1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Gen 2 owner stumped by key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MrFixITsPrius, May 9, 2022.

1. MrFixITsPrius

MrFixITsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This past weekend I purchased an 08 Prius as a first car for my daughter. It came with only one key fob (with the silver Toyota logo). The seller said its battery was dead and that's why the key needed to be placed into the key slot in order to start the car, and why it's proximity features, and lock/unlock functionality weren't working. I replaced the 2032 battery, but to no avail. (Note that the car *does* have the black touch buttons on the driver, passenger and trunk doors. It also has the button directly below the steering column - and it is set it the *out* position.). I've done quite a bit of online reading and YouTube watching, and am stumped as to why my key fob isn't functioning properly? I'm looking for help on what to do to get it's *smart* features working properly for my daughter. Am I missing something? I've seen lots of content related to programming a new OEM key fob, but nothing about what to do in my situation. I'm hoping the info is out there and that I'm just missing it. Any and all help greatly appreciated. :)

2. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well if it was a dead battery then all the functionality would return once the battery powers up the SKS fob. I would pulled key out the fob and find out if the Key opens the driver's door. Secondly the SKS fob does have a magnetic keycode only for your Prius. So I feel the Keyfob does belong to your car.
    Also on the Fob is a small red light that comes on every time you hit any of the buttons. Is your red light coming on? It's on the upper right corner. Then you know unit cycling. Fob could be broken as well.

SM-A526U ?
    View attachment 226091

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like (one of) the previous owner(s) took the cheap way out when a new key fob was required – they bought a used SKS key fob and only linked the RFID code to the car.

Unfortunately for you, to get all the functions working it will require a delete and re-add of the current key. This can only be done by the dealer or an accredited auto locksmith as an authentication seed code is required. There may be another option for doing it yourself if you have access to a copy of Techstream that can access the immobilizer functions and you can obtain the required seed code. I believe there might be one or two threads with details of this process.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So now it's manual key only ? To unlock car to drive ? Boy I'd be happy . Personally. As a general rule I don't buy these for kids or car newbies. Old Yaris or Corolla First. For my sanity and peace. Never get Dad calls in those unless it's accident.