1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius and getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tammyvoje, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius two days ago, I live in MN and I drive one hour to work.
    Any advice on getting the car ready for the cold that's coming or advice on what I should expect?
    PLease give me some advice.

thanks, Tammy

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An engine block heater is a really good item to have if you park outside (even if you park in an unheated garage).

You might need a new 12V aux battery to handle your bitterly cold MN winter. Chances are the 12V battery in your 08 is original. The 12V is not hard to replace in ideal conditions but would be a nightmare on a cold, dark night.

If you can afford another set of wheels with snow tires, you'd be better off than with all season tires. I have driven three winters with my 05 Prius in SE Michigan. Although the tires I have on the car now handle snow decently, I would prefer snow tires because my car has traction control which has a mind of its own so to speak.

Other than that, your Prius should behave pretty much like any other car you've driven. Starting it won't be a problem at all (just put synthetic oil in the engine;) ).

Tammyvoje likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cut your grill blocking foam pipe insulation and fit it now, so it's ready to go when the thermo drops. make sure you have a first aid kit, snow shovel, blanket, k rations and water in the car, etc. all the best!(y)

4. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base