1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 HiHy Tire Pressure?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by gbugler, May 23, 2008.

1. gbugler

gbugler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just picked up a 2008 HiHy Limited. Love it so far. Normal driving we are getting about 28-29mpg, mixed city and highway. I am pretty sure as we learn to drive it we get at least 33mpg out of it. My question is for those who have a HiHy what tire pressure are you running?

2. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have an 08 also - only about 1600 miles on it so far, not as great mileage as you are getting, avg is 27. I've been experimenting with the air pressure. I'm running about 90% of the sidewall printed maximum right now in the front and rear since I have the 4x4. It didn't change the ride much at all - least I can't tell that it did. With that (around 38psi), it runs up well over 42 to 44psi when hot (ignore the tire sensors - they are extremely inaccurate - use a good digital.)

Haven't noticed much difference in mpg yet - if I ever will. the temp climbed up here radically (northern virginia) which forces me to use the A/C and that drops the mpg to 25 so not sure I will be able to quantify results. At this weight - I would only suggest that you run the tires firm, but don't overinflate.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the Michelin Energy (?LX4?) tires on our HiHy and I keep them at 35psi...it's my wife's daily driver and I don't think she really wants me 'playing' too much with higher pressures.