1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius wont Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Codnameleo, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And did you check the fuseable link that’s on top of the battery? That black plastic box you fiddled with is a fuseable link also. It’s either that or the cable. No other reason to have only 1.7 volts at the front connector.

davecook89t likes this.
  2. Henry1234567890

Henry1234567890 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello yes I did. And it is at 12V. Are there any wiring diagram that connects the negative battery to the front terminals? Does anybody has access to one? I think that cable may have a short but I am
    Not sure where to look

3. Henry1234567890

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello I checked and I didn’t know either. But I have no wiring diagrams or any anything to help me chase this lead.

HEre is what happened: Hybrid battery was and and I’d rove the car and then suddenly battery kept dying. And every time I will charge, it will die nearly immediately and then will die right away after turning off

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    henry,

take a deep breath and start from the beginning. Explain to us what happened with the Hybrid battery and go from there. I'm sure we can help.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    hmmm..just had a thought....are you talking about the battery bars displayed on the dash multi function display screen?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no wire that connects the negative battery terminal to the front terminal. It is the positive terminal that has a wire to the front terminal. The negative battery terminal is connected by a short cable to the car body just to the left of the light. Check the clamp that is on the terminal is tight and will not twist or turn when you try to twist or turn it with your fingers. If it does, get a wrench and undo the nut, then push the clamp over the terminal and push it all the way down till almost touches the battery top. Then use the wrench to tighten the nut up. Be careful that when you're turning the nut that you do not lever the clamp up away from the battery top.

Once you have the clamp on and nice an tight, check the other end is firmly bolted to the car body.

Check, next that the black boxy unit on the positive terminal is also pressed down and bolted up tight on the positive battery post.

Report back with what all you find back there.

7. Henry1234567890

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base

My hybrid battery was bad ( red triangle of death) and i decided to take it for a drive anyways. I went a little further trip and I made couple of stops and the battery was dead on the third stop. I jumpstarted and It worked again. I drove it home and decided not to drive it far anymore until i fix the hybrid battery. Replaced couple modules and the light went away but the battery was dead. I had to jumpstarted to get it to work. The battery would die soon after turning the lights off when the car was off (like 10-15 seconds) and I had to jumpstart again. So I took the battery to airports sotre. And got them to load tested and I was told it was good. Battery still under warranty from them (carquest) could they have lied to me? Would they be losing money by repacking my battery? Well that would still not explain the different voltage though

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid battery starts the engine and assists with motive power.

the 12v battery boots the computers and closes relays. the battery icon on the dash is for the hybrid battery.

if the car will not become ready, it is a 12v problem. if the 12v is new and measuring 12 volts, it is bad.

if it measures 12 volts after you jump it, you have a bad inverter/converter.

if you are not getting the same reading at the front jump point as at the 12v battery, that is another issue altogether.

you have a lot going on henry, and you need to take a more methodical approach to diagnosis and repair.

the red triangle of death does not necessarily signify a bad hybrid battery, it just means there is a problem and you need to read the trouble codes with tech stream to find out what the problem is.

9. Henry1234567890

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base

I took the hybrid battery out and replaced two
    Modules that read 6.5 V. Triangle of death is gone now and while disconnecting my ground the car turned on and started. Turned off and started again. I tested the ground multiple times with good results. I don’t understand how but just listening up the connection a little seems to have resolved the issues for now. We will keep you guys posted! Thank you so much for the help

davecook89t and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)