1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008, many issues after cat was stolen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by A.J. Tarnas, Nov 4, 2022.

1. A.J. Tarnas

A.J. Tarnas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm working on a friend's 2008 gen2. i forget how many miles, maybe 200k. in CA.

summary: car would die randomly. seems to be working today. many issues to solve. techstream seems to show misfires and "fuel empty". dr prius shows weak hv battery.

full story:
    it has one or more electrical gremlins. dash is often unlit, needs combo meter capacitor R&R. one of the headlights flickers. the cat was stolen. friend drove it with a straight pipe for a while. car would intermittently refuse to start. hv battery seemed like it wouldnt charge. gas motor seemed like it wouldnt turn on sometimes, friend would drive for a a few hundred feet and the car would shut down. i wasnt there for this and friend is not mechanically inclined.

towed to my place from mechanic shop. mechanic had found codes p0340, p3190, p3193 and replaced the camshaft position sensor due to suspected rodents chewing wires.

i then replaced straight pipe with used CARB cat (and forward O2 sensor) from my 2005 parts prius. 12v dead to 10v. trickle charged back up to 12.4v. cleaned air filter housing, MAF (had a rodent poop sitting on the bulb), removed the throttle body and cleaned it.

set up techstream on laptop. car turned to IG-ON. fine. car to ACC. fine. car to READY -- fine. all electrical seems to work and gas motor turned on to recharge hv battery for a couple minutes, then stopped running, like normal.

collected as much data as i could with car parked. only second time using techstream.

drove car for 2-3 miles. got up to 40mph. accelerate and brake fast. tried to put it through its paces without getting too far from home. collected techstream data. also tried dr prius and got some screenshots.

nothing seems really wrong. no major codes. inverter pump was replaced last year and seems fine. fuses all seem fine.

attached are screenshots of some of the data.

i'm seeing some odd numbers for "misfire", and the fuel is listed as "empty" (there's at least 4gal in the tank, though it may actually be almost full). dr prius made clear that the pack voltage drops into red when accelerating quickly from 10-40mph.

taking on a longer test drive soon, when i have time to get it towed if it fails.

any theories for what's wrong? we'll likely replace the $1000-$3000 hv and $250 12v battery when finances allow. but my friend is poor. they may have to stop putting money into this car.

Attached Files:

#1 A.J. Tarnas, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The B1271 code you have means the gateway ECU can't communicate with the combination meter. That could be related to weird fuel level being reported, as that information comes from the combo meter. Did you say that capacitor repair has been done, or is still needed?

A.J. Tarnas likes this.
  3. A.J. Tarnas

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    not done yet.

4. A.J. Tarnas

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    today we replaced the cursed capacitor on the combo meter / instrument cluster. did not fix it. i suppose next we could get a whole replacement unit.

(what else could prevent the combo meter from working/illuminating?)

5. HowardK

HowardK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the dimmer switch turned all the way down? Did you install the correct capacitor? If so did you install it correctly? Maybe backwards? I used a 22uf 16Volt on mine and it worked great. When you install you have to pay attention to the white line on it(ground) Good luck!

A.J. Tarnas likes this.
  6. A.J. Tarnas

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think we did it right. this is the 4th one we've done (4 different cars).

we bit the bullet and got a new 12v. so far that seems to have solved it. combo meter with new cap and car with new 12v works so far.

that dimmer switch tricked us once years ago... never again!