1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 HID Headlight Assembly Cap Replacement Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TysonGersh, Dec 23, 2021.

1. TysonGersh

TysonGersh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey Everyone, Longtime user of this site, but first time posting. Thanks for all the info you have provided to Prius owners everywhere.

I have a bit of a problem that I am desperate to solve tonight because if I can't I'm not gonna be able to drive my car to buy Christmas present for my family tomorrow.

The situation: basically a drunk driver totaled my car while it was parked in front of my house about a year ago and my very benevolent mechanic got it functioning again for free. I'm very grateful to him for doing this, but there's definitely some ongoing issues that I'm trying to fix.

Right now I am trying to install a new HID headlight assembly on the driver's side of my vehicle. The mechanic had originally put this in, but I got pulled over for every single light on my car being out the other night and I realized something was wrong. He replaced the lights, but the drivers side headlight still isn't working and the passenger side is flickering and turning off randomly. He said this was because the cap on the back of the light was bad and the ballast needed to be replaced. I replaced the ballast. Simple enough. I got a new cap directly from Toyota.

The question I have no is regarding the wired that connect directly to the cap itself. I dont know what it does. According to the Youtube (@ 2:25) video at the bottom the wire goes to the ballast? If seems like it very clearly goes to the gray circular thing right above the dust cap though.

I've got the wire that goes into the back of the cap - no problem there. However, the wire that appears to connect to the inside of the cap seems to be connected to a circular thing on the back of the light fixture itself. I can't tell if its packaging that was never removed or if its some aftermarket system that's designed to somehow bypasses the original toggle set up.

Photos below:

#1 TysonGersh, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  2. TysonGersh

TysonGersh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a screenshot from the YouTube video that shows what I think is the original layout of the wires

Attached Files:

3. TysonGersh

TysonGersh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just wanted to follow up on this post to let anyone who may come across it with a similar question know that I figured it out. Basically my mechanic threw away the wire that connects the ballast to the headlight cap. I was able to get a new one and everything is working perfectly. No need to change anything about any of the parts I had in the photos. Was simply missing a piece