1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Burning Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jake Joseph, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Jake Joseph

Jake Joseph Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello All,

I have an 08' Prius with 198,000 miles on the clock. The car has been nothing but a delight, with the exception of burning oil.

I previously have done my changes at 5,000 mile intervals by the dealer with a synthetic blend. One day I got the red triangle telling me I have low oil, luckily I keep a quart in the trunk. The next day I had the oil prematurely changed, I've driven about 2,000 miles since that change and figured I'd check the dip stick, and there was only oil on the tip of the dip stick. So I went ahead and added a quart to correct the issue.

Last month after the premature oil change, I went ahead and changed the following:
    Spark Plugs
    Drive Belts
    PCV Valve

I'm just curious if there is anything else I can do besides rebuilding or changing out the motor. 200k miles seems quite premature to change a motor out for a Prius. The vehicle has been very very well maintained over its life.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

2. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search Prius chat. This is fairly common for 150k+ mile engines. Most just switch to a thicker oil to reduce oil use and continue to monitor. Once the oil use gets really bad, then think about replacing/rebuilding the engine.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems to be a common issue, either get a rebuilt engine or keep adding oil. You might notice your catalytic converter going bad soon because of the oil burning

4. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious and I am not no mechanic by all means but have had oil issues from other vehicles. I own a 08' and no issues that have come up other than battery 12 volt that needed replacing, but possibly oil pan gaskets, or any other engine areas? Im just learning about these cars and how they work with the hybrid system, (bear with me :) ) chances did you find out were possibly the oil is leaking from? Cause my 08 has 156. Miles and Im holding my breath. I hope someone can give you good advice. Ill be listening... :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Jake Joseph

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There is a lot to learn about these cars, its a fun time! I don't think its a pan gasket as I've combed over the car with a fine toothed comb looking for leaks with no success in finding any. I'm curious on what people think about this whole thing :)

♡myPeeus likes this.
  6. Jake Joseph

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah it does seem to be common but I was hoping not to hear the rebuilt motor news :( I'll keep an eye on that catalytic converter though :)

7. Jake Joseph

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the advice! I'll keep an eye on her and switch to a thicker oil on my next change :)

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the oil level was only at the bottom of the dipstick then the engine was around 2 quarts low. Hence if you added only one quart you will be too low after only 500 miles.

m.wynn likes this.
  9. Jake Joseph

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That makes sense, I had put a quart in and I was a little past the half way mark. I'm going to keep an eye on the level. I just really don't want to replace the engine.

10. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is very normal in the second generation Prius. Many theory's as to why it happens. Anyway, we've owned many a hybrid in my family and the highest mileage one is a 2005 Prius with around 307k it drinks oil at about a quart every 1500 miles or so. My sister checks it at every fill up. Proud of her! Anyway it runs fine, but I believe it needs a new catalytic converter now, since it's been burning oil for a few years now. She's going to drive it till it completely dies.

We already have a new Catalytic converter ready to go. Hopefully we can install it soon! If you have any questions, let me know!

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One qt will not correct the issue, made it bit better, though. You need to top it to the F mark–don't overfill, though.
    Keep checking your oil at every gas fill and top up to full each time. That way you will also be able to quantify the rate of oil burn.
    Keep an eye on the oil level and keep it at the full mark.

You can try 4 short cycle oil changes, every 1000 miles, using a engine cleaner each time and a fresh filter. Use a good quality synth blend that is inexpensive for this. At the end use a good quality 5W-30 (or appropriate weight for your locale) full synth. Then take the car on a 200 mile road trip where you will be going 70-80 mph for the bulk of it.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How long after the oil change did the first low oil incident (with warning light) occur Jake? That will give you an estimate of how long it took it to burn through 2+ quarts of oil.

Note that the Prius doesn't actually have a low oil level warning, only a low oil pressure warning. So after that first incident with the warning it means that it was driven, at least for a short time, without oil pressure. So the oil consumption may well have stepped up a notch at that point.

At the moment it appears to be around one quart per 1000 miles, so definitely keep an eye on it.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That's the usual story we hear.. Maintained by dealer what could go wrong?
    Next thing you know your getting a check engine light going around corners.
    Because the oil pump is sucking air.
    Dealer does not check the oil before the change. Owner never checks the oil either. Car has been using oil for a long time and nobody knows.
    Low oil scuffs up the oil scavenge ring first. That's the bottom ring which counts on alot of lubrication.After that will be an oil eating monster. Usually eventually piston wrist or main bearing damage.

Btw don't check the oil at the gas pump. Takes quite a while for oil to drain back into the pan especially oil driven VVT sytems which tend to store oil in the cam actuator and VVT filter and galley like the g2 motor.
    Check it first thing in the am before starting the car for an accurate measure.

♡myPeeus likes this.