1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Touring edition worth it??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lkhensley, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekygeek @ Oct 22 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]336537[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I'm not a fan of how the touring wheels look without the caps. Not at all.....

It sounds like if you get a higher end model, the touring cost is amortized better then in lower end packages. Since I'm more of a base package guy in general, the normal Prius would have been the way I would have gone if the Touring would have been avail in 06.

2. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekygeek @ Oct 22 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]336537[/snapback]</div>
    We just bought our 2006, Touring Package 3 for 450 under MSRP. We are folk who don't normally think it is reasonable to buy a car unless we offer thousands less than MSRP, so this was a tough experience. We selected the touring, in the hope that it would make it feel more stable, as people have complained of the drift issue. I asked whether there was any difference in MPG and was told there was not.

I think the difference is not as much as 1,000, if you get the same options. The 3 package in the Touring is equivalent to a 4 package I think, or really it is just a bit higher end, because it has the blue tooth, and basically all of the features that a 5 or 6 package has except nav and leather.

I hope we did the right thing. This was a hard, hard decision. We have always driven Hondas, but were stung on the 1998, with its massively expensive and failure prone Cat and were attracted to the high tech stuff in the Prius. The main thing for us, however, is that it is a clean car and it gets decent milleage. Our 1998 Honda Accord gets 33 MPG, while the new ones only get 23, unless you get a hybrid V6, which gets 33.

We wanted to do better than 33 and we wanted our tall teen to be able to sit in the back seat on family trips, without his head hitting the ceiling. As it is, he doesn't have much room to grow! But in the Hondas, both Accord and Civic, his head was already touching the ceiling. So this is why we did it. The ONLY other choice for us, would have been to move up to an SUV or something that has much more head room.

I'm just blathering on, because I am in shock. Its hard for us to buy cars.

3. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You won't be disappointed. Let the buying experience wear off and you will be left with a great car. If you haven't already, search for items like pulse and glide, stealth, fuel economy etc. There are many great posts on how to really wring out fuel economy or just drive it and have fun.

CJB

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Had an opportunity to drive a 2007 "Touring" today (Mon 23 Oct). I found the suspension had a somewhat better 'feel' than the 'Standard.' Seems the North Texas dealers actually have some 2007's in stock and are not adding 'market adjustment' to the MSRP. In fact, I was able to get >$500 discount and a good trade on my low mileage 2004.

With the NET difference of $141.74 for the Touring version after trade and t.t.l., I consider the Touring well worth the difference.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 21 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]336184[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think I agree; the wheels look pretty plastick-y if you see 'em up close. Not nearly as convincing as the 15's with the trim rings. And the tires probably cost Toyota next to nothing over the Integrities, as did the 'tuned' suspension.

It may be worth more to *you* but I'm not sure that the car itself actually has $270 additional content over and above the Standard Edition.

That said, I'm a fan of both.

6. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

I just bought a 2007 touring edition - and got $1200 off sticker. The sales guy said this was the first time in the 2 years he's been at the dealership that he recalls a discount like this on the Prius. Apparently, there was a massive run up in orders for the car from people scalded by $3.50/gal gas (CA) in July and then by people trying to beat the September 30th tax credit deadline. So dealerships had many people on waiting lists and were begging toyota for more cars. Well, this batch arrived on the lot in early October, too late for the last minute tax credit and right in the fact of nearly $1/gallon price cuts. So, for the first time ever, most dealerships actually have inventory of Prius sitting around.

Anyway, I drove both the base and Touring, and I found the Touring to be a bit sportier - but not much. Of course, my other car is (was) a Mercedes-Benz so clearly the Prius can't be expected to compete against that level of suspension sophistication. Then again, my Benz doesn't get 50+mpg, have amazing bluetooth, a backup camera, or SmartKey.

I think Touring is worth the money, at a cost of slightly higher road noise/vibration. Very slight.

Several dealers both told me Toyota is planning to stop selling the touring edition and/or drop leather as an interior option. That doesn't make sense to me, but the story has been pretty consistent.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryanmsi @ Oct 23 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]337211[/snapback]</div>
    Was this the same transaction that you were discussing in this post?

8. plantz

plantz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekygeek @ Oct 22 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]336537[/snapback]</div>
    I took the wheel covers off my 2005 because I wanted a sportier look. But a friend pointed out to me that there is another reason for the plastic wheel covers -- they add some protection for the wheels when scraping against a curb. A friend pointed this out to me. I would like to think that I don't scrape against curbs when I park, but the scratches on my plastic wheel covers prove otherwise.

My previous car (Ford Contour SE) had alloy wheels and no covers. Sure enough, the rims got scratched.

You might think that it doesn't matter because a scratched wheel cover looks as bad as a scratched wheel. But the plastic doesn't seem to scratch as easily and deeply as the alloy.

I came to realize that I did not buy the car to be sporty. I did that with my previous cars. Now that I've had the car for over a year, I doubt that I will ever go back to sporty cars. When I drive a regular car now, they just feel clunky to me.

So, bottom line, I _like_ the wheel covers now.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) From the photos of the Touring Prius I've seen online, the 16" wheels would look OK without the plastic cover *IF* a cap was available to cover the axle end. I'm told the alloy wheel is a 'gray-titanium' finish which would be fine with some paint colors. I preferred the 'covers OFF' on my 2004 Prius.

I reviewed the stock tires on the Touring Prius and they appear to be a significant upgrade from the Integreties. Bridgestone Turanza P195/55R16 86V - rated 149 MPH [Who could get a Prius to that speed?] - 70,000 mile prorated treadwear warranty, after 3-year Platinum warranty. In addition, they have a larger 'footprint' which should provide better traction in all conditions.

I believe the tires alone are well worth the extra $270 for the Touring edition - that's the net difference in MSRP after adding the Package #6, Option A0.

10. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]337608[/snapback]</div>

Yep - But I received the price on the car prior to talk of the warranty or maintenance, so they didn't "discount" the car and only because they knew they'd make it up on the warranty. I'll be getting a refund on the maintenance and warranty and going with Troy's $990 price.

11. cobra94563

cobra94563 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 21 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]336184[/snapback]</div>
    To the original poster,

If you are ordering fully loaded, $270 is not much and you get the wheels (look marginally nicer) and the extended spoiler...probably worth it.

We ordered the base model. We needed a commuter car, no frills, option #2. We just wanted the tax credit and carpool access(hoping still!). To move up the the touring was $2275, which is 10%additional. To us, the extras not worth that much - but everyone will value it differently and have a different need.

When we get to the first tire replacement, I plan to look for some take-offs from another toyota model to replace the base wheels.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryanmsi @ Oct 25 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]338134[/snapback]</div>
    Wise move. It is a pleasure to deal with Troy.

13. ProwessIntrepid

ProwessIntrepid New Member

I have an Touring black with tan arriving in December. Its a package 2 cause thats the only available in my area and all I need. When I price other cars in the $25k range, none have HID's, VSC, SKS, auto climate control, gets 50 or so mpg, all those airbages, traction control, backup camera, and so on. I don't think any car has all of the stuff the Prius has for the price. A package 2 Touring, at least in my opinion, has much more for the money then anything else. And I can't wait for someone to ask me what I drive and I can answer, "Prius.....Touring"

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmph. I can go and have gone "touring" perfectly happily in my
    little base-model unit, without all the bling and items that are
    in the habit of making unsolicited wireless data connections outside
    the perimeter of the vehicle without my asking.
    What a shuck.
    _H*

15. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would say first go to www.toyotausa.com and BUILD YOUR OWN for your zip code to see what option packages are avail in your area. Or look at the e-brochure too also goes by zip code.
    I ordered a silver Touring w/ navigation in the Northeast and it just came in BUT NO NAV ? Turns out
    Nav is not avail on the TOURING in the Northeast. And I noticed in Texas the Touring comes with ALL the options and the standard Prius has no options avail . SO GO FIGURE ? I guess Toyota figures us in the Northeast just sit in traffic jams all day anyway ? I was Hoping for a Touring but now I re-ordered a silver standard with Navigation. BUMMER
    So I would say decide what option package you want then go to toyota.com to see WHAT is available in your region . Or you waste 3 months wait time like I did :angry:

16. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(filiberti @ Oct 28 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]340079[/snapback]</div>
    That's really strange, since the Touring edition is apparently the "upmarket trim" level for the Prius. My 2007 Touring came with NAV and leather...otherwise, I would have bought the base and added Nav. I can say that having driven both the base and the Touring, I don't really notice the suspension changes. So unless you really want 16" wheels and HID headlights, stick with the base.

17. mrg

mrg Member

18. brettzki

brettzki New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 25 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]338071[/snapback]</div>
    There are "Center Caps" that go on your Trim Ring/Wheel Protectors ... these come off and snap onto the alloy wheel beneath. :D

19. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brett S. @ Nov 1 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]342117[/snapback]</div>
    I'm holding the hubcap from my new 07 touring in my hand, and see no way to remove the center cap. It looks like it is heat welding into the hubcap/

20. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I recently (last week) took delivery of my '07 Touring and love it to death... The dealer had me scheduled for some installation stuff (lojack) this last Tuesday so I had to take it back and leave it with them for a few hours. In the interim they gave me an '06 prius to drive around and the difference is noticeable but hard to describe. I guess the best way would be to say the Touring edition feels solid and more stable while the normal prius feels like my '00 ECHO.

I also noticed that the non-touring prius was easier to PnG as it did not lose mph quite as fast as my touring edition but this could be due to the break-in period. Touring has ~220Mi the rental had 8k. It could also be because of the wider tire size (195/55 on the touring) or the wheels being more open with no plastic cover on them.

Finally, the whale-tail spoiler looks great and really allows the touring model to be picked out on the freeway :)

I'd say it is "worth it" if you want a sportier look and feel to an already awesome vehicle.