1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Remanufactured brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jason Packel, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Jason Packel

Jason Packel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I have to get my brake actuator fixed on my 2007 Prius. Is it safe to get a remanufactured actuator on Ebay and have a mechanic put it in? It appears that a remanufactured actuator is about $850 as opposed to a new one for about $1200. Thanks. JP

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know that I'd trust eBay as a supplier of remanufactured actuators. If I got into that business I'd be selling them through my website and storefront. I'd also be sure they would fly out the door if they were truly remanufactured to a high standard.

To be honest, $400 (online price is $1163) is not enough of a discount on the new for me to go through the pain of installing a secondhand part and then have it fail. For something as important as this, I'd be installing the new part so that I have the surety of not having to worry about it for at least as years into the future. Sometimes it cost dollars to save a few cents.

JC91006 and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the warranty on the 'used' part?

Will the mechanic reinstall it again for free if it fails?

Do you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time?

JC91006 likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would check on the labor price to install and bleed the brakes. That might be $600 by itself which would not be guaranteed with a used part. Certainly not guaranteed is the part fails three months later and a new one is needed. In any case finding that labor price upfront may help you decide if its going to be a used or new unit.

It appears the same ebay seller is selling "refurbished" for $465 versus "remanufactured" for $850, both with a thirty day warranty. Both require returning the core, eg your old one. My guess is the reman version takes newer units and perhaps cleans them up better. The fact they want a core must mean some easy failures are sometimes fixed or parts are swapped to make one good one.

5. Jason Packel

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses you guys, sorry it took so long to get back you all. Because it takes 6 hours to install, if I get a bad actuator then I have to pay for another 6 hours. I guess there is no way of telling if a remanufactured actuator is really that good, I am not sure who does the remanufacturing.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pay the extra $350 upfront to buy a new unit. Don't forget, one accident will cost you more, maybe much more if someone gets hurt. A brake actuator assembly that outright fails leaves you with no power assist and much longer stopping distances. Both of which could surprise you at the worst possible time.

7. Jason Packel

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks rjparker.