1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius, 191K miles, Warning lights & Code p3000 -safe to drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Erik4K, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Erik4K

Erik4K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    first time posting, so please forgive me if some of my terminology isn't the best. I have a 2008 Gen 2 Prius, 191K miles, that has recently had a number of warning lights show up on the instrument cluster- Red Triangle, Brake System (circled exclamation mark within parenthesis), VSC, and CHECK, as well as hybrid system warning light (car with exclamation over it) on the multi-information display. It still drives okay, and I've driven it about 3 times since this issue started.

I have the Dr. Prius app, which has for months shown that one of the traction battery blocks is problematic (very low voltage in block 3 compared to the other 13). The battery charge on the multi-information display can wildly swing from 1 or 2 purple bars, to nearly all green bars and back down in less than 5 minutes. I've suspected for some time that I'll eventually need to replace the traction battery, (as per the Dr. Prius app's Life Expectancy test) but it ran without warnings (until now) for the 1.5 years I've owned it. It is the vehicle's original HV battery. I checked the battery code with the app- p3000 (it didn't show any 3-digit suffix), but so far I have NOT seen the PA080 code. I'll clear the code and warning lights, but they'll show up upon starting the car the next time. Also, the traction battery's fan blows loudly sometimes, until I clear the codes.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the issue is that it's time to replace the traction battery. My question to the forum is- Is it a bad idea to drive it now that the battery has deteriorated to where all these codes show up? Do I risk damaging the engine and/or car overall? Do I risk engine failure and a possible accident? I would only be making short grocery, etc. runs, 5 miles on 30MPH roads, some slight hills. Would these shorter, slower drives be okay, at least until I see code PA080, or should I just keep it in the driveway until I can replace the traction battery?

I've attached some pictures of what's mentioned above. IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2369.PNG IMG_2370.PNG IMG_2384.PNG IMG_2377.PNG

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can drive it, but i wouldn't take it anywhere a breakdown would be inconvenient.

the hybrid battery starts the engine. if it fails, it won't start, and you'll have to have it towed.

how is the 12v health?

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan to replace the pack then you can drive it till it overheat and fails, which if you're lucky won't happen until Summer... But if you or a friend like's to work on cars you could swap that module out with a replacement module that only cost $30 and learn a valuable skill and save a ton of money! And if you go that route, the sooner you work on it the more reliable the pack will be in the future...

4. Erik4K

Erik4K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The 12-volt battery is all good, as near as I can tell. According to the Carfax report, a new one was put in in Jan. 2019. I did accidentally drain it (left the rear dome light on for a week!) late last December, but since the jump start everything’s been fine with it.

Thanks for your reply!

5. Erik4K

Erik4K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don’t really have access to a garage. I’ve watched a number of YouTube videos on the module swapping and battery replacing processes, but that might be a bit beyond my abilities! Is it likely I would see the PA080 code before the pack is ready to fail for good so I would have a little warning the failure has become more imminent, or does that not show til the battery has already overheated and died?

Thanks for the information!

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're still at pre-failure stage... You just have a voltage imbalance in P3000 and not at PA080 yet... But soon... A charge and balance and reconditioning with a system from Maxx Volts or hybrid automotive might extend the lifespan a bit. Keep your eye on the battery temps and keep them cool if you want to maximise what's left of your pack.

7. Erik4K

Erik4K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for all the codes clarification & battery temp advice. I’ll look into Maxx Volts and the other.

PriusCamper likes this.