1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius 28 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beany, Jun 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Beany

Beany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2008 Prius.
    240,000 miles
    my gas mileage has dropped to 28 mpg.

Dealer wants 500.00 to check it out. I do not trust the dealers.

How do I tell if it's the hybrid battery getting ready to go up?

bisco likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What warning lights are on if any?

If lights are on, you will need to retrieve the fault codes. Then you will have a clue about whether the problem is with the engine or the traction battery or some other system.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Poor gas MPG could be due to variety of factors.
    1) HV Battery going bad. Some common symptoms people have experienced before the dash lights up:
    1) Big swings in SOC (State of Charge) of the battery, on the MFD (Multi Function Display): GREEN to Blue/Purple, VERY QUICKLY!
    2) Do you hear the HV Battery fan in the back? You should NOT hear it at all. If you hear it, it could be due the fan being clogged. Or most likely, the HV Battery is overheating b/c some of the module(s) are bad, and overheating, causing the fan to go to HIGH to try and cool the HV pack.
    3) Gas engine always running, even when the SOC shows the battery is near full or full, even w/ the AC/heater off.
    4) Lack of power when accelerating.​
    2) Front brake dragging?
    Do one or both front wheels and brakes seem HOT at the end of a "normal" drive?
    This is usu due to poor brake maintenance, and usu due to caliper pins that have NOT been cleaned and lubed as GOOD routine maintenance would require of the front disc brake caliper pins.​
    3) No junk in the trunk?
    The trunk and passenger compartment is empty, no unnecessary weight due to things.
    I'll take a look at yours for $50 and a foot long subway tuna sandwich. :); $58 total cost. Too bad on the other coast.

They must think you are made of money or know you have a wealthy benefactor, or want to steer you into a new car or "new" used car on their lot.

Consider getting a OBD2 code reader, preferably Techstream.
    Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are convenient (small and portable) but junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance? Free code reading at auto parts stores is also limited b/c they are NOT using Techstream. However, being able to read some codes is better than no codes.

"But I don't DIY." Getting the codes read at a Toyota dealership will set you back $100+; $500 in your case. The cost of the hacked Techstream from Amazon will pay for itself.

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($18+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. May have to return/buy a few, as some cables have problems. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up here. Private Sales | PriusChat

#3 exstudent, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

at that mileage, its hard to know where to start. I've never heard of more than $150. for a check it out, i would call some more dealers

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes 500 is kinda steep. I would avoid that dealer.