1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Battery Doesn't Charge Right Away

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by darkflux, Jan 6, 2020.

1. darkflux

darkflux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I've read about batteries not charging, and batteries having various issues, but not found this specific issue anywhere on the forums.
    So I turn on the car and drive, and the battery just drains down steadily to one bar (or even to empty once) before I get up to 55 MPH. It stays like that until I've driven for 5 miles, or waited 5 minutes or so, then it quickly charges up again. But until then, it runs solely on the engine, and the OnScreen Display shows it is "charging" the batteries the whole time, but the batteries don't go up at all till approx. 5 mins./miles.
    It happens after leaving the car sitting for a while (over 3 hours or so), and not just overnight, but if I leave it off at work my whole 8 hour shift during the day, when I leave to go home, it does the same thing (even in the summer). If I turn it off and start it back up 2 hours later, it acts normally, but otherwise, it takes some time to get going and charge normally.
    My guess is the ECM, but not sure if anyone else has seen this before. It started doing this about a year ago, and has only gotten worse since then. The car has over 200,000 miles and is 10 years old now, and I'm worried it will shorten the already stressed lifespan of the engine.
    I appreciate any advice.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a new HV battery is needed. Are you still using the OEM after 200k ?

Any lights on the dash or thrown DTCs to be OBD2 scanned?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. darkflux

darkflux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've hit 3 deer in the past decade, but i've dealt with all the damage caused by them, and replaced several parts over the years.
    the HV battery, do you mean the battery array under the back seat? i have tested every battery and they are all a steady voltage when full. within 1% of each other. again, after driving a while, they act normally. it is just on a cold start they take a while before working properly...

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you feel the engine is stressed?
    Try letting the car warm up before you start driving it, many claim it puts less stress on the HV battery.

How are testing the HV battery, are you using a mini-vci cable and torque or some other method?

Is the HV battery original, and have you though about balancing the existing HV battery before it fails?

5. darkflux

darkflux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As i said earlier, i've hit a few deer since i bought the car. the first time, they had to replace the engine, and of course, my cheap insurance co. put in a used replacement. i'm over 200,000 miles, and i've known people who HAVEN'T hit any deer whose cars gave in to issues on less than that. i am pretty good about getting oil changes done (professionally), but beyond that, i've not really had anything done to the vehicle until problems arise. so i am always trying to keep my car problem free, and this is one problem that i'm not sure what the problem IS. so i thought i'd ask the community here, as these forums have always been helpful.

i seldom let the car warm up, except when there is snow outside.

i am not very auto-savvy, though i have taken care of a few issues myself when possible. as such, i could be wrong about this, but doesn't leveling drain and charge the battery array so they are all at the same voltage? i did a voltage test on every single one of the cells in my HV battery, and they were ALL at pretty much the same voltage (according to my multimeter). is there some other way of testing this?

thank you for your help.

6. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know if the high voltage battery is original? If it is, it may be time to consider either rebalancing or replacing it

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your in early stage of battery failure.

Its not so much them all being the same voltage is how much current they can produce under load and do they all do that at the same volume. Are they linear to each other. There not its old age. Expect to see red triangle of death soon.

Your battery may be recoverable to some extent with an external charger/discharger. Lots of us including myself use the Prolong Charger system. They are a site sponsor. It works very well.

There website is

hybridautomotive.com

The alternative is a battery rebuild but honest and professional hybrid battery rebuilders are few and far between. Lots of scammers on Craigslist. You couldn't be bothered listing where you live so cant recommend anyone. None of them live "here".

#7 edthefox5, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, some do :whistle:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Though not directly related, what sort of maintenance have you done so far?

Have you cleaned up the HV battery fan?

Have you had a chance to drain and fill the transmission fluid?

Have you replaced the brake fluid?
    You might try such before driving, wait until the engine stops or let it run for 2 mins. See if your observations change.
    Yes, generally speaking. But it can also potentially recondition a failing battery, which may allow a longer HV battery life.
    There are a few ways, one would be letting the HV battery sit unused for a length of time (days), then take a measurement. The modules that aren't doing all that well will have voltage sag when compare to the others. Another would be to take a live measurement using Torque or Techstream while driving, which will also show the failing modules.

How did the HV battery bus bars and voltage sensing wiring loom look when you were inside the HV battery last?

Raytheeagle likes this.