1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 CEL code p1121+drag

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nightflyer87, Mar 13, 2015.

1. nightflyer87

nightflyer87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, I've read through several of the most recent posts on this code, so I know it's mostly harmless and I've already had it come on for a couple of days before going right back off. I've had my '08 Prius for about 2 years now. My mom gave me hers when my Ford was deteriorating faster than I could get it fixed. This is the first problem I've had with it in that time. The first time the code popped up was the day after I accidentally overfilled the gas tank. The auto shut-off at the pump kept cutting off every half gallon once it got around 3/4 full. CEL came on with code p1121 and before I could make an appointment to get it checked, it went off. No codes or lights for a month. About 2 weeks ago, someone backed into me as I was driving through the parking lot at work. The insurance company told me to take it to either Service King or a Chevy dealership, so I chose the dealership as I've had issues with SK in the past. Just before dropping it off, I filled the tank as it was nearly empty and I didn't want them giving it back with an empty tank. The pump was apparently broken and the auto shut-off didn't work. It just kept pumping until I noticed gas pouring down the side of the car. I shut it off and ran inside to tell the station attendants and then went on my way to drop off my car for repair.

Yesterday, I picked it up. I could immediately tell something was wrong when I started it. The gas engine usually kicks on after a couple seconds to warm everything up, but it took about a minute. I started to drive off and it was like I was dragging or pushing something. I've had engines bog down before, but that was usually a throttle issue (thank you, Ford) or burnt out heads and a busted timing chain (again, Ford). The light came on as soon as I got home, so I pulled the code and I got p1121 again. I didn't see any others. Could the 2 issues be related or is this 2 issues at once and I'm only getting one code?

#1 nightflyer87, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P1121 relates to the engine coolant valve being stuck. The impact of that problem is that the cabin heater might not work very well and the engine might take slightly longer to warm up than normal. That valve has nothing to do with the driveability issues you noticed.

What are you using to retrieve diagnostic trouble codes? If you are not using Mini VCI then you may not be aware of all codes that are being logged by the numerous Prius electronic control units.

What was the seriousness of the accident that your car suffered? Was any damage caused to an axle, a wheel, any part of the drivetrain, etc.?

It seems that you experienced two separate incidents where the fuel tank was overfilled, is that correct? I suggest you find gasoline stations that have better-functioning pumps and at minimum pay attention to the number of miles driven since the last fill-up, noting the mpg logged during that period. That will give you a clue about how many gallons the car has consumed and therefore the amount of fuel that you should pump.

#2 Patrick Wong, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Capacity of the tank (bladder) is 11.9 gallons. With one bar on the gas meter, historically, I have only been able to get in 9 gallons. With five bars on the gas meter (half tank), 5 gallons.

Check the hatch hinge area. A crack up there might have possibly been created or worsened, due to the person backing into you. Even if this person had never backed into you, cracks near the hinge unfortunately is something that occurs and to be aware of. This thread has two nice pictures that shows how and where water for a lot of people has entered. Water filling driver side floor pan. | PriusChat