1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 election

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by huskers, Aug 24, 2006.

1. triphop

triphop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 3 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]313759[/snapback]</div>
    Its happened before. I never understood the hatred for liberals - its like the marxists hate liberals & so do the fascists. Its not always a comfortable place to be.

/ Notice US assissinations - almost always the right-wing extremists shoots the liberal Pol. Except, in Reagans case, then it was just a garden-variety nutjob.

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda sucks to believe in "Live and let live," huh?

3. triphop

triphop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 3 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]313768[/snapback]</div>
    I make sure that I have my gun loaded. This is one lefty who ain't going quietly. :lol:

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(triphop @ Sep 3 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]313772[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, there th...in case you hadn't noticed...I do NOTHING quietly! B) BUT, my parents moved us to Canada in 1968 because they didn't want to vote for Humphrey OR Nixon...and what scares ME is I'd vote for NIXON in a heartbeat, if it came down to a choice between him and dubya. We all came back eventually. Them in '78 and me in '79. NOW my parents split their time between London and LA. I have my room in London staked out for while I figure out where else to go.

The way our "rights" have been whittled down lately (can you say "The Patriot Act?" "Illegal Wiretapping?)--never mind the bannered headline "terrorist plot foiled in Britain," with "terrorists" who were going to blow up transatlantic planes with NO passports--I am researching other places to live. Having lived in three countries and visited many others, I am keeping all options open. I am NOT waiting for my passport to be cancelled. Hell yeah, I'll bail before I volunteer to become a lampshade. The lessons of the past are NOT lost on THIS lefty.

(Silence follows after the Department of Homeland Security comes and takes her away...)

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

This conversation is scaring me. Even more than the Shining.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 3 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]313810[/snapback]</div>
    The THOUGHTS have been scaring me since '04 and before. I REALLY want to know if anyone else has plans for getting out. REALLY. Just because I am paranoid, does it mean they are NOT out to get me?

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 3 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]313759[/snapback]</div>
    Oh please, how ridiculous. You really need to get a reality check, and quit listening to the lunatic fringe. Paranoia is a mental disease, and continually agreeing with this kind of fever-swamp madness makes you appear paranoid.

That didn't happen with Clinton (even though some looney Republicans were stating it was going to) and it won't happen with President Bush.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 4 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]313822[/snapback]</div>
    My sis & I & our families have been discussing it for the past year or two. We don't have much hope of the Dems taking office regardless of how the public votes. If the current trend continues, we won't stay. Seriously.

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 3 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]313830[/snapback]</div>
    I am not sure whether to thank you for validating my beliefs or to start packing faster. It's the "regardless of how the public votes" part that has me so concerned. And check my last post on the subject of "paranoia." fsh, you are fine here. My family and I are NOT. Erosion of civil liberties happened in Germany in the 30s. MANY people said, "It will not affect me." MANY of them waited too long to get out. That is not going to happen to me and my family. Paranoia? Maybe. Do I want to be the test case? Hell no. Unlike some, I HAVE learned from history.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 4 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]313823[/snapback]</div>
    None of us could have dreamed how far afield the country would be taken in the past 6 years. If they retain power, what makes you think it won't get worse? Ok not literally the arm band thing, but already we've lost our 1st and 4th amendment protections. This is not the country I grew up in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 4 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]313832[/snapback]</div>
    Did you read "Night"? Scary scary scary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 4 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]313832[/snapback]</div>
    The 2006 elections will be the indicator. That's our thinking. We all renewed our passports this summer. Every one of us. You're the first other person I've heard with these same thoughts.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Man, reading this I could only think "There were some things even Nixon wouldn't do."

Reminds me of the joke about labs using Lawyers for their experiments. When asked why they said "Well, there are some things even rats won't do."

Yeah, the good ol' Nixon days.

The Republicans don't need to suspend the 2008 election. They'll just do what they've always done. Swiftboat and throw money. The have an endless supply of money from corporations, hence my reference to our country becoming a fascist state since fascism should more properly be called corporatism. The K St Republicans have honed their skills so well they can simply buy an election. They'll do it in 2008, then in 2012 and eventually the country will forget what it was like to have a two party system, be a true Republic. We'll go the way of Rome.

One can only hope, but I'm a pessimist. The majority of the public will vote their incumbants back into office, no matter what. If Tom De Lay were running, I have no doubt he'd win again. If the public wanted to send a message, they vote every incumbant out and vote for any candidate that was NOT a Republican or Democrat. We'd suddenly have Libertarians, Independants, Green party candidates in congress.

But that isn't going to happen. It's going to be same old, same old.

Anyone want to take my bet?

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 3 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]313833[/snapback]</div>
    Promises Promises just another load of [attachmentid=4828][attachmentid=4827][attachmentid=4828] from the left.

Everytime I remember I [attachmentid=4829] pray; Please, please, please Dear God let it be Hillary as demoncratic nominee in 08'. However not my will but yours. Amen!

Wildkow

Attached Files:

• bs.gif
      bs.gif
      File size:
      2.2 KB
      Views:
    • pray.gif
      pray.gif
      File size:
      157 bytes
      Views:
  13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 3 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]313721[/snapback]</div>
    Why is it Democrats have to be moderate but Republicans can be NeoCon hard rightwingers?

I think the Democrats have to stop looking at "culivating an image that appeals to the voters" and just "be themselves". This is why I would outlaw polling. Run the best candidate. Not some mealy mouth whimp that is so wishy washy they don't offend anyone. You can't please everyone. And that is what the Democrats have been doing, doing badly, and hence losing all this time.

Elections need to stop being about winning and start being about doing the right thing, being the right person.

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 3 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]313848[/snapback]</div>
    That's what the demoncrats have always done. Problem is that their moral compass is so whacked that what passes as right for them abhors the rest of society and come voting day they lose. [attachmentid=4830]

[attachmentid=4831]

Attached Files:

15. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Packing my bags NOW.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 3 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]313856[/snapback]</div>
    A quitter never wins and winner never quits! ;)

Wildkow

17. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 3 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]313860[/snapback]</div>
    A "quitter" never gets turned into a lampshade. I would call that a win.

18. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 3 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]313850[/snapback]</div>
    "moral compass" "abhors the rest of society" ...Wth are you talking about?!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 3 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]313848[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva, I agree with everything you've said, including the "same old, same old part" :(

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Sep 4 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]313871[/snapback]</div>
    ab·hor (b-hôr)
    tr.v. ab·horred, ab·hor·ring, ab·hors
    To regard with horror or loathing; detest: "The problem with Establishment Republicans is they abhor the unseemliness of a political brawl" Patrick J. Buchanan.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/abhors B)

Wildkow

20. triphop

triphop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 4 2006, 02:05 AM) [snapback]313846[/snapback]</div>
    Thats a great quote. It came from Mussolini originally. If you look at it like that, its quite clear the direction that things are moving in. Incidently there are quite a few conservatives who are "troubled" about the direction that things are going in. We are still dealing with a minority (~38) of the populace who still thinks that W is doing a "great job".
    Panum et Circe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Sep 4 2006, 03:09 AM) [snapback]313871[/snapback]</div>
    Just ignore him - he is the local troll. Got nothing to say except lob hand grenades around.

PS. He is an independant :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]