1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 swapped ABS, blown ABS-1 and ABS-2 fuses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GreenApp, Jan 9, 2024.

1. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So my ABS/assy had been dying slowly, running more often for longer, ABS light stays on. (144k miles)

Bought an advertised as working ABS pump/assy from ebay, pulled the old, swapped the new. I don't have techstream but I have bled the brakes on the old ABS with the pedal method several times.

I get ABS (!) and BRAKE lights still but I don't hear the typical noisy ABS/assy motor sound, not even sure I heard it at all TBH over the alarm.

So I start the procedure to do the pedal method, but the ABS unit doesn't run at all.
    I can hear at least 2 selenoids clicking back and forth periodically but no ABS assy sound.

I didn't touch the brake, Master cylinder is full (firm), never let the reservoir get low, mind you.

So I put my friend's snap-on professional scantool on it, pulled codes C1253 and C1256.

I started pulling fuses, and the ABS-1 (25A) is blown. Curious further, the ABS-2 (30A) in the fusible link is blown as well.

So I removed the traction cable again (has to come out to) to pull out/reseat the wiring harness to the ABS/assy (Just in case), and while doing I made sure the abs is full of fluid (by loosening the top brake line) the abs is full of fluid.

The master is firm, can drive around (albeit with the annoying alarm and no power brakes)

I bought a new fusible link, and I am about to put it in, but I'm thinking I should perhaps ask if there is a way to test (before I put it in) if it's just going to blow again because I bought a $500 lemon from EBAY.

I was going to attempt a multimeter test but as a common troglodyte parts replacer I need a visual or well-explained hand holding session.

Question 1: Is the new ABS motor/assy likely siezed/fried/DOA?
    Question 2: Is the new fuse likely to immediately blow again if it is?
    Question 3: Is there any other potential cause of blowing the fuses other than aforementioned?

Thanks in advance!

#1 GreenApp, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wonder if looking in the factory manual which is online here somewhere they give you a pin out for the plug that goes into the receptacle on top of the ABS unit that way there you might could put 12 volts from a bench 12 volt feed and a ground to the unit without having to fry anything in the car and see if you can make it do something like that on the bench. It's really tricky when you buy these things used like this usually I try to be able to see the car and all that so you can kind of tell what's going on You might close inspection everybody online will tell you they have a working one how do they know they're taking it out of a salvage car in their salvage yard they just know that they'll send you another one if you meet their criteria for proving that one's bad I would hate to think the provider want you to ship the stupid thing back but then again a lot of these people are the stupid is as stupid does mindset. Maybe the fuse has got blown with the old unit hard to say It's pretty wild I've never seen that so far in the four of mine No fuse is no relays I even got a couple of relays where the blue plastic cover is cracked and messed up from trying to squeeze and pull them out not from overheating or anything like that. That's interesting I've never seen all those fuses and relays damaged from just changing out the unit. If you're taking out the plug again with the little white blocking clip and cam on it maybe shoot your camera down there and take a picture of the receptacle and see if you see any bent pins.

GreenApp likes this.
  3. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I did that actually! I used a tiny mirror and I didn't see any. Interestingly enough, the old one had 2-3 slightly bent pins.

4. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I pulled the "new" abs unit out (and I got out my multimeter and it is not checking out. Should have tested it before I put in the car.

Got another one from same guy. Preliminary ohm testing is looking good, going to go through the whole thing

Question!

I see there are two DIFFERENT styles of black accumulators on these ABS units. One with a "domed" top and the other with a "flat" top.
    What would be the difference?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nothing really One is the later model one is the early I don't know which is which it goes by the number on the black label generally there should be some stuff in text here about it on this site All I care about is one that's working and what measurements of ohms are you using and on what plug your probing the receptacle on top of the ABS pump assembly? I guess you got the specs from a manual or something?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Where are the test specification that you are using You have them on paper or something send me a copy It's my [email protected]

7. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I pulled them from this thread: Changing the Actuator | PriusChat

But only the big ones show anything, can't get an ohm reading on any of the smaller pins (except 33 to ground). On any of the 3 abs units I have.

I can have only discerned that the previous swap had a short - burned out motor and thereby blew my ABS fuse and fusible link.

Hopefully this next one works out.

#7 GreenApp, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's how it is with the multifunction display in the middle of the dash there's a plug on the back of it or a receptacle that has flat spayed connectors mixed with the little tiny pins and seems that voltage that's anything worth a crap goes through those larger flat spade connectors or whatever you'd call them and the little tiny pins are mainly for very mild signal pulses or something along those lines It's like the flat spay looking connectors are made for power and amperage and the little thin wires or pins are made for signals or something along those lines.

9. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha yeah I replaced that couple years ago crapped out on me already. Might get another off ebay.

10. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whelp! I just got the 3rd unit in, and I made sure to super duper vacuum the lines (loads of bubbles, easy a pint+ ran through total just bleeding, not counting the 2 pints prior), put the HV unit in, connected the orange breaker and Aux battery... crossed my fingers and opened the door. RINNNNGG.... and then it stopped HAHA! Heard the buzz of the abs for about 2 seconds. Pedal's firm.

I'll actually start it, clear codes and relearn the linear valve offset tomorrow.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you just use little c clamps on the lines coming out of the reservoir you can stop the flow of fluid remove your ABS pump in actuator slide the new one in and offer up the lines hand tight then unclamp the line that goes from the reservoir to the clear hose on the side of the actuator and if you wait a minute you'll start seeing fluid dripping out of the bottom ferrule that screwed in to the unit start tightening from the bottom then let the next one start to drip tighten it go up and let the next one start to drip tighten it go up and do the next one lastly go to the very top of the actuator and you'll see fluid puddling on the top of the actuator tighten it up now you've pushed a lot of the air out of the actuator just by this by the time you actually start to bleed the front brakes with the relays out you'll notice you're not pushing any air anywhere practically then you put the relays in and you go to the back which I've already let drip a little fluid just sitting there one side at a time after that I put the relays in have boo boo sit in the car hold the breakdown and do the right one first in the rear it squirts out you hear the pump running close it up do it again do the other side in the back and generally you have nothing coming out you've used very little fluid and now you're ready to see what's going to rip.