1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 NAIAS: Toyota announces that clean diesel engines are coming

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [FONT=arial, helvetica]Detroit, Michigan - Toyota Motor Corporation has announced that it will make clean diesel V8 engines available in its Tundra and Sequoia models in the near future. The remarks were made by Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe at a special media reception at the North American International Auto Show, as part of a wide-ranging environmental agenda in response to the company's sustainable mobility vision.

Full Article

What you need to know:
    [/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, helvetica]Watanabe also said that at next year's show, [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Toyota will stage the world premieres of two all-new dedicated hybrids, one for Toyota and one for Lexus.[/FONT]

2. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

So does the press release reveal no new Prius until the 2010 model year - or does all new indicate another new Toyota hybrid model in addition to the Prius which still could be updated prior to next years Detroit auto show (a.k.a., Prius A, B, and C)?

Could the new Toyota Hybrid be the A model and the Lexus is the C model while the Toyota Prius is B?

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nobody talks about NOX anymore?

wy...it sall co2 these days..

i dont want diesels...:mad:

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Move to California (and the states that have adopted California's particulate emissions standard). Since the end of the 2003 model year, no diesel cars have been sold new in the state. VW was the latest to claim to have a 'clean' diesel; but not 'clean' enough - even with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel....

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice:)

california here i come:D ( like the song );)

6. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The NOX is not an issue any more, since Tier2 Bin5 and SULEV diesels are easily being made now. Check out Ricardo's version that doesn't even need catalytic reduction.

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is yesterday's news. Mercedes-Benz is leasing their 2008 E-Class CDI in CARB states now. You will see many more diesels in the future.

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

And only lease, no purchase because of the urea requirement. By leasing (with free service), they can enforce the urea to be filled. That is the only way they can sell in CA now.

The 2.0liter TDI does not require urea, so it is okay to be sold (I think Sept 08).

The Honda 2.2 Diesel is supposed to be maintenance free (as to the cox management system). There are rumor of it coming to the Accord maybe around 09 or 10 model year.

Wonder what Toyota's diesel engine is like though?

9. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    use of filters and a cemical sollution?
    sorry dont like that:)

and what about the micro dust from diesel engine's dont now the english word for it.. KOOL?

when i am behind a common rail diesel engine from 2007 with my bike or when i am behind a 1990 petrol engine I realy prever driving behind a 1990 pertrol......it smells bad behind any diesel... and you can see the diesel black dust sometimes comming out of the exhaust

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about particulates (for the term for the 'micro dust')? Particulates from diesel exhaust have been linked to all manner of lung disease.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They have new cat. converters to eliminate the particulate matter (I think they called them flash converters). Many still need the injection of a special fluid (Mercedes for example) to handle the NOx but exceptions are becoming more common, especially in the smaller size engines.

None of these vehicles will run for long on the just changing high sulfur fuel, but that fuel should be gone soon, even in the US.

If Toyota ever decides to try a diesel hybrid, they will have fun with the engineering. Getting the thing to be clean -and- start/stop all the time will be challenging.

12. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok

particulate matter

nice to see you need a car to inject some "special fluid " to get it clean

yes getting diesel AND special fluid at the pump:(

maybe ty need to make petrol engine's better

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "special fluid" is refilled at the dealership when you service the car.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok
    buth i think its only a crossbrigde for a real solution

when i have a car that wil not work anylonger like its suposed to when i dont get it to a special dealer i dont wanna buy that car

the prius i can service myself nothing special to keep it running the way it should

15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I doubt that the California Air Resources Board will grant a waiver for a maintenance procedure. They have been pretty consistent in their position that emission controls must operate without intervention for the term of the emission control system warranty (for AT-PZEV hybrids, it s 10 years/150,000 miles). Which is why no new diesel car sales in California since the end of MY2003.

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Merc got just that... but its an EV1 like resolution. That is why Merc can only allow you to lease one in CA since Merc dealership will be doing doing the maintenance during the lease period.

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wonder what happens to the cars after lease end? Does MB have to transport the cars out of state for sale? Crush them (like the EV-1)? Or????

Edit: After checking mbusa.com, it appears that the 'waiver' is for a limited scale pilot: "In California, a limited number of Model Year 2007 E320 BLUETEC vehicles are available for a limited duration and mileage lease only. No purchase option available." (Source: Mercedes-Benz USA | Browser Upgrade Required ) It will be interesting to see what CARB does for the 2008 model year.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    True, but a diesel hybrid won't be like a Prius. The diesel would run continuously to generate electricity. Diesel-electric hybrids aren't new. They are called locomotives.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i am not a diesel fan:D but have you never seen commen rail diesels?
    ist nothing like a locomotiv:D

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The common rail diesel is just one form of diesel engine technology. The locomotive analogy was directed at the present diesel-electric locomotive technology where a diesel engine powers an electric generator that in turn powers a huge electric motor that provides movement of the locomotive (and all that is connected to the locomotive).

There remains the problem of particulate emissions with any diesel technology.