1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Tail light removal instructions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by msoengineer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. william wetzelberger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom, thanks. I used your instructions to replace my tail light......very helpful thanks

2. priuschatter2

priuschatter2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's not so clear from your photos or instructions: the two nuts (not bolts) to be removed are located between the bulb cluster and the hatch door. Also attached to the bolts are white plastic ties that hold a black cable (perhaps someone had already been in your car and pulled them off?). Pull off the plastic ties with a pliers. If you don't have a 2"-deep socket for the nuts, a wrench will work fine. On the outside of the car, a thump on the inner side of the lens with the heel of your palm will set it free.

The taillight can be removed WITHOUT removing the inside wall of the trunk, though it's a little harder. To do so, remove the bulb access cover. At the inside edge of the hole (as you face it, left side for a drivers taillight, right side for a passengers taillight) there will be a black cable. Follow it up to find the top bolt - it will be 2" above the hole. Follow the cable down to find the lower bolt - it will be 1" below the hole. To pull off the wire ties, slide a pliers over the bolt shaft behind the wire tie and pull towards you. Use a 10 mm crescent wrench to get the nuts started. If you push in on the lens, you might even be able to unload the nuts enough that you can untighten just with fingers.

3. JohnPV

JohnPV Junior Member

I just got a LH tail light housing off Ebay for $65 shipped , factory packed Toyota box . Had to come here to figure out to put it on , that's for tomorrow.

4. mff

mff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My LED Stop light's are dim- removed the unit & found a "PCB" under the seal- do you know where I can get one of these circuit boards?
    Mike

5. veepy

veepy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does the above work differently for the 2012 models?. I seem to have the taillight assembly get stuck at the bottom with a tab that is attached at the bottom to the bumper preventing me from freeing it. Very frustrating.

6. veepy

veepy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just follow this and this important tip for removing the taillight
    Part II: Installation and Initial Review of Valenti JDM full LED tail lamps from TWP | PriusChat

Part II: Installation and Initial Review of Valenti JDM full LED tail lamps from TWP | PriusChat

7. BBBruce

BBBruce New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A