1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 base system upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HSDP, Jan 8, 2008.

1. HSDP

HSDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK, I have spent 3 hours searching now, and either I am bad at it or there isn't a lot of info with pics on this. I am hoping someone kind will help me or point me in the right direction. I have an 08 with the basic single disc stereo and need to do an update.

From what I have gathered, F&R are 6.5" but crutchfield states it is not an exact fit... is this true? does anyone here make plates?

I plan not to add too much weight to the car. I am axing the subwoofer for space/weight/current draw reasons. I want to have a good front setup. Rear can be fill for all I care. I am thinking of a strong 2-channel amp (prefer one that fits under the seat), a set of good 6.5" seperates, some dynamat, and an ipod adaptor. I think I will be happy with bass of a 6.5" in a well treated door and a real amp behind it.

Questions:

1) Is there an adaptor plate that works or do I need to make one for 6.5"?
    2) Where can I access the factory tweeter wires for the X-over on the non-JBL system, and what can I fit in there (or should I not even bother if it is too cramped)?
    3) Where is a good source for power on the amp? Do I need to go through the firewall?
    4) what ipod link works (to have control from MFD) for the 08? So far eveything I have checked is iffy for the 08. This is my last concern, my main concern is upgrading the system.

Thanks guys. BTW I am well versed in electronics, I just don't know a lot about the Prius. Why are there so few pictures of installs?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1) I have no experience with manufactured speaker adapters. Basically, I just used some 3/4" MDF and made my own adapters using the stock ones as a template. The stock ones were bolted into the door, so I had to drill them out before I could replace them.

2)The factory tweeter signal is wired the woofer, and it is x-over'd with a capacitor

3+4) I do not know. Hopefully someone can chime in on that.

There are a few other installations here. A good handful of people have upgraded their sound systems with new amps/speakers, subwoofer, carputers, etc... Have a look through the Audio/Video Forum and also the Modifications Forum. There's pictures, but I don't think there's a compilation of installs anywhere.

3. HSDP

HSDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. I was hoping to avoid making plates. I am surprised no vendor here sells an adaptor plate. If the tweet wire is already at the woofer then I will just install the X-Over in the door and seal it up.

Are there any preouts/adaptors for preouts on the factory non-JBL?

I had the JBL in my 06. I was not too impressed. The drivers look terrific, but the system is sooooo anemic!

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used these adaptors for my JL 6.5". Work great.

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/151/sfID2/174/sfID3/181/listPage/2/productID/870

The only concern is the depth of the magnet may cause the front window glass to hit the speaker when rolled down. My solution was to apply about a cm of modeling clay around the rim of the template. Problem solved. Easy as pie.

Like Presto said, you have to drill out the entire speaker assembly to remove the stock speakers.

BTW, where did you get that avatar? I posted a picture like that on here once....

5. HSDP

HSDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, what did you use for speakers and where did you get the adaptor? direct from schoshe? I can't believe I have to drill to get the stock ones out. The avatar... lol... I did a google search for "eco friendly car" and that came up. I thought it was great. :D

Did you use any dynamat? how is your upgrade sound-wise now?

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The woofers for my Diamond Audio D6s are mounted in the stock plastic housings in the front doors. No rings, no adapters.

I think I'd still run power from the battery in the trunk to the amp(s), even if they were under the passenger seat rather than under the hatch as they are now. Should be easy to pull the wire from the trunk and through the door sills. That's how my speaker wires are run (from the JBL amp to the CleanSweep, and then from the MTX amp back to the stock speaker wires).

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PriusChat Member "DocVijay" did a great write up on making the trim rings.
    Go to his website at: 2006 Prius Hybrid Mods
    There are good install pics there, but the doco on trim rings is buried deeper at:
    Woofer Baffles for Doors

The factory wires for the fronts have full range signal running to both the woofer & tweeter...it's just that the tweeter has a small capacitor on it to block the bass frequencies. I took the wires going into the tweets and fed them as input to my components passive crossover....then I ran aftermarket wires out to the new woofers & tweets.

Pull the power for the amp from the 12V battery in the right rear corner.

I used a Scosche SLC-4 line-out-converter for a while and it worked great (no noise), but eventually I upgraded to an Audio Control Three.1 as my pre-amp.

I have no first hand knowledge of the iPod adapters, but check out the Dice, Vais Tech, and Coastal Electronics offerings....not sure about '08 compatibility, but it sounds like not much has changed since '06 with the base stereo.

Hope this helps....Cheers!

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got the adaptors from the link I posted.

I used Damplifier from Secondskin instead. A much better value and the quality is as good, if not better in many respects, than Dynamat which is, IMO, way overpriced. I got 80sqf of Damplifier for half the price of Dynamat. Check out the Secondskin website for more info.

My upgrade was along the same line as Doc Vijay's, except I also have a Kenwood self-powered sub under the driver's seat. The Cleansweep units are a bit pricey, but the results are outstanding. For a less expensive alternative, search for banjoman's hack.

Just tonight I cranked up "Come Together" to test out my new Sansa MP3 player, and couldn't be more surprised by how clean and tight everything came out. (BTW, I plug my MP3 into the Cleansweep instead of the Aux input because for some reason it sounds much better that way).

Of course, with Damplifier everywhere (even on the roof), the car is a whole quieter and the speakers and sub really come alive.

9. BubbaVO

BubbaVO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HSDP - How did you make out?

I've got the same set up. I drove home and the first thing I told my wife was , the stereo su*&s. So I ended up contacting Crutchfield. Here's what I got:

Polk Audio db5251 5-1/4" Component System - I know they handle 6.5 but the rep basically told me to watch out for the height of the speaker in relation to how the stock one is mounted so this would be an easier fit (circuit city indicated the polks at 6.5 were fine) and that since I was installing other goodies I could rely on the tweeter and the smaller woofer for the highs.

Kenwood KSC-SW1 150W Compact Powered Subwoofer - will put this under the passenger seat - seems like it will be able to move a lot of air

EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge w/Patch Cord - seems like 4 gauge is way more than necessary

Blaupunkt THA475 75W x 4 Car Amplifier - seemed like a good compromise since I'm not looking for bust da windows sound, but a really clean and good sounding system

StreetWires FB8 8-ga. Firewall Bushing

StreetWires UCT14 per foot 14 gauge Blue/Copper Speaker Wire

Posi-Products Connector Kit 6 pieces Posi-Tap Assortment

Anything I should look out for when trying to install all this stuff?

10. HSDP

HSDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't done anything yet. Its funny you mention crutchfield because when I talked to them, they gave me a very strong warning against using any sort of high current amp in the Prius. They said it is draining on the car and that it will even affect the synergy drive system. Honestly the guy did sound like he knew a lot, and talked in detail about the Prius they had tested at crutchfield. He steered me towards small powered subs, specificaly Bazookas, because they had class D amps and very little current draw. He recommended a speaker upgrade, but running off the stock radio.

I didn't know what to make of it all. Obviously anytime you tax a car's electrical system the alternator has to make up for it. Energy comes from some place, in this case, eventualy, gasoline. But I think the effect may have been a bit overblown. Although I am weary of any sort of high powered amplifier, especially a class A/B amp, I think that a smaller class D amp should be OK. They are light, small, and very efficient. I just can't find anything with modest power and cost. The Alpines are very nice but waaay too much for what I am looking for.

In the meantime the more I listen to the stock radio, the more I think it sucks. As bad as I thought the JBL was in my previous prius, it was a world better than this one. The midrange especially is horrible. It is very fatiguing on my ears.

11. HSDP

HSDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looking at your system it looks like they sold you a lot of wire and wire products. I also am not really sure about that "subwoofer" that goes under the seat. I think it is probably a very mild upgrade, but looking at the system I think more should go into the subwoofer department, and less into the speaker amp. 75x4 is a lot for a set of 5.25 in speakers in a modest system. Especially for rear speakers.

Not trying to knock it in any way, just my opinion. Let me know how it turns out for you please.

12. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put in the infinity 6020 reference in front- kenwood sw10 the latest version of the amped sub in the back, try some coax in the rear door, you can get power from the 12 v battery in the rr corner- lift up the carpet- take out the compartment either way you can view the battery. it has a small tray over it that will come out even w most of the rest of the stuff in place.
    As others did I drilled through the right side if the compartment to run the wires and left myself some extra to allow spare access.

additionally I ran the sub control up the right side and poked it through one of the carpet holes under the pass seat in case I wanted to fuss w the base.

I am going w an amp in the compt. as well when it comes in.

Dynamat or similar will help the sound as well as quiet the car on the road.
    Takes alot of time but 90% + say it is worth it.

I did my doors then the spare tire area then the RR ctr panel- all helped some as I went but when I finished the left side I was amazed at how much more it helped the sound.

I think Frys.com even has the infinity speaks for a better price than crutch.

Steve

13. Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would be grateful to anyone willing to offer an amp recommendation for my '08 Prius. It will be powering a Polk 5.25 component set in the front doors, which I've read perform best when fed 100w. I had considered using this amp Profile AP600 2-channel car amplifier 100 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com but comments in this thread about class A/AB amps have me concerned.

14. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

The Prius power system is far better than any vehicle with an alternator. I think we have 1 or 2 people running 1000 watts, with no reported problems with dimming. I'm running, about 600 watts, currently.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, I've only noticed dimming domelights once and my aux battery was pretty drawn down at the time. After a recharge and normal driving I've never had a dimming issue again. I currently run a 1500 watt Diamond Audio D6 amplifier (4x40amp fuses). I have never seen the headlights dim during heavy bass notes yet.

16. hometech99

hometech99 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    aw man- that system system gives me the car stereo "itch." Ive installed for fun since 1978- but time is limited- thats why I am looking at the package #4.

what does package #2 have for space to put a radio?

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO don't bother with the upgraded JBL package. Get the base model stereo and upgrade it. You'll end up with much better sound quality and features for less money.

I feel the base model speakers sound fine for normal use. Upgrade the deck and install it into the little compartment below the stock unit and you'll make a huge improvment in sound. Get a deck that has high pass filters built in to get rid of the low bass signle going to your midranges and you'll clean up the sound.

Then simply run an RCA from the deck to the rear of the car and install a subwoofer amplifier. The auxilary battery is already in the rear of the car so you don't have to run power wire through the firewall which makes install a snap. I think the Prius was designed for aftermarket stereo installs. ;)

Seriously, the stock speakers work well with a simple deck and subwoofer upgrade. Enoguh so that I have not bothered to install new speakers or another amp yet. :D

18. pharmbob

pharmbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,
    I have a 2008 Touring with pkg #2, base stereo as well. I would like to know if I can install an aftermarket, in dash dvd player with integrated navigation? Is this a 1 DIN or 2 DIN, or something else opening?

19. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Something else, good luck with that.

20. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's barely a 1 DIN unit. It may require drilling some holes if they don't line up with the aftermarket headunit.