1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Power Windows Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dkafrissen, Apr 17, 2013.

1. dkafrissen

dkafrissen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I was out Saturday and suddenly my front driver side window stopped working. All the other windows work fine but the front one wont go up, or down, and is stuck down.
    I took into the dealer who were unable to reset it, and did not have a switch in stock, as they said this was rare. They wanted to charge me $600 for parts and labor. I bought the switch online for $50 and am just waiting for it to arrive.

Does anyone know if I need to remove the entire door panel or can I just remove the switch and replace, and any help in doing this would be appreciated.

I think it is nuts they want $600 for a switch and something that should be simple, and I hope this solves the problem.

Thanks
    D

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    **Mod Note** Moved to the Gen II equivalent of Care, Maint, T/S.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are six plastic claws and clips that secure the window switch assembly (which contains the various power window switches) to the arm rest. You need to pry the assembly out.

The repair manual suggests taping the end of a flat-blade screwdriver to reduce the likelihood of causing damage to the arm rest and switch assembly.

4. dkafrissen

dkafrissen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HI thanks for the reply, so I can just remove the assembly without the door. That is great, no idea why it would cost so much.
    David

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealers kid needed braces that week, you were the down payment?:eek:

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did the service dept specifically say the switch was bad? Sounds more like the cost to replace the motor/regulator. Just asking.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Without getting out a volt-ohm meter and making some measurements, there is no way to know what is wrong. The dealers will often just throw parts at electrical problems, so the switch replacement is just a guess at this point. The dealer didn't have switches because they just don't go bad.

So I will be curious to hear what happens, but spending some time troubleshooting first would be better.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP has not posted back so I will not assume anything for them. The service manual covers this subject very good.

9. dkafrissen

dkafrissen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went to check the switch yesterday to see how easy to remove. I discovered the dealer HADN"T PLUGGED IT BACK IN ALL THE WAY. Yes, they are total morons. Fortunately I didn't fall for the BS and pay them $600.

Judy Ruot-Jackson likes this.
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did they say it was the switch only?

11. dkafrissen

dkafrissen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, and he gave me the part number which is what I bought on line, and didn't need.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    PM me if you would like more info. I'm off for now, work nights. Will check back later if needed. Out.