1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius 150k miles - Recomended services?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by frayz, Apr 19, 2013.

1. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. So I bought this car at 48k miles about three years ago and just clicked the 100k miles driven mark. I haven't had to do much to this car except oil, tires, and a brake light sensor switch($50).

@ 70k or 90k I took it to the dealer to check the trans fluid and they said it was find didn't need flushing.

@ 130k I had it in for the recalls on the inverter pump(?) and the steering shaft. They also changed the oil, but only recomended an air filter change.

I think I should probably do the plugs since I haven't yet. Any other thoughts?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    1. You need to drain/refill both coolant loops with Toyota SSL coolant at 100k miles and every 50k miles thereafter, but the Inverter coolant was probably refreshed as part of the pump recall.
    2. The Transmission fluid (Toyota type WS) should have been drained and refilled twice by now. The dealers do not care if your transmission fails out of warranty. I suggest a first D/R (there is no "Flush") at 30k miles and then every 60k miles thereafter.
    3. The Plugs should have been replaced a while ago (every 100k miles) as well as the PCV valve.
    4. Oil should be changed every 5k miles - I use synthetic which some suggest can go 10k miles.
    5. Both air filters (engine and cabin) should be replaced at 30k mile intervals.
    Make a point to read the owners manual.

JeffD

Merkey likes this.
  3. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The only thing I would add is to double check that the inverter coolant was drained and refilled when the recall was done; sometimes hoses are crimped off and the system is just topped off. Otherwise good recommendations.

4. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sell it. Now.

5. frayz

frayz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This dealer has a "lifetime" warranty. so i'm not sure if they are just trying to screw me or whatever.

probably will do the transmission soon. i've heard clashing arguments on the spark plugs, but it is about time they get swapped. I change the oil religiously at 5k and both air filter probably every 20k because of the dusty environment.

i've read the owners manual. I usually discount a lot of that because they say brake fluid should be drained and refilled every 30k. which is BS.