1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 alarm help - catalytic converter theft

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 08isgreat, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 08isgreat

08isgreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't found this so apologies if it's been covered.

The catalytic converter was recently stolen from my 2008, and with what I've learned about early-generation Priuses being targeted for this I'm really afraid of it happening again.

I can't afford a cat lock right now, so my initial plan is to get some red high-temperature paint and try to paint the word "stolen"on it where it can be seen before cutting it off. Kind of lame, but who wants to show up with stolen goods that are labeled as such...

Car's still at the shop, but I'm wondering if I could assume that I have a factory alarm if I have a panic button on the fob (which works).

If so:

-Is the alarm set by just locking the doors with the door button (which I usually do because I keep the smart key packed away in my purse), or do I have to push the fob lock button one or more times? (My rental locks with one click and honks with 2, I assume setting the alarm.)

-Would the alarm by default sense a saw cutting through my exhaust pipe?

-Can the factory alarm be set to be more sensitive to vibration? I've seen this recommendation.

I really know nothing about car alarms. I'm not nuts about my local dealership so I'm hoping to gain some knowledge here.

Thanks!

Glee217 likes this.
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    unfortunately, the scum that buy stolen cats know they're stolen, so even if it was engraved, they'd still buy it and never tell the police. someone did install an expanded metal screen under their cat, and the extra effort to get to the cat may actually get thieves to look elsewhere. you may need to get a motion sensor alarm for it to go off when the car is jacked up. the factory alarm only goes off if a door or the hood is opened.

SFO likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. And the rest of the questions are moot.

4. 08isgreat

08isgreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct - maybe not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the info :)

5. 08isgreat

08isgreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was afraid of that - paint was one of the few things I could do myself. I did see a pretty decent picture of what I think you're about, but I'm just some chick with an old Prius - I can operate a drill but really wouldn't have a clue what not to screw into. It doesn't sound like there's a cheap/easy answer. People really suck!

6. 08isgreat

08isgreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Talking about, that is. I don't know if I can edit

Also, thanks for your help!

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, you can edit your own posts.......for a while after it is first posted.

Then.....I hate to suggest this because I do NOT believe it is the "right" thing to do but...............
    If you live where emissions testing is not mandatory, you might be able to have a "cat bypass" pipe installed.
    Even if that is an option where you are, not all shops will do it.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry your cat got jacked!

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about this that's cost effective.

Yeah...putting a $1,000 alarm system might sorta help, but people generally ignore alarm systems due to false alarms.....which you yourself will generally grow tired of listening to.

I'll save you some time and effort with the red paint.
    Even if you get high-temp paint that doesn't burn off when your cat heats up - anybody who would crawl under a car to steal a catalytic converter isn't going to be dissuaded by a "STOLEN" label.

I often joke that a solar powered fence energizer might help - and indeed it might, but you hafta be careful using stuff like that in town.....and as is often the case, the law is going to be tilted away from from the property crime victim if some miscreant gets zapped and goes crying to to a lawyer.

In the end?
    You're either going to have to use basic counter-terror techniques and make your car a harder target than somebody else's car or rely on herd protection and the fact that you've already been hit once.

9. Armando2113

Armando2113 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can you help I'm trying to install 504d on my 2d gen 2007 prius I hook it up but the thing doesn't set off alarm it shows it triggers but no alarm