1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 with 113k miles...need guidance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alicewave, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks:

I don't post here much, but mostly because I haven't had any issues with my 07 Prius which I bought new in CT in 2007. It has around 113k miles now. I'm in upstate NY where it was single digits on the weekend, and under 20 today. I turned my car on, everything looked fine, as I started to drive it, all the warning lights came on. By the time I got to a mechanic the VSC light and the light that has a full circle with ! inside it had gone off but those were illuminated for about 10 minutes of driving. After 2 restarts my remaining lights were the Check Engine, the Big red Triangle with the ! inside, and a red exclamation point in the upper left corner of the computer screen that shows the MPG and outside temp etc.

This mechanic ran the codes and came out and said "Yea you need a whole new hybrid battery, you're gonna have to take it to the dealer".

I feel like the mileage is awfully low to need this already. My friend has an 09 and and 145k miles hasn't had this prob. I know someone in Minnesota that went to 189k miles in her 07 and didn't have this issue.

So before I take it to the dealer, I need tips. Could this be anything else? The battery monitor on the screen still shows it going all the way up to full green.

I did have the misfortune of needing to drive over some super hard snow crust today. Is it possible that something is just jostled? I don't really have 3500+ or money for a new car right now, so any advice is so welcome. I already called Toyota and my warranty expired in 2017.

#1 Alicewave, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    years are harder than miles on a hybrid battery

take it to a dealer for confirmation, he may have been wrong. sometimes a low 12v will cause incorrect codes.
    you can get a new battery for $1,600. if your mech will install it

Alicewave likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some questions:
    • Is this your only car?
    • What did the mechanic read the codes with?
    • Was the mechanic familiar with hybrid technology?
    • Know any independent shops that might be able to give a second opinion?
    • How’s the mpg?
    I’d would get a second opinion prior to a large investment ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

4. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it’s my only car and I have a full time job and an 8 year old to tote around places. :(

I’m not sure what the mechanic read them with but I’m definitely not planning on going with his opinion alone.

I’m getting around 38 mpg running the heat all the time and where I live has very steep hills. Battery meter turns to full green about 3/4 of my way down the main hill I drive everyday.

I do have an independent place I like but they can’t look at it til Monday. Where I live is full of ice chunks and potholes, about 6 months ago check engine light came on after a pothole and my regular guy said it was negligible, but at that time I didn’t get the triangle or the ! On the computer screen.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, while your overall mileage is on the low side for a HV battery failure, the age of the vehicle, isn't. It is quite possible you do need a new HV battery.

HOWEVER...
    One mechanic simply running the codes and proclaiming that diagnosis, and telling you to take it to a dealership is NOT confirmation. Before I'd invest that much money into the problem, I'd want a second opinion.

As already said, it could be cheaper things.
    I hope so...best of luck.

6. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all, looks like I'll have to wait til Monday at least. *sigh*

7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So, you can still drive it?

Have you ever replaced the 12v (non hybrid) battery, If you have, how long ago? A weak 12v battery combined with cold weather can cause all kinds aof warning lights to go on. Replacing that one costs about $200.

A mechanic with proper equipment can clear the codes. If the big red triangle comes back on that would be a bad sign.

Alicewave likes this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If this is the first time the codes have come and it really is the HV battery, you can usually get a bit more life out of it before it is dead-dead. Right now it is on life support.

Avoid reverse. If you have to reverse to park or to get out of parking, reverse into the spot and then you can just start and drive forwards on the way out. Avoid flooring it. Try to run the heat more so that the engine doesn't shut off as much.

If you need a new battery you have 2 options to get new batteries. Either Toyota or me. Decide now if you want to keep the car and put money into it, or junk it and buy something else. Once you decide that, then you can figure out what you want to do to fix it or not.

9. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I can still drive it. Replaced the 12V a few years ago.

10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I'll have my regular guy check that when they run the codes tomorrow. -6F on wednesday.

12. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy your own code reader to confirm the battery is bad. Reset codes and wait for it to appear again once you pull the codes.

13. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    924600DD-99EC-4F61-AA79-C808E149B5BA.jpeg I drove the car yesterday no prob. Red triangle and check engine lights still on along with the red car with ! Light. Got the battery meter back to full green and backed in into my garage. This morning it was below zero and I see this again with the VSC and the circle with !. I drove to work, backed into work spot. Restarted the car and those two lights were gone again.

I’m having the codes run this afternoon will post the results, but some of these warnings are just coming on because of cold.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery meter changing like that usually means a bad cell or more

a good battery would never go to zero, never mind below

Landon51 likes this.
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a stress factor most Prius are never exposed to on a regular basis. The recommendation to use "B" to avoid sending so much electricity to the battery would have been helpful.

Odds are, the battery is worn out from a combination of that and age.

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Heat is the #1 killer. Mountains are #2.

My Prius also lives its life at about 8000ft above sea level and it goes down 1500ft+ every single time it leaves the house and back up later. It will charge to full green partway down the mountain, and this is hard on the battery.

john1701a likes this.
  17. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use B a lot on the hills. It saved my brakes big time. I was impressed to go the first 80k miles with no brakework needed. My car before that was a honda accord that needed brakes or rotors at least every 20k.

it's a 500-700 foot gain in any direction, but my daily commute is short, 4 miles down hill, 5-6 city lights and 2-3 miles uphill.The first 50k miles were mostly highway.

I bought the car new in 2007 when there was a nice tax credit and no sales tax in state of CT. Also got it on 0% financing. My plan was to hold out two more years pinching pennies, and get something a little bigger and keep the prius. I wasn't expecting the Hybrid battery to go already. I'm still waiting to hear back from my mechanic. I've also asked them to check underneath for rust damage to any major parts as this car has suffered it's whole life through salty northeast winters (but it does get regular baths) So pending diagnosis, I'm researching used Prii prices. Currently my best option locally is a 2015 with 71k miles on it for $14k. Fixing my '07 seems like a better way to go if it's structurally sound. *sigh*

18. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely. The 2015 Prius would depreciate about as much (or more) as the cost of 2K1Toaster's new battery kit in the first year that you would own it. Your 2007, worth very little in trade, would hardly depreciate at all and, with a new battery, could give you several more years of use.

Yaga1973, James1964 and Alicewave like this.
  19. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Tires (snow and all season) are probably worth more than this car as is, so... yea.
    Mechanic just called back and said the codes coming up are PO880 and CI378 (not sure if I got these right). So yes hybrid battery problem. They said my 12V is fine. Still waiting on undercarriage report.

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since the codes just popped up, you can most likely eek a month or two out of it so you can plan better. Get prepared financially and time wise. Get some help for the weekend or a loaner car just so there isn't stress if you can. It's better to take your time and be prepared than have to do an emergency repair. You need to do something but you have a little wiggle room most likely.

James1964 and Alicewave like this.