1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner/Member.....Have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Salstats, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Salstats

Salstats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I recently acquired a 2009 Toyota Prius that use to belong to the government. This Prius has a Green Gears Plug in conversion and does not seem to be functional (Plug-In). However, that is not the main issue. The car started throwing the red Triangle and check engine lights after a week of purchasing the Prius. The Prius still drives and averages 50+ mpg. I took the Prius to Toyota since the Prius only has 118k and is still under the 10 years of age (I am located in California) therefore, my Prius is still under warranty. The dealership was able to verify the codes and they where the typical P0A80 and some other P3000ish code which is also hybrid battery related. The issue I am having is getting the Prius warranted since the Prius has a Plug-In conversion. I escalated the case and they are going to do a more thorough inspection since they failed it visually.

In the meantime, I want to start finding alternatives just in case my Prius does not get warranted. I am located in North Tustin in California and would like to know if any of you know some well trusted hybrid shops that can fix my Prius? I am also under the impression that my hybrid battery is not in so bad of a shape. I feel that it can be reconditioned and saved based on my Torque Pro app module readings (they are all very close and only off by like .1 or .2) I will post screenshots of my Torque Pro readings in order to see if someone with knowledge on the topic knows if my hybrid battery has any hope. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pray, Toyota is generous and ignores (government) FLEET vehicles from being excluded. If they say NO, beg for Goodwill Gesture? Maybe you can get a new OEM HV batt installed for $1000-$2000?

Module swapping or getting a used/reconditioned/rebuilt/remanufactured HV Battery is NOT a reliable repair. Count on future failures/breakdowns.

If you plan to DIY, get Techstream. The toy OBD2 reader is limited in capabilities compared to Techstream.

Answer these questions, to help you figure out what you want to do:
    Which do you value more: saving money or time/reliability?
    How much free time do you have?
    Do you have ready access to a 2nd vehicle?
    What is your automotive mechanical DIY ability?
    Is this vehicle used for work: sales/delivery person/uber/lyft/doordash/podmates/etc
    Are others dependent on you for transportation (ie kids)?
    How much longer do you plan to keep the car?
    Do you have a long distance tow option?
    Factual information below that you may, or may not, find helpful:
    Member 2k1Toaster's company is a viable option for a new HV Battery (via kit), if you can NOT find a dealer to sell you the HV Battery at a price you deem reasonable. NewPriusBatteries

A new OEM HV battery is pricey, but it will likely give you 8-10+years of reliability. Cheapest online price for a genuine OEM HV Battery, from an actual dealer is $1699.70; Conicelli Toyota; a member recently acquired one for his daughter. You will still need to verify that a dealer will sell you the HV Battery, as not all dealers will do so. Don't forget, you should always call local dealers to see if they will beat or match the cheapest online dealer part price.

Amortize the cost over the likely life expectancy of 10years, then it might not be so expensive for you.
    $1699.70/10years = $169.97/year = $14.16/month = $3.54/week = $0.51/day
    Give-up 3 Starbucks latte a month, for the next 10years, you just paid for this HV Battery.

The car could be worth $zero. But, the HV Battery gives you flexibility . It can be transferred into a younger/lower mileage Gen2 (2004-2009), or into a Gen3 (2010-2015) via module swap (Gen2 modules into the Gen3 HV Battery case), and possibly into a Gen4 (module swap into Gen4 case). Also, you could sell this OEM HV Battery, recovering a fair amount of your expense, if a cost prohibitive auto accident or future repair bill occurs.

A used/rebuilt/remanufactured/reconditioned HV Battery is NOT a reliable repair. Very few good "rebuilds" exist b/c the Gen2 modules are 9-14 years, old and getting older.

Module swapping and used/rebuit/remanufacture/reconditioned HV Battery, count on future breakdowns.

If you need to pay for labor, you should contact Avi at Hybrid Fix (near USC),
    I would avoid H Heaven in Huntington Beach; Labor rates were higher than a dealer!

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go with a new factory battery, hopefully you can get some or all of it paid for. At 118k that car should go for a long time with a new battery

4. Salstats

Salstats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the replies. I spoke to Toyota yesterday and they denied my warranty claim because the Prius is modified. I do not want to do the job twice so I rather buy a new battery when time comes. As of right now I am able to erase the codes with my torque pro and drive the Prius anywhere from 400 to 800 miles until the lights come back on. I do have an extra car and plan on doing the install myself. I just need to buy a set of rubber gloves before doing the task. I will try and see if my local dealers will match the price posted above. I did see 2k1Toasters batteries but feel that for the price the OEM hybrid battery will be a better deal.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Salstats

Salstats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I also do plan on keeping the Prius for a long time since I drive 20k+ miles a year and my Camry is not cutting it (mpg).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The battery will leave you stranded one day soon. Hope its not on a freeway or someplace far from home.

High voltage electrician gloves?
    Kitchen dish washing/cleaning gloves are not proper. Get the proper glove Class too.
    What about a leather protective cover for the electrical glove? This is used to protect the rubber glove from getting cuts. Any cuts/damage to the rubber electrical glove means electricity could pass through the glove, make contact with you, and end you.​

How will you tighten the nuts/bolts? By "feel"?
    NEED two torque wrenches: 3/8in ft-lb range, 3/8in inch-lb range.
    Read Post #2; Real HV battery issue or is my CVT going bad? | PriusChat

Torque specs for the bolts/nuts?
    Get the factory service manual from Toyota's TIS (Technical Information System) via the 2-day subscription ($20). Comprehensive diagnostic trouble shooting tree listed for every code. Torque specs for all the various nuts/bolts.
    Toyota - New Subscription

How to convert CHM to PDF
    Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat

If you really want to be safe, there are also electrical socket and ratchets available.

#6 exstudent, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018