1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 blower motor intermittent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tuckerworth, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Tuckerworth

Tuckerworth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been having an intermittent blower in the cabin and decided to bring the car into the dealer to have the car looked at. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious. The dealer told me that there was a short in the blower motor and that it would cost $500.00 to fix. After doing some research this appears to be a VERY common problem on the prius as well as issues with the car door lock system.

I'm guessing the dealer isn't going to do anything other than replace the blower motor so I ordered a replacement online for 45 bucks and will be able to do it myself in 30 minutes. When I took the thing apart and looked at it, it was a bit dirty but seemed to spin just fine. I have a problem with them saying its a short when it works sometimes and even when the motor isn't spinning you can still hear the noise going like it should be spinning. It seems to me like some kind of electrical issue. Anyone else have experience with these blower motors going and did you just keep replacing it as necessary?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This sort of sounds like a mtr. problem. Also sounds like who-ever owned the car did not change the filter often enough?[Climate control filter] . H

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is a common problem with the Prius heater fan. More often than not it is one or both of the carbon brushes stuck in there housing.

A blast of compressed air into the motor will often free them, although I have had to dismantle them in the past and give the sides a quick rub on a fine file to make them slide easily. Do not lubricate them with anything but a spot of lubricant on the motor bearings is in order.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that should be open, which is what the stuck brushes problem represents, and sounds like the right diagnosis. That's the opposite of a short circuit, which would cause fuses to be blown. I would hesitate to get service from a place that didn't know the difference between an open circuit and a short circuit.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The term shorted is often used by someone that has not got a clue what the are talking about electrically and as you correctly pointed out would result in the minimum of a blown fuse and possibly smoke or burning.

+1 for not going there again.

6. Tuckerworth

Tuckerworth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can spin the fan around just fine when I take the motor/fan off the vehicle. You're saying I should disassemble the motor itself and lubricate the bearings? I haven't ever taken apart a blower motor but I can get pretty easy access to it and figured replacing it with a new one should solve the problem.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you have fitted the new one have a look at the one you have taken out. They are very simple, the only moving part is the armature. The armature is supplied with electricity by two spring loaded pieces of hard carbon these stick in there small brass housings (they should slide freely). Around the armature is a strong permanent magnet.

When you think you have repaired it connect it across a car battery and it should run (changing round the connections will reverse the direction of rotation).

8. Christopher Gilley

Christopher Gilley New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2007 Prius Touring with 265,000 miles. This week, and the hottest week all year it seems, my air stopped blowing as nice as it has before. Having a 20mth old pup/bff with me 24/7 since my g-friend passed away of cancer, my car runs all day for the AC. Yesterday when it was cooler, I took the fan out (10min), seen worn carbon brushes resembled nubs and was clogged with carbon debris. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner with lube (electronics or electrical supply). Bought me a few days & I have air today with this 100 degree heat! Will find carbon brushes locally or order, but it's nothing to stress over or have to make my dog spend a day with elevated anxiety because he's home alone!

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)