1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius - 189,000mi- ???s and Concerns

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Phoenix, Mar 2, 2016.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello Everyone! It's been quite a few years since I've been here and posted. I owed a number of 2002 Prii and enjoyed being in the Prius fold. After I parted with my last Prius, I was lost for a few years until just last Friday I purchased a 2008 Prius, with 188,000 mi.; mostly because it was a Prius and in my price range. I made this post to get any comments I can get on what I may expect with this Prius, if the battery will need replacing, and how can I find out if it has been already. Also if there is anything I should be mindful of with a Prius, with this many miles. I always got incredible advice and information when I had posted in the past I'm looking forward to reading all comments I will receive. Thank you

2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The first thing I would do would be is establish yourself an account at Toyota.com and do a VIN search for the vehicle's service history. Any dealer applied service will be listed there and if the vehicle was owned by a studious previous owner(s) they could log their service history on Toyota's site as well. Short of having a well documented service history from the seller this would be your best starting point supplemented by an independent mechanical inspection.

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    also, just plug the VIN into google -- and maybe duckduckgo or one other search engine of your choice.

Mostly, esp. from Google, you will get a passel of places such as CarFax that want to charge you for a VIN report, which depending on your mood might not be the worst idea -- sometimes independent repair shops show up on those reports.

But, you also may find things for free,tucked away on easy to access databases such as a reported accident -- a picture of the car sitting in an auction yard three years ago, etc. Worth a shot.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you keep this Prius for at least 35,000 miles it is likely you will need to address the high voltage battery.
    Get a feel for oil usage, as most high mileage Prius burn oil to some degree.
    Take a look at the brakes just so you have a baseline.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i agree with all of the above. it's a high mileage car, like any high mileage car, and you should be prepared for anything to break at any time. can we tell you that something will break? no, but the odds go up with mileage and age. some people have great success for several hundreds of thousands of miles. all the best!(y)

6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you all for the starting suggestions, I will be having it looked at on Sunday for mechanical soundness. It has been driving well but I am concerned about the hybrid battery I'm only getting about 40mi/gallon; it may be the little snap of cold weather or my driving style not sure but still concerned. Is there any visual clues to tell if the battery has been replaced? Also is it possible to monitor, SOC with a scan gauge II?

7. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    re: ". . . I'm only getting about 40mi/gallon "

With brand new tires and Winter gas my 2005 boasts of 40+mpg around town and over 50 on the road.

- - - - - - - - - -
    My now retired, '98 F-150 was down to 10-12 mpg around town and 17 on longer trips. It was the innocent victim of two careless drivers.. . . . One cell phone addicted driver rear ended it at a stop light. Their Oldmobile was totaled. And the F-150's gas mileage went down. . . . Two months later, a brand new, teenage driver broadsided the F-150 in a parking lot.. And gas mileage went down again.

#7 Eastside, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For what it's worth, during warm months my wife consistently gets 44mpg with every tank in our '08. During the winter months she's getting 37 - 38mpg. I attribute it to colder weather, winter mix fuel, and studded snow tires (non-low-rolling-resistance).

She travels for work, so those numbers are for mostly highway miles @ 75mph... definitely not driving for max efficiency.