggle the connector/cable connections and they appear to be fine. The connectors do “click”

The battery was tested and yes the battery was determined to be in good working condition. How can I test the connectors? I mean the car is completely off and I cannot unplug them to test while the car is on because it would turn off the car right? Thank you. And if so, wouldn’t the car not turn on at all?

I bought it used and in a rough condition. Not sure if the previous owner did. But 100% I did not reverse polarity while jumpstarting this car. I check all the connections going to the two connectors (that attach to the black plastic assembly on top of the battery) and there are 12V at the connections. So they are good. Connectors and cables look good too. But yeah that’s so weird! I just drove 40 miles no issues whatsoever. When I jumpstart it. I hear clicking multiple times and then boom turns on! Sounds like a relay clicking but I don’t know what relay does that? Could it be the fusible link? I inspected both and look perfectly fine. Or may be the front one is damaged. I am not sure how to check that one but the rear one is definitely intact and working. The weird thing is that once. I mean ONCE, I moved around the positive connection and the car turned on. And as soon I turned it off it went dead again. I didn’t move anything. I was just removing the red cover on the positive terminal. But it never worked again. It only happened once, i tightened the connections and clean the contacts and there are 12V going through so it has good connections. I am
    Not sure what wrong, any leads from this information? Please

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you check the connection on the battery negative to the car body ground? That bolt sometimes is not tight

Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  20. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring