1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid Saving Gasoline, Quickly

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 28, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I took a Nissan Altima Hybrid for a test drive late last winter when they first came out. Nice car. Very limited cargo space. Poor finish (trunk lined with cardboard, for example). Pretty much the same mileage and price as the Camry (yes, slightly different, and difficult to compare due to different options/equipment).

I concluded the Prius was a much better buy as it was a more efficient body design, got much better mileage, and is much more adaptable. So I bought one. :)

The 2.5 L Nissan engine uses an internal balancer, which has given trouble in the past. Some have broken, destroying the engine. Many of those who race Nissans with this engine remove the balancer because of this. I assume they adapted the 2.5L to hold the intake valves open at the start of the compression cycle to make it run the Atkinson cycle, like the Prius (and Camry?).

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the part about catching on fire. They've had two recalls on that now :(.

You're one of the lucky ones. I've yet to see a NAH at the dealer's lot. None for test drive whatsoever. Heck. people don't even know it existed cause there isn't any in the showroom - It's always the 3.5SE version :rolleyes: