1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 90K service items?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by emosborn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. emosborn

emosborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2008 Prius has about 88,500 miles on it and I am about to do a big move where I'll driving about 1,500 miles. Because of this, I'm planning on getting my 90k service done now with my trusted independent mechanic who specializes in Toyotas and charges fair prices. I'm interested in taking great care of this car in order to make it last as long as possible. Here's a list of the items that it seems should be done at this point (based on past maintenance done).

Transmission fluid drain & refill
    Rear wiper blade replacement (needs to be done)
    Drive belt replacement
    Throttle body cleaning
    PCV valve replacement
    Brake fluid service?
    12V Battery Test
    HV battery fan service??? (I don't have any dogs or kids, so I'm not sure I need this one, but I am moving from a 150,000 mile warranty state to a 100,000 mile warranty state)

Let me know if this looks right to you. I already had the oil and engine oil filter changed at 87,000 miles along with the cabin air filter.

I'd also appreciate if I could get what you think a reasonable price for these items is--I'm not a DIYer. I'd love to be, but I don't have that kind of time.

My car currently gets 40 mpg on average, which is pretty low for a Prius and I live in a warm climate. I'm thinking that cleaning the throttle body and replacing the PCV valve will hopefully help with my mileage.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    looks good, engine air filter?
    tires pressure.

3. emosborn

emosborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My mechanic says it doesn't need to be changed and tire pressure is included with the service, but those were helpful recs.

Ended up going with a transmission fluid drain & refill, throttle body cleaning, rear wiper blade replacement, and he put a trailer hitch on my car for me.

All for about $221

Does that price sound standard or too high? My mechanic is an independent but uses genuine Toyota parts and is a certified Toyota mechanic. His labor is about $30 less than the dealership, and he's incredibly meticulous and honest.

He quoted me $150 for the transmission fluid service, which I thought was too high. And then $65 for the rear wiper blade, throttle body cleaning, and putting the hitch on my car--which I thought was a good price for those service items.

I decided to just eat the transmission fluid service cost, because he did me a solid in other departments.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you made a good decision. while the tranny should be a hundred bucks, the other items seem way too cheap.
    how long to install the hitch?