1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Toyota Prius traction control problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sandman64, May 17, 2020.

1. Sandman64

Sandman64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So when getting on the freeway my traction control light blinks on and off when going over 55. I’m not having traction problems but the light goes on and off. The car will drain the battery and sometimes limits my speed. But for the most part I can get up to 70 with the light blinking. Anyone know why this may be happening?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a rubbing brake. any trouble lights? are the tires and pressures all the same?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Typically a slight difference in circumference between the tires. The wheel speed sensors then give slightly different readings. The faster you go, the bigger the difference. Eventually it's large enough for the car to say "huh?".

Sure-fire way to find out is hook up Techstream and ask the traction control what's been on its mind lately.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. Sandman64

Sandman64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No other warning lights. I will check the brakes. They may be due for a change. Tire pressures are all the same. And I may have to see what’s going on with the computer.

5. tidesofthesky

tidesofthesky Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This was happening to me. Check your tire sizes. On my car the issue was a slightly different tire size on one wheel. All 4 need to be identical. One or two excessively worn tires might cause this as well. As mentioned above, for me, it was a tire circumference issue. Pretty much identical symptoms as you, except I didn't notice any issues with the battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Sandman64

Sandman64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So I double checked the tires and one tire was in fact a bit larger. Got a new set of tires and problem fixed. Thank you to all who offered inputs.

tidesofthesky and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure, glad it worked out simply

Sandman64 likes this.