1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Toyota Prius Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bettina, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Bettina

Bettina New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here it goes, I bought a 2007 Toyota Prius in May 2018 with 189,000 miles. I drove it and had to replace the 12-volt battery after 2 months. 2 months ago my dreaded red triangle came on (and other lights) and I brought it in to be refurbished and got a 12-month warranty on that.
    Then had to evacuate bc of Florence and went 530 miles north, and yep being that far away the red triangle, check engine light abs etc and 2 codes came up ( P3021, P0A80), finally came to the conclusion that I have to buy a refurbished battery from Green Beans ( great company came to the house, installed the refurb battery, got 5 years unlimited mileage $ 1549.00) battery is great but, it seems I don't have much power when I drive the car after stopping, ( and that happened before I got the battery from Green Beans) lets say at a stop sign, the car seems a little louder and don't know if I need a new muffler or a tune-up or both. If it is the muffler will I lose power at startup, probably yes since there could be a hole in the pipe. Any other suggestions why I don't have much power at startup? Asked the first guy for some reimbursement, was not too happy about that, but maybe he can do some work in exchange. Just trying to figure out what the problem could be :)

#1 Bettina, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. Bettina

Bettina New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    also not getting gas mileage as I used to !

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, sorry for your troubles!

you will have to start at the beginning. what are you using to read the codes?

what do you know about the maintenance history of the car?

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The BEST warranty is one you NEVER use.

You wasted money on two Frankenstein HV Batteries. $1699.70, you would have been able to purchase a NEW OEM HV Battery, which would have most likely given you 8-10years of trouble free operation. Read post #2 to learn more; New Owner/Member.....Have a couple questions | PriusChat

Lack of power with essentially all three HV Battery (original, "refurb #1", "refurb #2 Green Bean") is because your initial battery was terminal, and the other 2 are weak/dying. Refubs are assembled from modules that have some life left; essentially creme de la Crap! Remember, refubs are assembled from modules that are 9-14years old and getting older. Longevity is impossible w/ used/refurbished/remanufactured/reconditioned; wonders of marketing/adjectives to make us feel better buying something that is used.

You would not buy a used tire, expecting it to give you the same longevity as a new tire? The upside with a used tire, is you can physically see and measure the tread to guesstimate how much life is left. Unfortunately for people who like to rebuild themselves, all the testing can indicate the battery should be good, but oftentimes, they discover otherwise.

Reduced gas mileage is probably a combination of winter temps (colder temps adversely affect MPG) and the HV battery is weak/dying, which means the gas engine is doing more work b/c of the weak battery.

"Tune-up" would likely cause misfires, which could affect power. The spark plug change interval for the Prius is 12yr/120K miles. Assuming the previous owner(s) did the maintenance correctly, you aren't due till 240K miles. You can always pull the spark plugs to check on the condition.

Hole in exhaust, could affect power. You would definitely hear exhaust noise every time the gas engine is running. Pay a shop to inspect the exhaust pipe looking for a hole and hearing the exhaust leak.

Cut your losses. I would not have the 1st Frankstein rebuilder touch your car. Any yahoo can "rebuild" a HV Battery poorly, and sell it to the next unsuspecting victim, and include a "warranty."

Since you don't DIY, you should probably get another vehicle.