1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 issues after catalytic converter theft

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kp123, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Kp123

Kp123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, my catalytic converter was stolen from my ‘08 about two weeks ago and I just got my aftermarket replacement yesterday. I had someone weld it back onto the original resonator piece and installed it. It sounds just like it did but there are some massive issues that I’ll list.

-all dash lights came on including light on the top left corner of the touch screen saying switching to EV mode isn’t possible

-it will not charge the battery (sits at one purple bar) and as described in the first bullet it won’t go into EV mode

-there is no power at all and engine revs moderately high to get the car going

-engine sporadically revs up and down while stopped

-the fan in the cabin for cooling the battery pack is constantly on and running high even though it’s only 55 degrees F

-the car is smoking from the exhaust tip and smells bad (I assume this is the catalytic converter burning some stuff)

My car ran perfectly before this theft and now is just a bundle of issues. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this from a simple cat install? Thanks a bunch!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Which aftermarket Cat was installed, and was a new oxygen sensor installed as well?

Generally speaking, if there are warning lights on the dash, then there will be OBD2 codes (DTCs) stored in the ECUs. Knowing the OBD2 codes (DTCs), and any associated subcodes (INFs) can potentially assist in solving the problem in a timely fashion. You will need a toyota hybrid compatible, many like to use techstream (dealer technician diagnostics software) installed on a windows device (or emulated), others might use a obd2 bluetooth or wifi adapter with an App like Dr Prius, Torque, or Hybrid Assistant

You might try taking the vehicle to all of the surrounding auto parts chain stores (autozone, oriellys, pepboys, carquest, AAP) for a 'free code scan', each location (even within the same chain) may offer a different scanner, and if you're lucky, one may actually have a toyota hybrid compatible scanner. Record the results, and post any retrieved codes (DTCs) in this thread for further guidance.

You may have a failing HV battery from sitting, but the OBD2 codes will point you in the right direction.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.