1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Toyota Prius Transmission serviced with BG Products flush?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Dragster, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Prius Dragster

Prius Dragster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many thanks to bisco and raytheeagle for the remedial training on how to make a public post in this forum. Below is a private first-timer question I asked of these two -

Hello to all. I am new to this forum. I already own a 2001 Tundra 4WD and recently purchased a 2007 Prius with 112,500 miles. While I have some questions about several of the operating systems, my first question is with regard to transmission fluid changes. After purchasing my Prius, I researched the VIN in the Toyota Owners Service site and noted a BG transmission flush conducted at the 83,000 mile mark. Is this possible? Everything I read about the Prius transmission indicates it is serviced more as a traditional rear differential (fluid replacement-wise) than a traditional automatic transmission. Also, much emphasis appears to be put on using genuine Toyota lubricants and fluids, and the service I am referencing was conducted at a Toyota dealership in VA. BG services I have requested in the past have emphasized the use of a synthetic replacement fluid as opposed to conventional fluids. Not sure if this would have been the case here. Was the previous owner hood-winked regarding a BG service? Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks for the add. This forum is a wealth of information.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What? A dealership promoting or performing an unneeded service or product? Say it isn't so Joe, say it isn't so! :eek: :D (light hearted sarcasm)

According to some here (including me), it's about time/mileage for another change anyways so just do it correctly (Toyota fluid) and be done with the worry. To me, it's as easy as an oil change; just a need a long enough hose and funnel to reach the fill hole from above. Tip: loosen fill plug first before draining old fluid. Approx $35 if DIY

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All I can think, regarding possible contamination with BG product, is do a fluid change with Toyota ATF-WS. Raise and level the car, drain, fill till it starts coming back out of the fill hole. According to owner's manual, drain-and-fill spec is 3.8 (US) quarts. Check the condition of the drain fluid: if it's fishy looking, maybe do a repeat drain-and-fill in a few thousand miles, treat it as a flush. Otherwise, if the fluid looks clean, dub it done.

Prius Dragster likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My local dealer an Autoway is owned by an individual. He also owns a engine/transmission treatment product company. I can't remember the name of the product as I had never heard of it before but the service advisors were touting it and I would bet every car that comes in gets it. There was a bottle on all the SA desks.
    So pay attention when you get your car serviced at a dealer, they will try to load you up with crap like the previous owner of the OP's car.

Personally I wouldn't have any kind of flush done on a G2 trans.There's a little rubber seal in the oil pump galley thats had issues and a very fine filter that I would worry about disturbing. That filter cannot be replaced without a trans removal.

If you want 100% Synthetic G2 trans fluid try what I run Redline D6.
    D6 has been in my bought new 07 trans for 120,000 miles so far and gets perfect UOA's. The UOA's are in the G2 stickies. I have used Redline oil exclusively in all my cars for 30 years whenever I need a GL4 or 5 product.

Red Line Synthetic Oil. D6 ATF

I buy mine at Jegs free shipping.

#4 edthefox5, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Prius Dragster likes this.
  5. Prius Dragster

Prius Dragster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Follow-up - Checked into the local Toyota dealer here in Winchester (Malloy Toyota) and the service writer there indicated that they do offer BG cleansing products for Prius service, followed by genuine Toyota auto trans fluid for the refill. I will most likely take your advice regarding another remove/replace with the recommended Toyota auto trans fluid. Another thing he brought up - radiator coolant and inverter coolant recommended replacement at 100,000 miles, mine has 112,000. Are they ever at a loss for stuff to try to sell you? Anyway, engine coolant remove/replace is $185.00 and the inverter coolant remove/replace is the same price, for a total of about $390.00 out the door when all is said and done. Input????

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This car is very easy on the engine coolant and very hard on the Inverter coolant.

Best way to deal with the engine coolant is buy 3 gallons of Toyota LLC and then just dump the engine coolant rad. Fill it back up with LLC.
    Thats about half the coolant right there. Do that again in a few months. That really helps. It's really hard to get all the air out of a complete engine coolant change. Bad airlock very time consuming. I recommend you dont go there. Especially at the dealer.

The Inverter coolant should be changed. Thats super easy. Open the dump bolt under the car on the trans. Put the dump bolt back in. Fill up the reservoir with LLC. take the plastic cover off the rad you will see a bleed valve on the front of the inverter. Connect clear hose from that valve to the Inverter reservoir. Open valave make car ready keep filling it till you see no more bubbles. Close valve. 3 gallons should do it for both. Done this 3 times.

I usually do the Inverter and the trans fluid at the same time. Bolts are next to each other on the bottom of the trans..

Theirs hundreds of how too posts on the trans and Invert coolant change on this site. Use the search button up top.

Good luck.