1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 with 113k miles...need guidance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alicewave, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I couldn’t get the car all the way up the hill to work. I turned it around and I’m at local Toyota’s mercy. They’re not even sure if they can fit in the diagnostic today, and now I am without a car. So much for taking it to Sayre. Edited to add the driver of the shuttle gave me hope that I could get Ithaca to match Sayre's price. Ithaca did come back and admit the warranty on dealer installed part is 3 years unlimited miles.

#61 Alicewave, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a pic of my beloved to garner "thoughts and prayers"

Prius Pic.jpg

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous, all the best!(y)

if you're finding a new oems at a dealer for $2,200. installed, and the battery is definitely the problem, go for it!

4. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a big if at this point. They know I can't get it to Sayre without a tow.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you drive it with someone following?

6. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It only goes like 22 mph on flat roads, eventually getting up to 30, but it wont do the hills and I'm not sure what the inclines are like getting there.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    back roads?

8. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See edit above, I'm just not sure it can handle the terrain and would take over 2 hours to get there at that speed. Maybe on a warmer day it would perform better, I don't know.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much for a tow?

in the old days, i would have tied a rope onto a friends bumper :p

Alicewave likes this.
  10. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure yet, first I want to see if I can talk Ithaca Toyota down to the $2300 price since I have the estimate from Sayre in writing.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good idea. have you spoken with your insurance co?

12. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have rental reimbursement but I have a 1k deductible so I'm not sure its even worth the phone call.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no tow coverage?

rental doesn't always have deductible

14. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I'll call and find out.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With the codes on, yes you are in turtle mode. Clear the codes and carry on. You can go months like that.

16. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you mean. The codes themselves are causing the slow drive? Can they clear them without doing any work?

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have a dead battery. The hybrid battery ECU throws codes saying "hey guys, this battery is shot. It can't take it anymore. Back off on the power". The rest of the car goes "ok, then. We'll keep you for essential operation only until you're fixed.". Then when you drive the car, all the power generated through the inverter is used by the MGs with little going into the battery. You won't go fast, you can't accelerate, but the battery is being protected just like it asked to be.

You as the human can make a decision. If you clear the codes, then the car has amnesia. Everything just works again. Woohoo! Except you know there is a serious problem in the car and you need to take care of it as soon as possible. As I previously mentioned that includes doing your best to prevent battery draining driving. This means no reversing or if you absolutely have to reverse, back into the spot and then drive straight out. When you start the car, go. Do not READY it and then sit around. You don't want to give the ECU time to look at the big battery and determine it's bad. You already know this. So start it and go. Stopped at traffic, keep the engine running if you can which may be as easy as requesting heat.

In the beginning (like you are at) you can just clear the codes and do nothing for usually months. But after you've done this for months and the codes come back, it gets harder and harder to keep the patient alive as you're abusing it.

But you are supposed to clear the codes and then make arrangements to fix things. You don't drive with the dash lit up, it won't work.

Alicewave likes this.
  18. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK...it's still at the dealership waiting for the diagnosis because my appt wasn't until tomorrow, can I ask them to clear the codes? Or is this something I can do myself? Sorry to sound like a NEWB but this is like the first real problem I've had that wasn't the 12V battery. This morning I did not let it warm up, as I do have an attached garage that stays significantly warmer than the outdoors. I couldn't get any heat out of it, and stopped at traffic lights I could see the engine turning on and off every few secs for no apparent reason. I don't want to drive it around for months before replacing the traction battery, just the 50 miles down to Pennsylvania.

19. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diagnosis from Ithaca Toyota came back confirming Hybrid battery needs replacement. They are asking $3670+tax and claiming that $2350 doesn't even cover the part. I sent them the quote from Sayre, they called back fairly quickly to say they will honor the $2350 price. PHEW! She should be purring again by tuesday. Thanks to everyone on this board for all the help!

Skibob and bisco like this.
  20. Alicewave

Alicewave Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to ask you guys, as I consider my next newer car, given my hilly terrain and short commute, is it worth going hybrid again? I have really loved everything about this car except for the ground clearance. Great deals on Prius Prime (I have some potential for charging with solar generated energy credit) but I was considering something more versatile like a Rav 4 or CrossTrek.

Also I would love any tips on improving the longevity of this new battery, as I plan to keep the car and not trade it in.