1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Malfunction and trouble codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LC39B, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Norie

Norie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I had enough of the dealer in Pensacola, so I went to anothre Toyota dealer in Daphne, Al. I had to pay $102 for A/C disgnostic w/military discout. It's a lot better than $156 @my hometown dealer! They told me I need a new morter for A/C; $149.00-part, $103.88-labor, sigh.... I'm so tired of the car business in the U.S. I'm from Japan. Since I came to the states, I've always owned Japanese cars; 1-Honda & 5-Toyotas. It's because I'm a female, the dealers seem trying to take advantage of me. I'm getting enough of Toyota now...I'm thinking about writing to Mr. Toyota about the dealers in the U.S. haha... I'm so glad and thankfull thant I've found this site! Thank you so much for the helpful infos & tips, guys!!

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Come back here anytime you have a question and, thanks for your service to our country.

3. Norie

Norie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanx, usnavystgc! But my hubby's in the Navy, now retired... Anyway, after paying $102 for A/C diagnostic to the next town dealer, my A/C-heater started working fine!!!; I did tried as Britprius suggested to turn the fan(?) by my fingers, but that didn't make a lot of difference, so I finally took my Prius to another dealer. So I'll see how long that will last.
    Next question is how often I should change oil for my '08 Prius. I've been doing every 5k miles ever since I bought my Prius, believing they were using synthetic oil, turned out they were using conventional oil! I thought conventional oil was every 3k miles & synthetic is every 5k miles. And since nex town dealer's synthetic oil change is the same price as my hometown dealer's regular oil change, I'm thinking about switching to synthetic next time, which is 75k miles check-up. My car is 5 yrs old now. If I change to synthetic, should I still change every 5k miles? Is 0W20 better than 5W30??

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every 5k is fine with synthetic and many will tell you that (depending on driving conditions), you can go up to 10k on synthetic. I personally do the 5k change.

As for the 0W20 question. I personally believe it is better and I use it on my 06. Pcola weather is hotter than KY but, 0w20 should be fine for your climate.

5. Norie

Norie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed that most of newer Hondas & Toyotas require 0W20 now. I'm really thinking to switch to synthetic @75k check-up. If I can really go for 10k after that, it's amazing! Thanks!!