1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 hv battery at purple and loss of power on acceleration and shaking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Boogie, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It all started when I noticed I had no power going through the hill's to work which normally would happen if I went up big hill cause the hv battery would go down to purple but would recharge going down the hill but this time it barely recharge then going up a small hill car died abs light came on vcs and triangle light pulled over let and car sit awhile then started again but when accelerater was pushe'd all the way down car would vibrate still lack of power battery will charge slowly when in park but drops down fast with any more then usual acceleration and takes forever to build up unless I baby it I had hv battery replace 20000 miles ago so took it back in where its under warranty the hv battery tested fine and they don't know why it's not charging or when it does why drops so fast they put it another car and it worked fine they also don't know why it has no power and shakes ..only code shows is for the catalytic convertor p0420 I have been burning way more oil then usual for the last 6 months anyone have any idea what this could be and any decent mechanics in Riverside or OC

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! How many miles on the car? 12V Aux-battery? :( HV Traction-Battery? :eek: :eek: :(:sick: - Good luck!

3. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have more than a p0420 code if the red triangle is on. You need a dealer level scan tool or mini VCI to pull the codes. Pull the codes then try to reset them.

Where did you have the battery replaced?

How much oil are you burning? This may explain the p0420 code.

4. Boogie

Boogie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The red triangle turned off right after i turned the car back on
    I had it replaced at a placed called battery4pruis they pulled the codes and all they got was the p0420 I'm burning a quart every 2000 miles

5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At 222k miles it has the right to burn a little oil. I'm glad your red triangle went off. Keep us posted.