1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 PRIUS WORKSHOP MANUAL ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FloridaWen, May 11, 2007.

1. lturner

lturner New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 15 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]442501[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe the best way to approach this is to pay Toyota for a month access ($50). That gives you the right to use/archive those files for your own use. Then, purchase the CD off of ebay ($35). Consider it a labor payment for the time you would have spent downloading the files one at a time. Doing it this way would stand up legally (for you, not the seller). You would still end up with the manuals for $85.

Of course, I found out about the CD too late and am downloading the last of my hundreds of files this week. My dad also owns a Corolla, so I am getting those manuals as well....

2. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geek My Ride @ Jul 9 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]475433[/snapback]</div>
    The "eBay CD" is just so-so..... I bought one and I am very disappointed. Yes, it has some, and I say SOME, semi-useful info, but it is not arranged in a friendly, easy to look up manner. Lots of the content is just a "reprint" of the actual owners manual you have in your glovebox, and even that starts (on the eBay CD) somewhere in the middle of the manual (NAV section) and goes in all sorts of strange order, backwards and forwards, very confusing and no "method" to the downloads, NO CD index, etc. LOTS of important content is missing, too. It certainly is better than nothing but NOT worth $35 !! :angry:

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 9 2007, 05:34 AM) [snapback]475434[/snapback]</div>
    I just downloaded a bunch of files from the techtoyota.com site for our Avalon, and that's not much better organized than the CD. I agree that the material could be better organized on the CD, but I think its worth the $35 compared to downloading it all yourself.

If you use the Toyota site, you can organize it however you want, but its going to take you hours to do so. If you have the CD, you can copy the files you want to your HD and organize them how you want also. I just copied the PDF files onto my computer, and keep the CD as a backup.

I'm not sure what info you think is missing; it looks like most of the same info as the Toyota site. I did find one or two TSBs on the Toyota site that aren't on the CD.

4. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

Yeah, non of these options appeal to me. The samples on the TIS website sucks, one page? How can that help me decide if tis worth 50 bucks or not. Anyway does anyone have a bot that will do the downloading for me, something that grabs everything off the TIS site without me having to know anything about computers?

5. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elephanthead @ Jul 9 2007, 08:03 AM) [snapback]475501[/snapback]</div>
    The info on the TIS website is the same info that the dealers have, if that helps.

I don't know of a "bot" that can do this for you, but others have alluded to automating the process.

I am thinking of doing a short writeup for Mac users, because the official FAQ for the site says that it is not compatible with Macs, only for PCs running IE. This is not true, I was able to use the site with a Mac; I changed my user agent to report IE6 for PC, but this may not be necessary.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 13 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]441043[/snapback]</div>
    +1 for an "official" manual. This is a revenue source that Toyota is missing out on.

7. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looking for the ....therealbirdman......and the 2007 Prius Reference manual on CD.

Anybody know where he and the CD's went ??

8. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Jul 18 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]480866[/snapback]</div>
    In "JAIL" for counterfeiting copyright material. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ Jul 18 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]480871[/snapback]</div>
    The sad part is that you may be correct. Some people think eBay is a great "dumping ground" to get rid of stolen or copyright infringed items. eBay is very, very closely watched.... VERY closely !! I'll never forget when I tried to sell (many years ago) a used but in great cond. ADT Alarm panel when I upgraded. Within one hour after listing I got a real, official email from an ADT person that "watched" eBay just for people using their patented, copyrighted "ADT" name. I was TOLD to get the words ADT out of my ad or they will pull it off within the hour. Naturally I wanted no trouble so I removed the references to ADT and just called it a "famous manufacturer's unit". Any fool could "see" in the pics that it had the ADT logo, etc. on it, but the pics were okay to keep in the add (figure it out??). This was NOT a hoax or a scare tactic from another person, it was REAL ADT Company email !! All the big Companies monitor eBay, whether it be 24/7/365 or just random? Microsoft, HP and Dell "watch" eBay very closely. I am sure several law enforcement divisions also monitor eBay for potential stolen property. eBay itself has gotten a lot stricter on it's lax policies the past few months and have enforced and put in place a new set of rules.

The case of the CD from "therealbirdman", it was a piece of junk anyway. He may have gotten away with just a fine and/or warning, who knows??, but all-in-all it was certainly NOT worth anything more than $1.00, if that. He was selling them for $35.00 each !! Almost 60% of it was just reprints (scans to pdf.) of the exact owner's manual you have in the glovebox. The other 40% was so scattered and unorganized with no "search" feature or decent table of contents !!

10. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK...Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm like allot of others....just wanting a repair manual ...for "do it yourself" and basic understanding of how stuff works and comes apart...and Toyota (or others) do not provide it for a reasonable dollar amount.

I've checked into the (NEW) Toyota TIS but from what I've gleaned from reading here it is not real easy to download and save and then use. The "highlighted path" that electricity flows on the new wiring diagrams seems awsome.....I wonder, if when saved, it will work as well as in the demo????

Hopefully some one will clue all of us in, as to how it works and the feasability of subscribing to it.

All Comments are appreciated.

Thanks again !!!

11. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Jul 18 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]480902[/snapback]</div>
    :( I wrote this a few times previously in other posts here but I write it once again.... this is our first Toyota vehicle ('07 Prius) and before this we had over half a dozen Honda / Acura products over the past three decades. Before the Toyota, with each new vehicle I have gotten used to just buying a 100% GENUINE Honda or Acura manual from Helm, Inc. for $40 to $60. It was shipped to my house and weighed about 10 pounds, over 3" thick. It was a great reference tool for me as I could see the complexity of what it would take to perform a particular task on that vehicle and decide whether I could tackle the job myself or have to bring it to an authorized dealer. I also "learned" the working of that vehicle and had a great listing of scheduled maintanance that needed to be performed. R & R's were very nicely presented and the illustrations were superb..... and remember, it was written for the "average owner" as well as the Genuine Factory Trained Mechanic !!

The day after we placed our 2007 Prius "order" (it was on ship headed toward port, had a two week wait) I went to the Helm website (as I have been doing for 30 years) to purchase a TOYOTA manual for our incoming Prius. What a dam shock to find out Helm did not sell Toyota manuals... then to find out Toyota manuals come in a FOUR VOLUME SET at over $125 EACH volume........ man what a bummer !! :angry:

Then I tried to find a simple "Haynes" or "Chilton" PRIUS manual for around $20.00........ NOT AVAILABLE !! :angry:

Then I heard that on the Toyota "file download website" (TIS?) there is no way to "tag" ALL the files and download them in one complete batch. I read (here on PriusChat) that someone made a Unix based batch file of some sorts to do this, but certainly NOT for the average person that just wants to gather up necessary data files and download them to know a little bit MORE about their brand new (or used) Prius and wants to know HOW IT WORKS, what to touch and what NOT to touch !! :angry:

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Jul 18 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]480902[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe you should try a one day, $10 subscription. That is enough time to check out what they have and download quite a few documents.

The site FAQ says you have to use IE, but I was able to use the site using Safari web browser on the Mac. You have to turn off any programs to block pop ups, because when you click on the link to a PDF document, the site spawns a pop up window with the PDF. On the Mac, you can right click > save file as > type in the name you want for the file. The file is then saved as a PDF on your computer. I think you should be able to do the same on a Windows PC.

13. unknownone

unknownone Junior Member

HI all,

My question is how hard is to download everything needed for the 2007 Prius? I have a fairly fast connection (12mbs/786)? are you limited to one d'l at a time of can you queue up a bunch of files at once? Has anyone used techinfo.toyota since they did the web site upgrade? I would spend the money to have access for a month to d'l everything needed but if the info is all flash animation then it wouldn't be worth it for me. I'm hoping for a bunch of pdf files with at least a title file name or some kind of index.

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unknownone @ Jul 18 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]481228[/snapback]</div>
    The connection speed isn't so much of an issue since the files are sent in PDF format. Using the website, you really can only do one document at a time. If you are a clever hacker, you may be able to get around this limitation, but I'm not that clever.

For the average non-hacker:

You search for your model and year, it presents you with several catagories (Serv Manual, Wiring Diagrams, TSBs, etc). You then choose a catagory and you are presented with a list of links to PDF files (for some catagories there will be +50 links). You can then click on a link and a new window will be created with the PDF file. This is the file that you can save after renaming it. In some cases, you can accept the default name if you want (I did this with TSBs) but for others you must rename because each window will have the same name when created by the website.

For the latest session, I named the files whatever the page number was at the top of the document (i.e. BR1 for the first file in the Brakes section) because its quick to type in 4 characters and some procedures refer to other procedures by the page number, so you can find other procedures more easily. I put each catagory in its own folder.

I used it last week because I did the front brakes on my GF's Avalon and wanted to download the brake info. So, that's how it worked last week.

15. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 15 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]442501[/snapback]</div>
    I hope all you guys are still reading this. So I'm going to assume that this is the only information on the Prius, since Haynes supposedly doesn't have anything yet? I had Haynes manuals on my last two cars, a 96 Camry and 98 Corolla, and while they were helpful, they kinda sucked because some figures would be from a previous year that was totally different from the vehicle I was working on, yet Haynes insisted they were the same.

So as for the whole CD from ebay, is it maxxed out (as in using all 650 or 700MB)?

Paul

16. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pkhoury @ Nov 5 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]535288[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about the CD from ebay but my collection of the 2006 manuals is about 300MB

17. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Nov 5 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]535294[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, so that gives me an idea how futile it would be to spend a day downloading manuals. How applicable are the 2006 manuals to the 2007? I'm just trying to get information on general maintenance, like cleaning the throttle body, changing fluids, changing front brakes (I hate changing drum brakes - major PITA), and other things that I don't think the dealer should overcharge me for.

Paul

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't want to sit there and manually click and save every PDF
    yourself. You want to determine the basic directory structure and
    generate a list of all of them, and then plug that into an automated
    procedure. Back when I did it I had to backend an IE box with a
    unix-based proxy -- use IE to log in and grab the cookie, and then
    plug that and the list into "wget" and let 'er rip. But this
    requires that one know something about computers and scripting and
    massaging big file lists, so it's not for everybody. Oh, and a
    second pass was needed to find all the *other* files whose names
    were only embedded into the PDFs themselves, not even indexed...
    I think they've changed the overall structure of the info around
    2006 and up -- larger PDFs with more info, less of them, and linked
    duplicate files.
    _H*

19. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 5 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]535326[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with scripting. But I am curious how you interfaced IE with wget. Same box? I use Solaris 10, so I'm a moderate user of wget.

So basically, it's more trouble than it's worth?

Paul

20. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    F.Y.I. - The 2006 Prius CD sold on eBay had good content and organized with a logical order while the eBay 2007 Prius CD (different person) was just a thrown together "hodgepodge" with no flow and lots of missing data.
    To go and fetch the data yourself is certainly the BEST way to get all content, but as stated in previous posts, an "automated" procedure of downloading PDF's is better than trying to get every one manually !!