1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 PRIUS WORKSHOP MANUAL ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FloridaWen, May 11, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In a few days we will be picking up our new 2007 Prius Touring from our local Dealer. With every vehicle we have always bought, whether it was new or used, we have always purchased a “genuine†factory workshop MANUAL. I’m not saying I am going to “tear-down†the vehicle or do major repairs, but it is just nice to know what is involved IF the vehicle had to be serviced and the correct way to perform certain tasks I can do myself, such as oil & filter changes, brakes, other adjustments and/or parts replacement, etc. During the past three decades we have been purchasing just brand new Acura or Hondas. Their manuals are available from HELM, Inc. and were expensive, but easy to purchase and very detailed and “smartly†written with plenty of illustrations. We must admit this new Prius is OUR FIRST NEW TOYOTA in over 30 years. I checked the Helm, Inc. book site and they do not print any Toyota manuals. I am thinking that once we pick up (next week) our new Prius, there might be a place in the back of the Owners’ Manual telling us where to purchase Factory Workshop Manuals…. Maybe not ??

Any suggestions where to buy a “GENUINE†and well written 2007 PRIUS WORKSHOP MANUAL ??

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One option is to talk to the guy at the parts counter, but my understanding is that a full set of manuals will run you several undred dollars. The other option if you only need the manual once in a great while is to use techinfo.toyota.com. That site allows you to view the manuals electronically for $10/day. There may be an "unlimited" option (can't remember) but it's probably in the same price range as getting the hard copies.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're the type that always owns service manuals for your cars,
    then you probably *are* going to tear into the car, even if just a
    little! It's inevitable, because it's so much fun! You cannot
    resist!
    _H*

4. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 11 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]439790[/snapback]</div>
    :( In my younger years I used to be an automobile mechanic as well as (much later) a Service Manager in a Chrysler Dealership (in Connecticut) for a couple of years before we moved down to Florida in 2000. I still do the standard PM ..... that is oil & filter changes, fluid changes, belts, brakes, air filters, wipers, rotate tires, wash & wax, etc.

I was "spolied" by Honda/Acura making "genuine" factory workshop manuals available (through Helm, Inc.) for way under $75 each for COMPLETE manual. One was for BODY and other was MECHANICAL/ELECTRICAL !! Like I wrote, this is our FIRST TOYOTA !! I can't even find a Haynes manual for the 2007 Prius, which are those $15, thin, "so-so" simple manuals available at autoparts and book stores.

When I did a search for TOYOTA MANUAL I "see" they are in FOUR VOLUMES and like $150+ each volume !!
    Perhaps there is something available on CD ????????????

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ May 11 2007, 03:43 AM) [snapback]439783[/snapback]</div>
    IIRC, it's $50 for a month. That's enough time to download everything you need. I prefer it to hard copy, since it's a set of pdf files. That's a lot easier to use in searching for a keyword or topic.

Dave M.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 11 2007, 05:53 AM) [snapback]439818[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, there is. I bought one on Ebay. It includes the Repair Manual plus other info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...s_promot_widget

You can also download info from: http://techinfo.toyota.com/

if you subscribe for a 1 day($10), 1 month ($50) or 1 yr ($350).

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 12 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]440427[/snapback]</div>
    THANKS ever so much "dogfriend".... GREATLY appreciated.... :D

8. txrover

txrover New Member

Looks like that guy downloaded all the documents and put them on a CD and is selling them. Seems like piracy to me, I guess we could just call it file sharing for profit :unsure:

The CD label looks homemade with a program such as Stomp.

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(txrover @ May 12 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]440717[/snapback]</div>
    I think that is a distinct possibility. If you have an issue with it, then you can download most or all of the info from the techinfo.toyota site instead. I have downloaded the repair manuals for a Toyota truck and part of the Toyota Avalon from that site. My opinion is that you could not download all of the stuff on the CD in 3 days even with a fast broadband connection (I have a cable modem 6Mbps).

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 12 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]440865[/snapback]</div>
    Once again I agree with "dogfriend" 100%.... I was fully aware this CD was NOT a "genuine Toyota-made part", but I do NOT have any membership to Toyota online and even is I pay $10.00 a day I probably could not get all that downloaded information in three and a half days ($35)..... If I did manage to download ALL those (12,000+) files I still would have very possibly driven myself "crazy" :p probably starting after the second day. This guy selling the CD obviously has a "yearly" membership and could even have friends come online and "help him" with the downloads.... never-the-less, I am hoping that he has downloaded the majority, if not ALL the "files" I will need to keep my brand new Prius running correctly. This CD supposedly contains content that explains many of the "principles and workings" of the "special and different" parts on the Hybrid, such as the transmission, electric motor, etc. Being an ex-mechanic and ex-gearhead this information will be invaluable to me just to learn "How It Works" (like that TV show :D ). I am a very curious Engineeer (unfortunately un-employed at this time) and I was more than willing to BUY GENUINE TOYOTA "printed" (or CD) MANUALS, but NOT at OVER $400 a set !!!! (that is like four vehicle payments.............)

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Any* of those manuals-on-CD you get off ebay are pirated. One
    asshang called "synergy916" [he's gone now] even had the balls to use
    my flyer graphic [itself in part also lifted from Toyota's material,
    but in a pretty harmless way] completely without permission, notification,
    or even a good reason how it had anything to do with what he was
    trying to sell. And of course ebay stonewalls any and all complaints.
    But if that works for you rather than bulk-downloading all the goodies
    from toyota, go for it..
    _H*

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 13 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]441024[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I was "spoiled" when I owned Honda / Acura products and bought LEGIMATE printed MANUALS from Helm, Inc. for around $50.00 each. If Toyota would offer the consumer a Workshop Manual for around $100 I definitely would buy it. I am sure the FOUR volumes of MANUALS that Toyota DOES offer give an immense amount of information, obviously much more than the average "Do-It-Yourselfer" (backyard mechanic) needs, but for OVER $400 a set of four, I just cannot afford these. All I want is a "real live book" I can pick up, sit in my recliner, and read.... see just how the transmission works, look "inside" the actual working parts (through illustrations) of the engine, read what the suggested maintanance schedule is and just how to remove that air and oil filter, proper R & R procedures, proper torque specs., etc. The CD is a good "alternative", although I know I will be going through reams of paper printing the info into hard copy.
    I'm NOT trying to "beat-the-system" and get something for less to nothing......... but WHY can't Toyota offer the consumer one or two MANUALS (or even complete CD) for about $150 (or less) ?? Like I said, if I decide that I might want to perform, just for example, a brake job myself, rather than taking it to the dealer, then please let me see the "complexity" of it. If too complexed, I just might want an authorized Toyota dealer to perform that job for me.... obviously the MANUAL (or CD) will accomplish this !!

As far a "BULK DOWNLOADING" from the online site, I am under the understanding that EACH file must be downloaded ONE-BY-ONE..... you CANNOT just select "DOWNLOAD ALL" as we would like to, to make it so much easier.............. :(

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The CD that I received from "therealbirdman" includes the repair manual, the wiring diagrams, TSBs,
    dismantling manual, and Toyota tech training manuals. It may have some other stuff too, I have not had time to fully explore it. It has a Windows based program that serves as an index, but I am using a Mac so I just open the PDF files directly.

Although of questionable legality, I think it is worth the $35 because downloading and organizing the info is time-consuming and tedious - I know this because I downloaded all of the repair manual for our Toyota truck from the tech.toyota site. The biggest problem is that you have to rename and save each PDF separately which slows the process considerably.

I bought a CD repair manual for my Ford Explorer from a different individual on Ebay a few years ago, even though I had already bought the hard copy version used from Ebay previously. It is much more convenient to be able to print out the section you need while working on the vehicle and then recycling the dirty copy when done rather than keep your only printed version clean.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I did my TIS run I managed to automate a lot of the process,
    but it involved backending a windoze/IE box [to log in and get
    indexes] with a unix-based logging proxy and a lot of "wget" action
    once I had file lists. I kept the PDFs and wrapper HTML the same
    structure as on the TIS site, and it's easy to search for stuff.
    If you grub around through my web stuff enough you'll find the index
    files, but it's all for '04 and nothing more recent.
    Their site still sucks, from what I can tell.
    _H*

15. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 13 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]441396[/snapback]</div>
    :D WOW.... I think I will be more than satisfied with my $35 purchase. With the "cost" of labor and time nowadays, I am sure (like I wrote before) it would take me days and days to download ALL the stuff that is on the eBay CD !! For $35 it saves my "sanity" and MY TIME !! I am NOT "for" piracy, and (as I also wrote before) if TOYOTA offered a CD like this one that "therealbirdman" offers, I would surely pay Toyota $100 to $150 for it..... but they DON'T !!
    By-the-way....... I am going to love the "index"...... something that (I heard) is NOT available from the Toyota "download pay site" !!

16. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 14 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]441526[/snapback]</div>
    You satisfied with your purchase, but not "for" piracy? You are purchasing a piracy item from ebay. You are encouraging piracy activities. Also, posting comment on public forum with your encouragement will not help too.

17. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ May 14 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]441612[/snapback]</div>
    But this is what I wrote and mean.................(as I also wrote before) if TOYOTA offered a CD like this one that "therealbirdman" offers, I would surely pay Toyota $100 to $150 for it..... but they DON'T !!

I had NO problem paying Helm, Inc. (a book publishing company in USA) around $50 for any of the Acura / Honda MANUALS I purchased from them. Each was just chock full of genuine factory information, specs., illustrations, tips, do's and don'ts, etc. Had them (and still kept them) for '90 Accord, '95 Accord, 2000 Acura TL, '03 MDX and '04 CR-V.
    One of my FIRST POSTS on this forum was inquiring about "legal" printed manuals available at an AFFORDABLE COST to the general public !! Then I did a Google search !! Now come on, nearly $500 for Toyota Manuals............ TEN TIMES the price I paid for more than what I bought for the Honda / Acura products. I am currently unemployed and every penny counts. Like I said for the fifth or sixth time, if TOYOTA made a CD then I WOULD PAY (even if I had to use my charge card and pay interest) for this "legal" piece of valuable information.
    ALL I want to do is learn more about this state-of-the-art HYBRID Vehicle (Prius) and when and how I should change fluids and other PM items, and if too "complicated" to do it myself, I will then "see" what is involved and take it to a genuine Toyota Dealer for service. The choice was this......... $35 or OVER $500 !! So what would YOU do if you were unemployed and living on a very tight budget. By the way, this "tight budget" is why we are trading in our gas guzzling SUV for a fuel-efficient Toyota Prius, and believe me, we are taking quite a "loss" at trade-in !! We figured that in three years (probably much less) it will be a "break-even" for what we did...............
    I'm not trying to be insulting to YOU or be a wise guy, but for God sakes, you have so many expensive "options" and "extras" on your "top-of-the-line-package" vehicle .... not ALL of us have the money to buy the "extras", although we would love them........ my Wife and I are THRILLED we can get PACKAGE 5 and our "extras" will be rubber floor mats !!

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 12 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]440865[/snapback]</div>
    Right. It's worth it to get a full month subscription. Even at that, you'd be spending a fair amount of time near the computer, so you could enter the next file name when the current download finishes. I know I did. And there are a huge number of files to download. I know I have over 1200 files in the folder where I've saved them. However, some of them are probably duplicates.

Dave M.

19. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

20. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius