1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008,186k need cat converter, both O2 sensor replacement. Time for a new car? Need guidance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kyla, Jan 4, 2019.

1. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My question to you sir is where did you live? Cause I think in Cali they’re strict on cat converters.

2. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, yes, I live in Australia and they can sometimes spot check emissions if the EPA is having a blitz, but as long as there is a cat installed it passes those emission tests. The Prius has 2 cats and it only ever seems to be the front cat that has the problems. Over here an after market cat is around $120, so cheap as chips really so not worth punching the guts out and driving without it.

T1 Terry

3. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never worked on cats, but I have a couple questions borne from ignorance.
    1 if the front cast goes bad, could you use a second secondary cat to replace the first one?

2. Can you take an aftermarket cat out of its casing and replace the fouled cat in its casing? I know it's illegal; I'm just asking.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  4. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think you could take them apart without damaging it.

5. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unless you live in California or New York having the front one or both not very expensive. Legally anyways.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you please let everyone know which catalytic converter came up short and needing welding.

Either a direct link, brand or a part number would be great.

Thank you.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure. Got it from Rock Auto
    Brand was
    Bosal 0961692
    Was $313.00
    It's a complete one from down pipe to the muffler connection . So it should have been just bolt in.
    But the shop said it was an inch short or so... I did NOT see this myself they called me and asked what they should do...
    They cut the flange off and welded in a pipe between the new cat and pipe and the muffler side.

Personally this was dumb.. they should have left the flanges on both pipes and put the new piece in before or after the flanges

But it works... And the code for cat below threshold went away.

I believe this model cat.. it NOT legal in California... if your car has California emmisions. Though I got no idea why.. if the car sensor say it's working... Who cares.

SFO likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recently purchased the cat portion of a Gen 2 exhaust for ~$130 off ebay. It included everything from the Exhaust manifold flange, (including a cheap donut gasket and 2 new spring fasteners), to the pipe located between the 2nd cat and the muffler. That section of pipe is probably about a foot long or so. The new pipe ended right about where the old muffler starts. The pipe was supposed to have the last few inches expanded, so you can cut the OEM pipe a few inches before the muffler, and have the new one just slip over it. Kit comes with U style exhaust clamps. Unfortunately, the pipe on mine failed to have the exhaust pipe expanded at the end. No slip fit for me, lol. I sent a message to the seller about it, waiting to hear back. Need to buy 2 more, but waiting for their response. I can probably work around it or just take it to a muffler shop to have them expand it for me.

#29 TMR-JWAP, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  10. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe you can just heat it.

11. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    any local mom and pop exhaust shop can just weld it for you.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Heck, I can weld it if needed, but that's not the point. I purchased a direct replacement that is supposed to be slip fit, because I didn't feel like welding it under the car, where I could have both end flanges mounted to ensure proper alignment. I hate welding exhaust pipes out of the car because fitment and alignment are crucial to ensure the flange bolt holes line up.

And to top it off, heard back from seller. He wanted VIN and photos of the pipe. So, headed out to shop to get photos and during the photoshoot, noticed the word "FLOW" and a bunch of arrows showing which direction the exhaust should be flowing......guess what?...Cat is welded into he pipe backwards, unless of course, my car is so awesome that reverses the process and it turns outside air, exhaust and water vapor into gasoline.

IMG_3035.JPG

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m sure under heavy load you’d never know the difference :rolleyes:.

Appears the seller is a winner(y).

SFO likes this.
  14. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm of the same opinion here: if the car doesn't have to pass emissions, then is there any good reason to fix it? Assuming it goes bad due to the engine burning oil, it will just go bad again in semi-short order.