1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 hybrid battery drains overnight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pro-289, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I got a 2008 model, only owner. It has 107K miles. I've noticed something the last couple months now. When I park the car in the garage after coming home from work it has a full charge, about 3 bars below top, it's at the max of the blue color.

When I start the car in the morning it still displays the same level. But after driving down the road about 3 blocks it seems to update slowly and drops the level, sometimes down to the brown, about 3 bars high. The car will run rough for a while almost every morning now since it's not using the hybrid battery to smooth things out.

Ever since owning the car I've noticed it can run rough sometimes normally, like when you're at a train crossing and the battery drops to 2 or 3 and the engine powers on to charge it up a bit. When I drive away you hear the engine a lot louder than usual as it seems to be running on engine only until the hybrid battery gets sufficiently charged and you feel a lack of power as you accelerate.

Is the overnight draining an indication of a failing hybrid battery?

Also as a side note, for many months now my flat tire light (!) has been on, even though I air up the tires. I do have a slow leak in the rear driver tire that I've been battling for months now. I think it's been low more than not so it appears the sensor for that tire is just stuck.

I've also noticed the electronics altered my fuel gauge due to the flat tire light. I used to be able to go all the way to ~400 miles per fill up. But now it's ~300 miles. One time I had 1 bar of fuel and it only took about 7.5 gallons to fill it up, which definitely shows the fuel gauge is off. Not sure if a prolonged flat tire light has any long-term affects on the engine and/or battery.

jeff652 likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That warning light is not the flat tire symbol. It's a different warning

Your battery is getting weaker but it's normal operation in the morning for it to dip more on a weaker battery.

S Keith likes this.
  3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Very normal to drop a bar or two. Sometimes even more with heavy A/C use, BUT if this is new behavior, it is likely sign of a failing battery.

I recommend you conduct the discharge test linked in my signature to assess your battery health.

That is normal at a low state of charge with heavy A/C use or extended sitting with the ICE off. The car force-charges the battery and refuses to use the battery for propulsion.

Battling a slow leak for months? How do you do that? Take it to a tire shop. If they can't repair it, replace it. Battle over.

I can't imagine that condition contributed to the range or battery issue unless it also contributed to reduced mileage. The Gen2 has a fuel bladder, so the amount you fill up is somewhat random depending on how stretchy the bladder is that day.

Again, I recommend you conduct the discharge test EXACTLY as described in the link in my signature. It will give a good approximation of the state of your battery.

Steve

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car is exhibiting the same symptoms as my bought new 2007 at 95K miles. You didn't mention where you live but I bet its a warm climate like me. Cabin heat is a battery killer.

Your battery is showing its age. You have an excellent option available to you though. Since the car has not thrown a Hybrid DTC none of the battery modules have thrown a hard failure yet but thats coming eventually so it is an excellent candidate for a Hybrid battery Charger which will extend the life and rejuvenate that tired battery. I bought mine a few months aback and plan on using it this weekend. They work.
    The cars software does not allow the Hybrid Battery to be 100% charged due mainly to the heat it generates. The charger is outside the cars software so you can achieve a 100% charge under controlled and cooled conditions.
    The company that sells the charger is seeing great results on this site. They are sponsored on this site.

Hybrid Automotive.com

Btw, the light you are seeing is the Tire Pressure sensor and its not because the tire is flat usually at your age but the battery of the sensor itself has died. Battery's in these last about 7-9 years. The battery is integral to the little sensor. Its kinda expensive to replace the sensor as after replacement you have to go into the techstream software and install the sensor new serial number for the car to see it. Unless you have a mini vci that's a dealer deal.
    Sensors are $50 each on amazon.com plus tire install each tire plus dealer charge to fix the serial listing in the software.

And your mileage is tanking because you have alot less hybrid battery assist. Its all motor now. The fact that the car is unhappy enough that its having drivibility issues tells me the hybrid battery is getting ready to throw a hard failure. Mine drives ok...mileage is getting bad and the battery goes empty much quicker.
    Cabin heat. Especially if you don't use the ac. I use the ac every second but man its hot down here.

jeff652 likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (!) Is not related to tires, there is a different warning light that looks similar for tires, not with the exclamation

6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    If the discharge test suggests deteriorated capacity, I would recommend the HA reconditioning system.

jeff652 likes this.
  7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys for the recommendations. Pro-289, your battery sounds like an ideal candidate for our products. We have had scores of Prius owners in your exact situation benefit from our products. You can read more about them here:
    Prolong Grid Charger FAQ - Hybrid Automotive

Feel free to give us a call at 800-589-0730 if you would like to discuss your options.

:)
    Jeff

8. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is the indicator light I see, the tire pressure warning light. Kind of looks like my interpretation (!).
    Maybe I should have did this (!). Youtube video here.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to try to reset the indicator light using the reset switch below the steering column. I did a quick search and found this thread about the reset button. I had no clue there was a button for that. I'll give that a try first. But edthefox5 is probably correct, it does seem like a bad sensor battery since the sensors are going on 8 years old now. So I'll probably be replacing all sensors sometime soon. It was interesting to see a sensor, I've always wondered how that system worked but never bothered to research.

I have to think about what I want to do with my hybrid battery. Maybe I'll run some of those tests soon.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a lot problems for a one owner 2008 w/ 107k. does it see heavy usage?

10. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, just normal wear and tear. 20 miles to work, 20 miles home. Seems like average problems when you look at the average timeframe for these things to fail. I've already replaced my Aux 12v battery that had very low volts a few K miles back. I suppose I was lucky to get 7 years out of the original battery. Replaced the tires I think 3 times now.

I do drive like a nut though. This thing drives kind of sporty, at least to me. Actually has some good acceleration. I got pissed off a while back when I was behind some slow driving old people is a Prius. Light turns green and they were so light on the gas, like trying save every penny of their 50MPGs. Annoying as hell when people drive like dead old people in their Priuses.

Also, I tried the tire pressure reset button and it did nothing. Probably indicating failing pressure sensors.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you live in the boston area?:oops:

12. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your products page could use some updating. It's very confusing on what product is needed for what purpose. You have to dig deep into every item to see what their purpose is and if you need it. There's no explanation of what the items are and what you might need in the future. A more informative main product page might sell your products more easily. I guess you're expecting someone who gets to your product page to already know what they need/want. Sometimes that's not the case.

You have 14 products, which do I need for the particular task I want to complete?

EDIT: Also, your "Prolong Simple Discharger", 2 light bulb sockets. Really, $50?

#12 Pro-289, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the one in the priuschat shoppe should be correct.

14. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure, happy to help, the Prolong Battery Reconditioning Package has everything needed to easily recondition your hybrid battery at home. This package is ideal for people who have already degraded hybrid batteries, or batteries that are showing a fault (DTC) code.
    Prolong™ Battery Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

The Prolong 'Discharge Ready' Battery Charger is recommended for batteries that are beginning to show signs of deterioration. This version of our systems are compatible with the Prolong Battery Dischargers. Many of our customers opt to perform in-car battery reconditioning as their batteries age, which requires both a charger and a discharger. The Discharge Ready option allows for easy 'Plug-and-play' addition of a Prolong Discharger later.
    Prolong™ 'Discharge Ready' Battery Charger - Hybrid Automotive

The Prolong 'Standard' Battery Charger Package is designed to be used as preventative maintenance for healthy hybrid batteries. The Standard package allows for charging and balancing of the hybrid battery, but does not support battery reconditioning (deep discharging of the battery). By occasionally using the Standard charger system as preventative maintenance, battery degradation can be significantly delayed and often eliminated for the service life of the vehicle.
    Prolong™ 'Standard' Battery Charger - Hybrid Automotive

You are welcome to build you own discharger. We have customers who buy just the plug with leads from us often. Feel free to give us a call if interested 800-589-0730 in this option.

15. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've noticed an odd thing after experimenting with the battery drainage every morning.

I've noticed if I start the car in the morning and drive off immediately while it's still in battery mode, it's a sure thing to watch the battery icon drain rapidly while driving the first 2 minutes. It drops all the way down to the 2 bar minimum from a full blue. The engine runs really rough for the first ~10 minutes of driving until it reaches the maximum top blue or green.

If I start the car and count to 45+ seconds (30 doesn't work) after the engine starts, the battery icon will not drain down at all, it stays where it was at high blue. The car will run rough, but not as bad as before. It's as if the battery is low and the car is in charge mode so it makes the engine run rough until it's charged up enough, but not displaying it to me. So either the display is wrong or it's in battery charge mode when it shouldn't be.

Seems like a bug in the OS to me. I wonder how many others there are buried deep.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not a bug, it is by design. If you wait a bit longer (with the HVAC off) for the ICE to stop (should take 55 sec with the battery on 6 bars) before driving off, you will find the engine runs smoother (unless you have other engine issues).

See the "Hybrid Warm up: 5 modes of Prius Operation." link in my sig for a better understanding of what is happening.

What you are experiencing is the Prius still in stage 1 and in this stage primary propulsion is via the electric motor, once the warm up progresses to stage 2 the ICE reconfigures to take over driving duties. When your HV battery is in a poor condition, stage 1 takes a heavy toll. If you can wait for stage 2, it is much more gentle on the HV battery, as you have experienced also. (Caveat: if you press the go pedal to the floor in stage 1, all bets are off and the Prius reconfigures for power and skips straight to stage 2. There is a slight hesitation while it does this.)

#16 dolj, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  17. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto the above.

It sounds like you have a minor engine issue, maybe a tune-up item. Have you ever cleaned the MAF sensor? Also check and clean the throttle body. The plugs and PCV valve are probably original, you might want to change them. Maybe some injector cleaner. Basic tuneup stuff for a modern engine, not bad for 100K+ miles.

It's tempting to think such an advanced electronic system is all controlled by programming, but there's still an internal combustion engine in there with parts that get dirty and wear out.