1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 fans will not turn on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wolf Cola, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Wolf Cola

Wolf Cola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 Prius, and the cabin fans will not turn on. I've tried fiddling around with all the AC settings and fan speeds, but I can't get to fans to work at all. Anyone else had an issue like this?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There have been posts here about the fan (there is only one) motor brushes becoming stuck, or the blower getting clogged due to the filter getting compromised. For instance:
    2005 Prius A/C has never worked right...Won't turn on sometimes... | PriusChat

It is not too hard to remove the blower and hook it up to a 12V source and confirm operation after lubing the brushes and checking for free rotation. Of course the fuse is the first place to look.

A 2008 would be rather early for this to happen, I would think.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you remove the cabin filter (behind the glove box) you can see the fan through the slot where the filter goes. Turn on the fan and spin the fan with your fingers if it starts to run the brushes are stuck, a light tap on the motor from underneath will have a much the same affect.

You can unplug the motor feed connector and check with a volt meter to see if the 12v supply is there, if not check the fuse is not blown though this would imply more of a problem ie jammed or seized motor, fault in wiring, or speed control ecu.